PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Bring your Pet to Thursdays #469

RICHARD
02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I thought a BYPtoT Day would be a good idea.

Ed is asleep on the chair across the room and the fireplace is nice and stoked.......

We could watch "World's Dumbest....." on the big screen - thats one of my guilty pleasures.....

------------

I cooked up some chicken livers, mixed veggies and smashed taters for dinner.....

I think a warm liver smoooshed over a cracker with a little dijon would be good?

------------
I think that a cold beer- yeas, I know it's still winter, sounds good.....

DONE?

cassiesmom
02-16-2012, 06:21 PM
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=51416&d=1309227996

Here we are :D I brought chicken noodle soup because someone loooooves chicken ;)

Karen
02-16-2012, 06:23 PM
I am sure with enough bribes we could persuade Lady to allow other pets to share the humans, as long as there are enough laps and skritches to go around! And I know she'd like one of those liver crackers to be shared with her! ;)

I'll bring hot chai to share with anyone who wants some!

Pinot's Mom
02-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Princess Pinot is currently residing on my lap after a stressful evening. Her Dad is going away for his annual "winter" (winter-really? we haven't had winter) weekend, and things have been a bit in turmoil.

I have some of her Dad's homemade liquor and dark chocolate truffles to share - takers?

Karen
02-16-2012, 11:53 PM
I'll take some truffles - love dark chocolate! ;)

pomtzu
02-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Be careful of all this chocolate with any pups that might venture in and sit (beg) for a spell. :eek:

Truffles must be the slightly sinful treat of the day. I have to say that what Coop made sounds wonderful. What kind of liquor, Maggie? I have some here that I got for V'tines Day - dark chocolate and raspberry and they are soooo good! I'll share ~~~ or trade. :D

Pinot's Mom
02-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Be careful of all this chocolate with any pups that might venture in and sit (beg) for a spell. :eek:

Truffles must be the slightly sinful treat of the day. I have to say that what Coop made sounds wonderful. What kind of liquor, Maggie? I have some here that I got for V'tines Day - dark chocolate and raspberry and they are soooo good! I'll share ~~~ or trade. :D

He made vanilla liqueur - it's lovely with the Truffles! We can trade (& mix!). :)

RICHARD
02-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Due to some unforseen circumstances, I am going to take a small leave of absence.

Everything is AOK, I'll post a thread about the experience later on!!!:)

pomtzu
02-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Due to some unforseen circumstances, I am going to take a small leave of absence.

Everything is AOK, I'll post a thread about the experience later on!!!:)

Oh no!!! You didn't go out and join the French Foreign Legion, did you??? :eek:

RICHARD
02-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh no!!! You didn't go out and join the French Foreign Legion, did you??? :eek:

Ah, no....but you will LOVE this story.

---------------

I am going to drink three Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, in a row and post the story in the General thread so everyone can laugh at me....

Drinks for everyone!

Done!

mrspunkysmom
02-20-2012, 07:43 PM
I'll join y'all for a bit. Mr. Spunky will join us since he is the adventurer. He will gladly sit in front of the fire unless you wish to play with him. Bring your gloves. He has sharp claws.

Anyway, I'll bring some homemade broth and some fruit wine (gluten free).

No truffles, but I can some some plain chocolate or Kettle Brand potato chips. Oh and salsa. I can provide salsa because I can have that.

RICHARD
02-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I'll join y'all for a bit. Mr. Spunky will join us since he is the adventurer. He will gladly sit in front of the fire unless you wish to play with him. Bring your gloves. He has sharp claws.

Anyway, I'll bring some homemade broth and some fruit wine (gluten free).

No truffles, but I can some some plain chocolate or Kettle Brand potato chips. Oh and salsa. I can provide salsa because I can have that.

Done.

I'll play with Mr Spunky, I am indestructable?:eek::D

Lady's Human
02-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Well, Lady is back from her annual checkup, I think she needs the puppy equivalent of a beer.

Anyone for some fresh (as in right out of the fryer) applesauce buttermilk donuts?

Karen
02-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Oooh, yes, please! Sounds yummy! And shareable with a certain pup!

Lady's Human
02-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Those donuts cause puddles on the kitchen floor.

And mentioning making them for dessert for dinner cause two very hyper kids this morning.

Karen
02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Hmm, share the recipe? ;)

Lady's Human
02-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Nope, ain't gonna do it!

( I will later, I'm stuck under a cat on the sofa)

Lady's Human
02-21-2012, 05:53 PM
You know you're living with a star wars geek when:

You make donuts, and she picks one of them up out of the powdered sugar and says "Boba Fett's ship!"

