PDA

View Full Version : Winter - or not?

Karen
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Is anyone else not having a real winter? We have had barely any snow since that storm back in October, and it has not even been that cold! It was in the forties again today, so well above freezing! I think our friends in Europe got our portion of winter. And it has had tragic consequences, as dolphins are stranding in large numbers on Cape Cod. Normally, the waters would be frozen near shore, and they would not be able to swim so far in as to get in trouble.

I feel like someone move me a few states South, and didn't ask permission, except I think folks in Maryland have had more snow this winter than we have in Boston!

happylabs
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
It was so nice here in Pennsylvania in January that I almost forgot it was winter. I have to say I have no complaints. Last Saturday we had a couple inches of snow Saturday into Sunday which melted. Today we started out with freezing rain and then had some snow which amounted to less than a inch. I am still waiting for the "big" one. However, I will not be sad if we do not get one.

I drive an all-wheel drive Subaru Forester but I don't have it because I like to drive in snow. I usually find a reason not to travel when it snows. :D

kaycountrygal
02-16-2012, 03:37 PM
I live in central NC and we have not had "real winter" either. Last year we had four small snows (alot for us) but this year I havent even seen a snowflake. For the most part the temps have been above normal. IF it's going to snow, I wish it would go ahead and do it because soon I will be ready for spring.

Speaking of spring, about three to four weeks ago during 60 to 70 temps (too warm), "my" bluebirds were flying around and inspecting two bluebird houses. I think they were thinking about spring also. This week the temps are 45 to 55 in daytime but I just noticed that it's to be 60 tomorrow and then down some.

My daffs are already blooming as is my Sweet Breath of Spring bush.

pomtzu
02-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Nope - no real winter here in Delaware either. We had a couple of very small snows of 2" or less, but even that was gone in a couple of days. We had a couple of cold snaps, but they didn't last long either.
However, President's Day is coming up on Monday, 2/20, and in 2003 we had a 2 day blizzard here that buried us that President's Day weekend. :eek: Now I'm hearing on t.v. of a possible Nor'easter over the weekend. Hmmm - I'm hoping it's not a repeat performance of 2003. We shall see...........:p

sparks19
02-16-2012, 04:02 PM
No it's not like winter at all. We want some SNOW. hannah wants to build a snowman with mickey ears but instead all we are getting is rain. I don't want RAIN. I don't like rain lol it just makes everything muddy and nasty and no one wants to go out and play in cold rain. LAME

Sowa
02-16-2012, 04:23 PM
We have prob 30-40cm of snow on the ground now, but it's hard as a rock and you can walk on the top of it. It's around -4 C. Monday I think it was -30C with the windchill. Usually we get enough snow for a small part of winter where there is so much snow the dogs can step right over the top of our 4+ft fence :o Thankfully we don't have that much...yet. D: Happy to share winter with anyone who will take it.

Freedom
02-16-2012, 05:53 PM
After all that snow we had LAST winter, I am simply enjoying this one. Plus it is lots easier to walk the dogs! LOL

I do wonder WHY it is like this, very rare. My daffodils poked through in late Dec and now they are 4 inches, the buds will be developing next! Also my hyacinths and tulips have broken through AND the hollyhock is up with 4 leaves!

chocolatepuppy
02-16-2012, 06:01 PM
No real winter here in northeast Ohio. Had a few snow days about three times. We may regret these warm temps when summer does get here. I'm thinking BUGS!!! My pups and I love the snow, really miss it.:(

cassiesmom
02-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Mostly not. We've had a couple of serious snows but overall it has been pretty mild. Tough on allergies because of not a lot of good hard frosts.

mrspunkysmom
02-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Mostly not. We've had a couple of serious snows but overall it has been pretty mild. Tough on allergies because of not a lot of good hard frosts.

Tough on allergies for us, too. We've had some frightfully cold days but mostly it's been the same old variance of temperatures for this area. Some cool days and some colder days.

Alysser
02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
NOPE, and I LOVE IT!!! Getting up at 5 am sucks enough, but having to de-ice your windshield and windows sucks even more that early in the morning! SO hopefully it stays this way. :D

Roxyluvsme13
02-16-2012, 08:58 PM
It comes and goes here. Sometimes it's down to like 20 or 30 something, with like no snow, mostly rain, which is annoying, and then it's back up to like 60 like it was today :rolleyes:.

momcat
02-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Winter hasn't materialized around here yet but it's only half past February and I'm still hoping it will get here. I love winter and this year has been a huge disappointment...no 20 degree temps and barely a snowflake. THINK SNOW!!!!!!!!!!

Pembroke_Corgi
02-17-2012, 08:25 AM
We've had plenty of winter here in Colorado!! Anyone who wants it can have it!

