PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Your supposed to bring it back!

Starlite
07-06-2000, 01:07 PM
I have a lab cocker spaniel mix and I have tried forever to get him to fetch and bring the ball back to me. He will catch the ball but then I have to chase him all over the yard to get it back. He will do everthing else like sitting, shaking, etc. He is very obedient. I guess he just likes for me to have to chase him.

Abby's Mom
07-07-2000, 07:46 AM
My black Lab tried to do that same thing. SHE was trying to determine the game we played, not me. I stopped that by refusing to go chase her. Once she realized that ALL the fun and games were over, she got better about returning the tossed item to me. :-)

Starlite
07-07-2000, 12:33 PM
Thanks for that tip. I never thought about that. Maybe if I just leave him alone and he sees that I am not going to chase him he will bring the ball back to me. He is just so playful.

Starlite
07-07-2000, 12:33 PM
Thanks for that tip. I never thought about that. Maybe if I just leave him alone and he sees that I am not going to chase him he will bring the ball back to me. He is just so playful.

------------------
*Starlite*

varnerjt
07-24-2000, 01:48 PM
Try using the reward system, like giving him a biscuit or something to get the ball back. Good Luck.
Taffanie http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

LAS
07-30-2000, 10:41 PM
My Sheltie does the same thing. He is really good about giving it up when he gets a food reward. But when he has had his biscuit limit he will want to be chased.

Nasa's Master
08-14-2000, 11:00 PM
My crazy dog loves playing frisbee! When we first started playing, he used to run after it, catch it, but would rarely bring it back.
We solved this problem by adding a second frisbee to the game. Now when he catches, he brings it back and chases after the other one - the other way. He knows this is the key to keep on running.