PDA

View Full Version : My two new rescues.....thanks to Cheetah

luckies4me
11-14-2002, 09:49 PM
Well seems like my cat is going on a killing spree. This was the reason why my cats have always been INSIDE only. But thanks to Dan they are inside/outside cats now.

So now I have one cute adult doormouse (not to be confused with dormice) and one new male house mouse. Here are some pics. I will try to get some better ones later once the doormouse calms down. :)

First I will start with the house mouse. I named him Fred and will be keeping him because he is such a sweety. He gives me kisses and everything and I have been around a lot of mice and only two I have known have ever not bit me. But I think he was a pet because he drank out of the water bottle right away, is not sketchy etc. We get tons of rescued mice and hunt our own to feed the owls and they are all jerkies. He is a sweety. Can you tell I am already in love with him. hehe:D

luckies4me
11-14-2002, 10:13 PM
Here is the pic of both types of mice so you can see the difference. The dormouse is going to be let go tomorrow back in the backyard but further out in the woods. :)

COCatMama
11-14-2002, 10:23 PM
be careful of their droppings they may carry diseases. they are awful cute tho! :D once i rescued a Field Vole from a cat...i held it and it was soooooooooooo soft i wanted to take it home!!

luckies4me
11-14-2002, 11:21 PM
I know what diseases they carry. I am a wildlife rehabber so I get these in every week. You can see the thread in Pet Rescue that I started to see some of the wildlife I take care. The only reason I am allowed to keep the house mouse (without getting my license taken away) is because they are considered domestic animals. The doormouse (or deermouse) was let go just a few seconds ago as I felt he was doing fairly well and it was just time to go back into the woods. If I would have kept him overnight and he was not injured he has a significant chance of dying from freight. They spook really easy.

But just a word of caution for people who may find these cute little guys. Wear gloves and wash your hands and disenfect any suffaces that may have came into contact with the animals feces, urine or saliva as they are known to carry the hantavirus.

luckies4me
11-14-2002, 11:24 PM
But if you want one of these as a pet there are breeders. I love voles. I am actually thinking of breeding these also. I like to study the habits of mammals. Voles mutate very easily and as a result there are very beautiful colors of meadow mice now. But I try to limit my breeding intake to animals that are endangered or there is very little known about them.

wildlife rescue thread (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10913)