PDA

View Full Version : going to the dentist :(

COCatMama
11-14-2002, 07:20 PM
i have a dentist app't tonight, I need to have a crown put in soon. Bleah
anybody else fear the dentist? :D

tatsxxx11
11-14-2002, 07:26 PM
Yup!!!:D But before you know it, it will be all over!! I've had a crown put in before and you won't feel a thing. The injection of novacaine is the worst part; but just a pinch! Try to think of how good you'll feel when it's all over. My dentist is terrific. He has a TV and VCR player, with a library of tapes, in all his exam rooms! And, stereo headphones with a cassete and CD player if you'd rather!:) It helps a lot to distract you. I'll be thinking about you! Let us know you're ok when it's all over! You're not alone!!:)

COCatMama
11-14-2002, 07:30 PM
oh i am not getting the crown tonight thank the gawds lolol. And i have had some many dental needles i almost don't notice them. It's the sounds of the dental work that freaks me out!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-14-2002, 09:05 PM
OH HOW I HATE THE DENTIST!!!!.... I have an appt Dec. 5 to have my wisdom teeth cut out.... and have two other teeth coming out ... I guess at the same time... I have to go the 20 to see what exactly they will be doing the 5th.... and *whines* I don't wanna go... but I will be SOOOOOOOO glad when it is over with.

COCatMama
11-14-2002, 10:40 PM
Sara you POOR thing! my experience with that made me afraid of dentists! my suggestion to you is, get drugs and LOTS OF THEM! no need to be a hero! are yours all grown in or impacted? i had four, all impacted *shudder*

Karen
11-14-2002, 10:44 PM
I have always thought dentists should have really intricate mosiac murals on their ceilings - to keep you distracted from everything else!

Don't fear the dentist - NOT going is far more painful in the long run!

COCatMama
11-14-2002, 10:59 PM
you got that right Karen! the longer you wait, the worse it is in the end!

Twisterdog
11-14-2002, 11:23 PM
I don't mind going to the dentist. It doesn't bother me. I have actually fallen sound asleep in the chair, waiting for the novacaine to kick in. :D

Now other kinds of doctors I do really hate going to .... the OB/GYN for example. Bluuuuhhhhkkkkkkk.

COCatMama
11-14-2002, 11:52 PM
OBGYN EEEEEWWWWW that's the worst!! blech yuck patooie! altho waiting in her waiting room for TWO HOURS was definitely the worst part! >:(

Nomilynn
11-15-2002, 12:32 AM
I don't really mind the dentist.. I just hate how toothpaste commercials are always like "that fresh from the dentist feeling" because when I leave the dentist my mouth feels like it's full of sand. I can't rinse either, because of the fluoride. It's so misleading :D

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-15-2002, 01:18 AM
originally posted by Noimlynn
I just hate how toothpaste commercials are always like "that fresh from the dentist feeling" because when I leave the dentist my mouth feels like it's full of sand. I can't rinse either, because of the fluoride. It's so misleading

*LOL*:D

wolf_Q
11-15-2002, 01:50 AM
Not a fan of going to the dentist either. I had my wisdom teeth out earlier this year. Painful, but I'm glad it's over with now. I rather enjoy the gas they give you. I want my own personal supply at home. :D :D I don't want any more pain killers from them though. Whatever they gave me for the wisdom teeth made me really sick and throw up......throwing up is *not* a good thing when you have stitches in the back of your mouth....

Nomilynn
11-15-2002, 01:57 AM
I was SO GLAD I didn't throw up. I was put to sleep for my surgery, and I had Percocet (sp????) for the pain. It didn't take the pain away, but after popping one of those I didn't really care if I was in pain or not!!! :D If I took one I needed a good four hours to sleep it off.

After the surgery I felt pretty sick to my stomach, and I was afraid I might throw up but I didn't. They gave me some gravol through IV. I had swallowed blood, so after I ate I was fine. I also had to take antibiotics as a preventative thing (because I'm diabetic) and the dose the surgeon had me on made me sick, so I just lowered it and it was all good!

The Cat Factory
11-15-2002, 03:09 AM
I HATE the Dentist! I hate having the needle to freeze your mouth!

slleipnir
11-15-2002, 06:32 AM
YES!!!! Well, more so of what they'll do, but I hate it there :[

neko1
11-15-2002, 07:41 AM
I love my dentist. He's really cool and so is his staff. When I was little I hated going so much that I had to be sedated before I went but now I'm fine!

COCatMama
11-15-2002, 08:45 AM
Well I'd rather put up with the drilling and all that than to experience another abcessed tooth...that is the WORST pain I felt in my whole life!!!! OUCCCHHH

anna_66
11-15-2002, 09:18 AM
It had been years since I'd been to the dentist, so I needed to have a few things done. It really wasn't so bad, the worst part was having my teeth cleaned:eek: the rest of it was a piece of cake!
Next time I won't put it off for so long:o

Logan
11-15-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Lalania
i have a dentist app't tonight, I need to have a crown put in soon. Bleah
anybody else fear the dentist? :D

For me, the worst part is holding my mouth open for so long! My dentist is so nice, as are the ladies who work with him. But I still dread it, everytime!!! Too bad I can't just go in there and chat with them instead!!! :)

Good luck with the crown. It isn't so bad, I promise. Two years ago, I had two root canals and two crowns. No problems, whatsoever.

Logan

Dixieland Dancer
11-15-2002, 10:09 AM
I am currently suffering from having my wisdom teeth taken out. They came out on November 6th and my face swelled up like a chipmunk and now over a week later, I am still taking pain meds every 4 hours. They hit a nerve in my lower jaw and they are saying it may take 6 months for the feeling in my lower jaw to come back. It feels like constant novacaine injection that won't wear off. Needless to say.... I HATE going back to the oral surgeon. I think I preferred the pain of child birth over this! It didn't last as long.

Recommendation - if it don't hurt don't mess with it cause it will. This is terrible pain. :(

One nice thing about this ordeal is that the pups recognized mom was not feeling right and have gone out of there way to comfort me. :D

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-15-2002, 08:33 PM
I HATE going back to the oral surgeon. I think I preferred the pain of child birth over this! It didn't last as long.

:eek: OMG!!! I am gonna have to erase this from my memory before I go have mine out...;)

Pam
11-15-2002, 09:14 PM
I agree with Logan. I think the worst part of going to the dentist is having to keep your mouth open. :) My dentist is painless and I have been going to him for about 25 years! I don't know what I'll do if he ever retires - I guess I'll have to break in a new one! I worked as a dental receptionist for 10 years and have to say that neglecting your teeth can really leave you in a sorry state. Popcornbird, the cleanings are VERY important. Without regular dental cleanings you can develop gum disease which is the major cause of tooth loss - not cavities!

I do hate seeing the OB-GYN though. Have to psych myself up for that one! Also mammograms are no piece of cake either. OUCH!!!

SANDY FROST
11-15-2002, 10:23 PM
IF YOU'RE AFRAID OF DENISTS ITS BECAUSE YHOU HAD A BAD ONE. I SWEAR WHEN I WAS A KID THAT DENIST HATED KIDS BUT THANK GOD I HAVE A WONDERFUL DENIST WITH A POATIVE UPBEAT STAFF. IF THE DENIST DRILL
HURTS HE GIVES ME MORE NOVICANE. PLUS SUCH A LIGHT TOUCH AND MY
DENTAL HYGENIST IS A HOOT TO BOOT. SHE HAD A LIST DIFFERENT TOOTH-POLISHES. FROM CHOCLATE MINT TO GRAPE.:D
SANDY FROST