PDA

View Full Version : Spay/neuter before 6 months?

Sowa
02-12-2012, 07:40 PM
At some point, I'm really hoping to get a kitten. I can't at the moment, but I plan on adopting one from the Humane Society when the time comes.

I know male neutered cats can have issues with UTI etc. I know my male cat had to have surgery for a blockage at one point and is on special food now. I'm wondering if a male kitten neutered much earlier then 6 months is going to make this more of a problem? The Humane Society neuters all cats/kittens before they go home, and I'm likely going to get one that's a few months old.

(I'll probably hear someone saying to adopt an older cat. The cat I currently have was adopted as an adult. I just really would like a kitten this time, though it will depend on the cats at the time. I wasn't expecting to get him when I did, but he is such a sweet cat.)

I really hate them having to be spayed so young but I suppose its best for the cat population. So is there any extra health issues with male kittens getting fixed young? What about females?

momcat
02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
It might be helpful to ask your vet about it. You might also want to find out if the kittens have the tests and lab work done before they're neutered.

Karen
02-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Mainly they might not get as big as they otherwise would, but other than that, I have not heard of any other side effects. Neutering of course affects hormone output, which helps control growth, but in most cases, the positives outweigh any negatives, unless you are raising a show cat who needs to fit certain criteria for size and form, to be breedable.

Sowa
02-12-2012, 08:13 PM
It might be helpful to ask your vet about it. You might also want to find out if the kittens have the tests and lab work done before they're neutered.

What tests and lab work do you mean?

krazyaboutkatz
02-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Here's a good article that I found online and it does say that neutering male cats at a younger age will not cause urinary tract disease. Here's the link: http://www.televets.com/articles/cats/early-neutering-in-cats.html.

momcat
02-13-2012, 05:52 PM
What tests and lab work do you mean?

Hi Sowa,
When Groucho was just about ready to be neutered, our vet gave him a complete examination and drew some of his blood for lab tests. As it turned out, Dr. Kenny told me he tested positive for FIP but since he was under 6 months old he could have tested positive for his mother's antibodies. He was 5 months at the time. She said she wanted to test him again but I don't remember the time frame. After the second test Dr. Kenny said the result was down but she wanted to be absolutely sure before doing the surgery and Groucho was scheduled for one more test. Thankfully, the third test was negative and the appointment for his neuter was made. Our vet told me the exam and blood work was necessary to rule out anything that might cause problems before, during, or after the proceedure. Our vet is very thorough with his check-ups and makes sure any questions we have are answered so that we understand exactly what's going on.

Craftlady
02-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't think most vet's will spay/neuter before 6 months. I know with males have to wait till they full develop otherwise it doesn't work. Females I think have a little bit more wiggle room as to when to spay. I had Abby spayed a couple months of getting her. Thank god she didnt go into heat.

Sowa
02-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info.

Momcat: I'm not sure if they do those tests. I'll have to check.

Craftlady: I know they do at the HS. As long as they're old enough to be adopted, they are spayed before going home. Which is why I was worried about UTI or development.

Does anyone know if male/female cats tend to be more friendly? My male cat is very snuggly/purry/happy. The female I had who passed away a few months ago wasn't AS friendly. But she'd come to me (usually just me) for snuggles and pats whenever she felt like it, and would leave when she had enough (or sleep at the foot of my bed). I think I want a female, mostly because of all the UTI issues my male has.

Karen
02-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Does anyone know if male/female cats tend to be more friendly? My male cat is very snuggly/purry/happy. The female I had who passed away a few months ago wasn't AS friendly. But she'd come to me (usually just me) for snuggles and pats whenever she felt like it, and would leave when she had enough (or sleep at the foot of my bed). I think I want a female, mostly because of all the UTI issues my male has.

