View Full Version : Westminster Dog Show!

tikeyas_mom
02-19-2012, 08:21 PM
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2012/results/bis/

I'm not sure if this topic has been posted yet, but I figured it would be a good one :)

First of all I want to say Congrats to the Peke Who took best in show!!! (check out link)

What did you guys all think of the results of the Westminster Dog show? Which breed were you voting for best in breed? What is your favorite group winner?

I was personally hoping the Doberman would have taken best in show, but I also lovvvved the GSD! :)

Karen
02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
There is a thread - see http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?121740!

I was kinda pulling for Fifi, too! Or the Dalmatian!

cassiesmom
01-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Bumping up this old thread - only three weeks till the 2013 Westminster show! I wonder if there are any new dog breeds this year. My mom and I always watch it and talk about the biggest, smallest, fluffiest, sleekest, that sort of thing. My favorite part is the announcer who tells you a little about each dog as you are looking at the judging. This breed hunts or herds, or is a lap dog, does police work, is good with children, likes water, runs fast, that sort of thing. I always learn something! But I leave the room when they are doing helper dog stories because those make me cry. I love to watch the dog show every winter :D

Grace
01-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Bumping up this old thread - only three weeks till the 2013 Westminster show! I wonder if there are any new dog breeds this year. My mom and I always watch it and talk about the biggest, smallest, fluffiest, sleekest, that sort of thing. My favorite part is the announcer who tells you a little about each dog as you are looking at the judging. This breed hunts or herds, or is a lap dog, does police work, is good with children, likes water, runs fast, that sort of thing. I always learn something! But I leave the room when they are doing helper dog stories because those make me cry. I love to watch the dog show every winter :D

Here you go - 2 new ones this year - http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2013/show/news/newbreed_100512.html

Karen
01-19-2013, 03:39 PM
And a friend of mine got a rescue dog a few months ago who is at least part Treeing Walker Coonhound - so they will be watching with great interest!

kaycountrygal
01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
I dont have cable now so I dont get to watch it unless parts of it are shown on regular antenna tv. At one time I had a dish and I watched it. I always wanted a dog like mine to win LOL and I was most interested in that category. That would be the toy breed or a Lab because Annie is part Lab we think. I liked to watch all the dogs strut their stuff. Many times it looked as if they were floating because their fur/hair practically covered their feet. Nice show!.

cassiesmom
02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
And I am smiling :D because I know which breed took the Non-Sporting group, but I won't say because I don't want to give it away. But it is a breed that's represented on Pet Talk :D Non-Sporting group winner for BIS!!!

IRescue452
02-12-2013, 12:33 AM
So far we've got the results in for 4 groups. Out of them my vote is for that nice foxhound. Sorry to say but that non-sporting winner is just not gonna get my vote because cute and fluffy takes the show too many times. Overall I was thinking this could be the year for the skye terrier, but that group is last.

pomtzu
02-12-2013, 05:32 AM
Too bad Sandie's t.v. is out because of the blizzard. She would have been ecstatic to see the winner of the non-sporting group! :love::D

cassiesmom
02-12-2013, 10:48 PM
:-| The dog I was rooting for didn't win Best in Show! I am bummed!

My mom was oohing and aahing at the spaniels and laughing at the terriers' little legs as they walked :) We both enjoy watching the Westminster show every year.

Grace
02-12-2013, 10:57 PM
:-| The dog I was rooting for didn't win Best in Show! I am bummed!

My mom was oohing and aahing at the spaniels and laughing at the terriers' little legs as they walked :) We both enjoy watching the Westminster show every year.

Who did you want to win?

Personally, I liked all the final 7 - and was delighted Banana Joe won!!

cassiesmom
02-13-2013, 04:30 AM
Who did you want to win?

Personally, I liked all the final 7 - and was delighted Banana Joe won!!

The Bichon, the Fox Hound or the Old English Sheepdog :) If it was up to me I would give out seven Best in Show ribbons, one for each group! I liked all the final 7 too!

The Old English Sheepdog was awarded Reserve Best in Show - dog people, what does that mean? -- The man who judged the terrier group is from St. Charles, Illinois, which is a western suburb of Chicago; so I'm hoping that he will be interviewed for the newspaper or TV news soon about judging the group and more about the Westminster show. Or maybe he already was and I missed it.

pomtzu
02-13-2013, 05:31 AM
I fell asleep early into the show last night, so didn't see the results until this a.m. Such a cute little guy that one - but did I hear that he is now going back to The Netherlands??? From the category winners on Monday, I was kinda leaning toward the Old English Sheepdog to win (and of course the Bichon ;)) - I always said I wanted a SD - but I like the little lap dog sizes to share my household! :love:

Bonny
02-13-2013, 06:20 AM
What a wonderful show. The Clumber Spaniel caught my eyes. Loved all the dogs thought they were all winners. :D

IRescue452
02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Reserve best in show would be awarded best in show if the winner is determined ineligible to win. Its the runner-up basically.

I was still hoping the foxhound. It makes me think of the days when a person's character was judged by their horsemanship and their dogs. But the affenpinscher is a toy terrier of sorts and terrier's hold the most wins in Westminster history. I remember that same fox terrier took the male win for his breed last year but not the best of breed.

kuhio98
02-13-2013, 03:12 PM
I was rooting for the sheepdog. Bobcat was rooting for the foxhound.

It did seem to me that the smaller dogs were favored. All are winners in my book! :)

cloverfdx
02-14-2013, 08:51 AM
I did not realise the typical (well typical here, pedigree JRT) is now called a Russell Terrier in the USA :confused:. Just doing a quick search and a lot of these 'Russell terriers' are from similar lines to my Harri and his family. Bizarre.

