PDA

View Full Version : Question about birds

Medusa
02-15-2012, 07:52 AM
I saw a hawk perched on one of my bird feeders. Usually all I have to do is clap my hands, the hawk flies away and all goes back to normal but the birds have not been back. It's been at least 3 weeks. I've never experienced this before. At other times, I could tell that the hawk was around b/c there wouldn't be a bird in sight but it didn't last long. Are they gone for good or is there something I can do to bring them back? I can't believe my feeders are still full.

Freedom
02-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Just as with cat food, by now that food doesn't have much scent left to attract them. Try stirring it, (just shake the feeder a bit for a first try) maybe mix in a some more seed from the bag.

Perhaps the hawk is close by, keeping the birds away?

kaycountrygal
02-15-2012, 09:30 AM
What kind of bird seed is it? a mixture? My birds love black oil sunflower seeds and I buy 40 lbs at a time and it goes quickly. They will eat 3 lbs in about a day. I dont know but perhaps the hawk is nearby and you cant see him/her. One time in my backyard a hawk swooped at a bird who was heading for feeder but it did not stop the birds from coming back later.

I just wondering.... do you have squirrels? If so, I'm surprised you still have full feeders unless you have a baffle to keep squirrels off. I had to move my feeders from trees to middle of yard away from trees and use a baffle.

Karen
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Putting out some fresh seed may help. It could be they found some other place, but they likely will be back. Are there other changes or noises in the neighborhood that might be bothering them?

Medusa
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Sorry for not replying sooner. My computer was down again. Anyhow, I'll give it a try w/stirring the birdseed. I did add new seed to see if that would attract them. Plus I always put out the black sunflower seeds at a separate feeder but they're not eating that either. Squirrels do come but I have a baffle on the feeders plus I put out feed corn for them and they eat that instead. I just feel so bad that there are no birds around. Even the Fur Posse look baffled. They sit at the windows and look all over for them.

Freedom
02-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Yup same here, I have bird feeders set to entertain my indoor cats! LOL

Freedom
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Mary, are the birds back?

I bought a new feeder, and picked up a bag of seed at the same time. The birds made it abundantly clear they did NOT approve of that seed, lol. NO ONE CAME!

Went to Home Depot and bought Wagner's, which is what I always use. The birds arrived in huge numbers within an hour.

And we say CATS are finicky??? LOL

Medusa
02-29-2012, 07:10 AM
The finches are slowly coming back to their feeder but the regular feeder has only seen one lone cardinal. Sure wish I knew what's going on.

smokey the elder
02-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Picky birds!