Karen
02-21-2012, 06:01 PM
You know you're living with a star wars geek when:

You make donuts, and she picks one of them up out of the powdered sugar and says "Boba Fett's ship!"

Hee hee! She fits in well with our clan! ;)

RICHARD
02-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Those donuts cause puddles on the kitchen floor.

And mentioning making them for dessert for dinner cause two very hyper kids this morning.

I'd puddle myself..........sounds good.

A refill for everyone this a.m.

Hot choco for me!

Done!

DriftyAlison0
02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
52750 Did I hear donuts? THEY ARE MINE SINCE I AM THE QUEEN AROUND HERE!

Lady's Human
02-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Ummm......she might want to have a chat with Lady about that.

THey have to share, don't worry, there are plenty. I'm good in the kitchen, with one exception: I have no concept of appropriate amounts. Everything outgrows it's intended pan.

Lady's Human
02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
And now for the doughnut recipe:

I think this came from allrecipes.com, not sure.

Oil for deep frying

3/4C sugar
2 tablespoons butter melted
2 eggs
3/4C applesauce
4C sifted flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp mace
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C buttermilk
confectioner's sugar for dusting (normally use cinnamon sugar as well)

The spice amounts listed give a very, very light spice flavor, I use 3/4 tsp of mace and cinnamon to add to the flavor.

Heat oil in fryer to 375 deg. F

In large bowl (remember what I said about quantity control earlier in the thread? LARGE bowl.....gets messy)
beat together sugar, butter, eggs and applesauce. Sift together all other dry ingredients, then mix the flour mixture in with the egg mixture, alternating with buttermilk a little at a time to keep it workable. Mix until a stiff dough is formed.

From here its optional. I just make balls with the dough about 1 1/2" in diameter and deep fry for 4 minutes. According to the recipe they're supposed to be able to be rolled out and formed into doughnuts with a cutter, but to me the dough is too soft to work in that manner.

After frying, place on a paper towel to absorb some of the frying oil, then roll in either cinnamon sugar or confectioner's sugar.

RICHARD
02-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Ummm......she might want to have a chat with Lady about that.

THey have to share, don't worry, there are plenty. I'm good in the kitchen, with one exception: I have no concept of appropriate amounts. Everything outgrows it's intended pan.

I told this story before, "appropriate amounts"?????

I was dying for a red chili dish and called home for my mom's for her 'recipe'.

Ma didn't like the 'competition' and would hem and haw about inquiries to her cooking style......

(Mom told me once that she would run into people who would comment on her perfume and if they asked what she was wearing, she would give them another brand name to throw them off the 'scent'.)

Anyway, she gave me the recipe in uncertain terms.....This, that and a palm-full of those.....

The "palm-full of those" was of the spice cumin....as in,"How much cumin?", "a palm-full".

I make the recipe and woke up in the middle of the night with a SCREAMING case of heartburn.....

This had never happened before so after a night of tossing, turning and comtemplating a trip to the ER, I called my mom the next day and figured out what had gone wrong.....

A palm full of cumin for a 4 foot eleven woman is not the same as the palm full of a six foot, two idiot....;)

Lady's Human
02-22-2012, 07:16 PM
A palm full of cumin for a 4 foot eleven woman is not the same as the palm full of a six foot, two idiot....;)

:D

I have similar issues when teaching the kids cooking. I know how much the palm of my hand holds, and I tell the kids DON'T measure the same way dad does. The problem that comes in then is translating the amounts into measurements for them when we're all working in the kitchen together.

RICHARD
02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
:D

I have similar issues when teaching the kids cooking. I know how much the palm of my hand holds, and I tell the kids DON'T measure the same way dad does. The problem that comes in then is translating the amounts into measurements for them when we're all working in the kitchen together.

My hand holds twelve ounces, sixteen ounces and the venerable 40 ouncer of malt liquor......

Yo, yo, yo...;)

Karen
02-22-2012, 08:44 PM
That's why we have measuring spoons, guys! We don't have to abide by the measurements in anyone else's recipe, but we should know how much WE use!

But at least, Richard, your mother's recipes were more exact than our grandmother's - which would say "Flour - you know how much" - or our mother's, where the directions often end with "then you know what to do!"

And just FYI for the rest of Pet Talk - for Christmas this year, I gave Lady's Human the size equivalent of the "bread bowl" we used growing up, which was the "when it's too big for every other container ..." go-to bowl! Sadly, when we pulled the original out at Dad's last summer, it had developed a giant crack, so that one went on to that big kitchen in the sky!

DriftyAlison0
02-23-2012, 09:12 AM
I am glad that Alison eventually shared the donuts.