We actually had a cooler than average November and December with lots of snow. We had a nice January, then this month is so far one of the snowiest Februarys on record. And it's been hanging on to cold temperatures. Averages around this time of year are usually near 50 for a high, but it's been colder than that. I feel cheated since everyone else is getting such mild weather! Here in the Denver area we always get plenty of snow but usually our temps are much more mild. Cold makes me feel grumpy. :p

Some day I am going to move somewhere with absolutely no winter and I will not miss it.

smokey the elder
02-17-2012, 08:25 AM
This is like 2001, the winter that wasn't. My dahlias actually survived through that winter. We've had maybe a couple nights in the teens (F) but not close to 0, and only one measurable snowstorm (the day the asbestos guy was supposed to come, natch!:p)

Randi
02-17-2012, 09:09 AM
We haven't had much winter either, I think we've had less than 7 days with snow, but it's been pretty cold and windy, lately. We're above freezing now. :) For me the perfect climate is on 30-40 latitude. I'm on 57. Oh well!

Pinot's Mom
02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
I feel like someone move me a few states South, and didn't ask permission, except I think folks in Maryland have had more snow this winter than we have in Boston!

That's a really sick statement seeing that we may have had a total of 1.5" this year.

What's even worse? We're headed to New England in March to see if we can FIND snow!!

redbird
02-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Here in NJ we are having quite a warmer winter than normal and we have had very little snow. October we had a few inches but since then only an inch to two and that's been about it. Very nice tho, I don't miss the snow and ice at all, not one little bit :D

Karen
02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
That's a really sick statement seeing that we may have had a total of 1.5" this year.

What's even worse? We're headed to New England in March to see if we can FIND snow!!

You'd better be heading further North than Boston, unless things change between now and then! Except for that one storm in October, we have not even had an inch here. But if you are heading this way, we should get together!

carole
02-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I saw your post and had to tell you in NZ we have had NO SUMMER to speak of, we are getting few hot days now and then, but most mornings are crisp and evenings cool, i even had to put the heating on one day it was so cold,Feb is usually our hottest month ever here,we even had a fog one morning, so weird, not that it worries me, i hate summer hot weather, it is suiting me fine, but for the holiday makers and tourists, not so good, what is going on in our world?

Randi
02-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Carole, I think that people are begining to realize that the climate IS changing... for whatever reasons. I watched a documentary yesterday about how fast the ice is melting in Greenland and how it affects the people living there - and the animals! :(

kaycountrygal
02-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Sat 2.18.12 Central NC. It was 65 temp today and we are to have a little snow tomorrow night (our first this winter). This is crazy! It's to be 39 tomorrow with rain & then turning to snow Sun night & going to 28. We might get an inch (don't laugh) & then it will melt Mon when the temp goes up to 45 & to be 60 by Friday.

sallyandsnowx
02-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Nope, no real winter here in Philadelphia! It snowed twice, I believe. Once in October, but it was the slushy kind of snow. And the other time was a couple weeks ago which wasn't even a half inch and was gone by the next day. The temperatures are driving me insane! The weekdays are always nice, but then once the weekends hit...bam..cold. I go to school with a light hoodie on, then when I'm out with my friends I'm all bundled up with gloves, hats, etc.

I am NOT liking the change in the weather. I want some snow days! :p

beeniesmom
02-18-2012, 09:17 PM
No real winter here either. We had a few days where it was freezing but other than that we're wearing short sleeves.
I hope this doesn't mean we will have a bad hurricane season.

sana
02-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Well, winter came this time in Pakistan, happy about that! A couple of years ago, the seasons were: Hot Spring-Summer-Wet Summer-Extreme Summer......that's it... :confused:

Well, this year winters were really cold and freezing :eek: These days, the morning are cold and afternoons warm.

So, in conclusion, GOOD WINTERS FOR ME! :D

Kirsten
02-19-2012, 09:48 AM
We had a strange winter, really... December and January were relatively warm, with no snow at all. Then, at the beginning of February, it became really cold, unusually cold with -20C - but still no snow. A week ago, there were two or three days with a little snow, but it was very watery and ugly. Not it has all melted, it's grey and rainy, and about 7°C. One of the strangest winters that I saw, and I hope it will soon be over. I'm more than ready for the spring!

Edit: ...and soon after I was typing this, the rain turned into snow. Many many fat and ugly snow flakes. Yuck!

Vette
02-19-2012, 09:04 PM
We have had a very mild winter. its been snowing like gang busters the last couple of days though ><
think its making up for it

cassiesmom
03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
There was a tornado in far downstate Illinois yesterday. We are supposed to get rain changing to snow in the Chicago area over the weekend. I hope everyone else in the midwest is okay!

Karen
03-01-2012, 05:30 PM
We are finally getting snow, but the storm is moving so slowly, it's been snowing for a day and a half now, and we barely have three inches. But at least we have some snow!

lizbud
03-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Indy has had a very unusual Winter so far. Only had to wear a coat maybe twice all season.
Yesterday was wonderful. 68 degrees and full sun all day. I turned off the furnace & opened
the windows for fresh air. I even saw convertables driving around. Today not as warm, but
still very nice. My crocus flowers have been blooming for last two weeks.:)