IRescue452
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
The AKC recognizes the Parson Russell and Russell terriers as separate breeds. The Parson Russell used to be called the Jack Russel but I don't know why since it was developed by a guy named John. The Russell terrier is a spinoff of the Parson and its smaller. Really all the Russell terriers could be split up into so many groups if the kennel club wanted because there's so much variety allowed in the breed as far as coat type, height, and even button or prick ears. The Jack Russell in Europe is a short-legged version while a Parson is longer legged.

Karen
02-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Does anyone else think instantly of Pet Talker's dogs when they see certain breeds? I DVR'd the show, so when I was was watching it last night and the Akita came on, my brain said "Katie! Robilee!"

pomtzu
02-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Does anyone else think instantly of Pet Talker's dogs when they see certain breeds? I DVR'd the show, so when I was was watching it last night and the Akita came on, my brain said "Katie! Robilee!"

I do. Of course when I see the Bichon I always think of Sandie's Fluffs, and the Chi's I think of Daisy and Delilah. The Pom??? - no resemblance to Myndi or Lily or Roger or Sissy, so not so much there. And the ShihTzu - way too poofy to look like any of the PT pups of that breed. :eek:

Karen
02-14-2013, 02:48 PM
It's funny, when I see the Bichon, I think of Sandy's fluffs but it is immediately accompanies by "But she would never do THAT to her dogs" to the blow dry fluffing up!

pomtzu
02-14-2013, 02:57 PM
It's funny, when I see the Bichon, I think of Sandy's fluffs but it is immediately accompanies by "But she would never do THAT to her dogs" to the blow dry fluffing up!

I think she posted a pic once of the blow dry fluffed up look - but quite some time ago. I know that isn't the norm tho. They're cute looking like that - like a powder puff on legs. :)

cloverfdx
02-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Doesn't matter.

cassiesmom
02-15-2013, 08:53 PM

I thought the malamute looked just like Glacier's Heyoka, and I thought of PT when I saw the dalmatian, the husky, the Pom, the toller and the Doberman :) I recorded the first night because I couldn't be home to watch it, so I haven't watched it yet.

cassiesmom
02-03-2014, 06:48 PM
The Westminster show starts a week from today! My mom and I watch it and my dad claims he's not interested, but my mom and I know he enjoys it. He especially likes the stories about the helper dogs, and the people and dogs who make therapeutic visits to senior citizens and kids.

Karen
02-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Oooh, thanks, I knew it was coming soon, but not sure when!

cassiesmom
02-07-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm wondering if the USA Network will carry it or if they'll be on Olympic coverage since they're part of NBC. Will have to check.

Karen
02-07-2014, 05:39 PM
I know the agility competition will be televised tomorrow, not sure what channel or time, though!

Grace
02-07-2014, 10:55 PM
I'm wondering if the USA Network will carry it or if they'll be on Olympic coverage since they're part of NBC. Will have to check.

Monday - CNBC

Tuesday - USA

cassiesmom
02-10-2014, 08:16 PM
The hounds! I like hounds! The one I was rooting for didn't win, but that's okay. Hounds are so different from one another in sizes, coats and colors!

cassiesmom
02-11-2014, 12:15 AM
The herding group! Oh my goodness, I wanted to hug each one of them! And the toy group, those dogs just make me smile. They are so little, smart, cute and fun!

Karen
02-20-2014, 04:08 PM
We all know by now that a Terrier won Best in Show at Westminster, and it seem like they win an awful lot ... why do you think this is? Is it just that the breed standards for the terrier and toy group are more exacting than, for example, the ones for Golden Retrievers or Labradors or Shepherds, so the judge is more able to say that particular dog is one no one could find fault with?

Not that there is anything wrong wit Sky, I am sure he's a perfectly nice dog ... and congratulations to him!

IRescue452
02-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Actually its the opposite, the retrievers have a tougher standard. I honestly think its hard to find a terrier that doesn't have the "ready to go" look that judges like. I would have loved to see the bloodhound win but I don't see anything good coming from the most popular breed, the labrador, winning. Good breeders don't want their breed to become so popular that every dog owner thinks they're a breeder when they don't know genetics from a hole in their head.

cassiesmom
02-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Last year's Best in Show winner was the Wire Fox Terrier. I wonder which breed will be the winner this year! There are two new dogs this year, Coton de Tulear- a fluffy white dog from Madagascar, and the Wirehaired Viszla, from Hungary. Maybe one of them will win! My mom and I will watch it together.

Info:
MONDAY & TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 16-17, 2015 6PM-11PM

•Monday to include hound, toy, non-sporting and herding groups (beginning at 8 PM)
•Tuesday to include Junior Showmanship, sporting, working, terrier groups and BEST IN SHOW (beginning at 7:30 PM)

Monday night is LIVE ON CNBC from 8-11 PM Tuesday night is LIVE ON USA from 8-11 PM

Grace
02-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Read an interesting article last evening about an English Mastiff who will be competing this year -

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/upperarlington/news/2015/02/03/top-ranking-lands-brody-a-westminster-invitation.html

Karen
02-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks for posting, I had a vague idea it was happening soon, good to have it brought to our attention!

IRescue452
02-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Nathan, the bloodhound, has a chance to redeem himself after last year's loss! He took the breed.

cassiesmom
02-16-2015, 08:34 PM
"You ain't nothing but a hound dog..." (watching hounds) They're so different from one another! Some are sleek like whippets and greyhounds, and some are fluffy- like the elkhound and the wolf hound. I want to hug the PBGV!

cassiesmom
02-18-2015, 03:12 PM
The Alaskan Malamute reminded me of Glacier's Muskwa :) and the Siberian Husky reminded me of several PT dogs! I thought the judge's short speech before he gave the Best in Show was very nice. If I was judging best in show I'd need 7 ribbons!