It varies cat to cat, and gender doesn't have much to do with it, from what I have observed!

catmandu
02-14-2012, 09:15 AM
I had to have Scrappy Two spayed early as she was 6 moths old and was carrying a Kitten Scrappy Three who was stillborn:(
I have found that you should not wait too long , as if the Male Cats mature before neutering they will spray , Tubster Panther :love: and Miquelito still spray, thankfully the scent is weak!!!
I think that 6 moths is a good time, I will ask my Vet for a professional opinion today.;)

Karen
02-23-2012, 02:57 PM
So I asked this question today for the Ask a Vet radio show. Dr. Kanfer said there is absolutely no evidence in cats of long-term problems from early neutering, male or female. Now if you had a male sheep or goat, studies have shown that the urethra stops growing so THEY can end up with urinary trouble and blockages, so for male sheep and goats he asks people to hold off until they are 4 months old. But for cats, no long-term impact for males OR females, other than the positive outcome of the original point!

mrspunkysmom
02-23-2012, 03:29 PM
At some point, I'm really hoping to get a kitten. I can't at the moment, but I plan on adopting one from the Humane Society when the time comes.

I know male neutered cats can have issues with UTI etc. I know my male cat had to have surgery for a blockage at one point and is on special food now. I'm wondering if a male kitten neutered much earlier then 6 months is going to make this more of a problem? The Humane Society neuters all cats/kittens before they go home, and I'm likely going to get one that's a few months old.

(I'll probably hear someone saying to adopt an older cat. The cat I currently have was adopted as an adult. I just really would like a kitten this time, though it will depend on the cats at the time. I wasn't expecting to get him when I did, but he is such a sweet cat.)

I really hate them having to be spayed so young but I suppose its best for the cat population. So is there any extra health issues with male kittens getting fixed young? What about females?

From recent personal experience, introducing a kitten to an adult cat causes less problems with the adult cat. Jane blended much quicker than Emily or Bob because she was 5 months at the time. However, too much younger than Jane and the cat's personality is not fully evident and you may be surprised. Spunky was originally sweet and snuggly at 6 weeks and became a demon at 3 months.

If you do get an adult, see if they will let you foster first for a trial basis. Try for a sweet kitty that is known to do well in a multicat household.

As for early spay/neuter, I've heard both sides. I will tell you that Spunky was done at 5 months since I think he went into "heat" early due to a female in heat. The vet had been difficult about neutering early. Another vet had me wait on Sam and he was done at 8 months. Oddly enough, Spunky is the sprayer, not Sam. And Spunky can have the kidney issues, but I resolved that with food years back.

As for purrsonality, my experience says that males are generally sweeter, but also more fun and active. Yet, Jane, is a sweet loving female that loves to play. Some of the purrsonality issues may have to do with the BREED and inbreeding and not gender. Some friends and family (myself included) have observed that Orangies are sweeter, demanding of attention, and prefer to be only cats. Yet Bob is as sweet and undemanding as can be.

I have observed that kitties are a lot more like humans when it comes to gender issues.

Just like people, you can't put them in a box with labels.

Good Luck with your decision.

Cataholic
02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Most vets that I am familiar with don't go on AGE for altering, but on WEIGHT for altering. I suppose if you took in a 6 week old kitten they might refuse, but the weight is the concern, IMO. I would never chance an accidental litter. I have had all my animals altered before 6 months (or right at). Avoiding the first heat altogether.

As for what gender is friendlier? I have only anecdotal evidence to share. Of the ten cats I have right now, two females cannot get enough loving from you. Molly will climb you to get her share. Cali can be carried around all day long, and still come back for more. Then, I have Dakky (m). Daks must sleep on my pillow, cries and comes running if you are on the floor, as does Tucker (m), and Sonic pures so loud you hear him approaching down the hall. (Then I do have some stand off cats...Anni pants (m), Gussers (m)....).

Our late RB girl, Allie, was by far the most ridiculously loving cat I have known. So, I guess what I am saying is that it it totally up to the cat, not the gender. I have heard (and my mom always tells me this...) that b/w cats are more laid back then tabbys. So, go TUXEDOS! LOL.