PDA

View Full Version : Cooks: what did I DO?!

Freedom
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I love to cook, have done for years. This morning for the first time EVER I had flames coming up from my pan, I was stunned! Scared the heck out of me, and I don't know what I did.

Making scrambled eggs. Put sunflower oil in pan, pan on gas ring to heat. Cracked 3 eggs into a cup, whisked, added a small amount of cold water and whisked again. Waited a bit; lowered heat under pan and added eggs. FLARE UP! It died right down, and the eggs cooked fine.

I swear I have done this a gaziliion times over the years. Anyone have ideas what happened? Thank you in advance.

Randi
02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I can't think of anything, other than... did you put more oil on than usual, or a different oil? Scary!

Randi
02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I can't think of anything, other than... did you put more oil on than usual, or a different oil? Scary!

Can you get this product over there? It's half butter, half oil.
http://www.arlafoods.dk/presse/kargarden-bliver-flydende/

Karen
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
The oil was just overheated, that's all. All oils will burn, they just all have different burn points!

pomtzu
02-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Yup - sounds like the oil was too hot for too long. :eek:

Laura's Babies
02-09-2012, 11:37 AM
The oil was to hot and it flared up as grease/oil will when it is to hot...

A helpful hint is...if the oil starts to smoking, it is fixing to flame up on you..

Karen
02-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Sandra, here's a good discussion of smoke and flash points for various oils:

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/blog/all-about-cooking/smoke-point/

happylabs
02-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Either that, or, could you have accidentally gotten some oil onto the bottom of the pan somehow?

Please be careful. ;)

Freedom
02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Yup must have been the sunflower oil; don't use that one often. He hee, you should have seen me jump! :eek:

Cataholic
02-09-2012, 04:26 PM
You also mixed water in with the eggs instead of milk. LOLOL.

Freedom
02-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I always do that - the water makes them bright yellow! The milk makes them pale.

Tumeric can also be used to brighten the yellow; that herb tastes a bit peppery.

pomtzu
02-09-2012, 05:06 PM
I never heard of adding water. I either add milk or nothing at all.

A little story from this end of a fire under the pan. Hope you don't mind Sandie.

My DIL was notorious for not cleaning the drip pan under the burner when something had boiled over. One day last summer my son was making an omelet, and next thing you know, flames were shooting out from under the pan. Whatever was in the drip pan caught fire. He turned the burner off (it was an electric range) and took the pan off the burner, but the flames didn't go out. In a panic he nearly ripped the fire extinguisher off the wall and was about to use it, when I calmly took the lid to the frying pan that was on the counter next to the stove, and put it over the burner and smothered the flames. Fire out!!! Sheesh - don't men think before they act??? Needless to say, he read the riot act to his wife, as she justly deserved it!

We now have a ceramic top range, so that won't ever happen again! :D

Freedom
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM
And so did she CLEAN the drip pans after that and before the new stove arrived????

As for son grabbing the fire extinguisher, that is just who is more comfortable in the kitchen - and I'm guessing - just a guess now - that you have more experience. I mean, you ARE the mom so you are older, right? LOL

Asiel
02-09-2012, 08:44 PM
That was a funny story Pom-- but maybe that just could be what caused the fire. Drip pans were so annoying for that reason, sometimes just a small spill that you didn't even notice and you would get a fire. Only happened a few times with me but it is scary, love my ceramic top for that reason. So easy to keep clean if you wipe it down after every meal...unless of course you happen to slap a plastic bag or cover on it . Twice has me trained to smarten up now and no more problems.

pomtzu
02-10-2012, 05:51 AM
And so did she CLEAN the drip pans after that and before the new stove arrived????

As for son grabbing the fire extinguisher, that is just who is more comfortable in the kitchen - and I'm guessing - just a guess now - that you have more experience. I mean, you ARE the mom so you are older, right? LOL

Oh yeah - she cleaned them after that. I'm sure she didn't want the wrath of Steve descending upon her again! :eek:

Actually, if that had happened to me and I had been alone in the house, I probably would have panicked and grabbed the fire extinguisher too. But you don't think I'd ever tell him that, do you? :p:D

smokey the elder
02-10-2012, 08:34 AM
I've heard that one of the best ways to put out a grease fire in a pan is to put a lid on it. This smothers it quickly. Even though an ABC fire extinguisher is rated for these, you can still spread flaming grease around (not fun!)

Karen
02-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Yes, the fastest way to put out any fire is to deprive it of oxygen! That's why, if your clothes catch fire, you stop, drop and roll!

caseysmom
02-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Why didn't he clean the drip pans?

pomtzu
02-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Why didn't he clean the drip pans?

He didn't make the mess in the first place. :eek: Besides that, who checks the drip pans every time you turn on a burner anyway? I know I never did. And it taught wifey a good lesson in the end. :)

RICHARD
02-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Keep a box of baking soda by the stove.

You can put it into a 'cheese shaker' - the kind you see in a pizza joint - to keep it handy.

If you live in a humid area, put a cracker or an shelled almond into the shaker to keep the soda from clumping.

(Phred would have loved this thread....)

Randi
02-11-2012, 11:55 AM
(Phred would have loved this thread....)
He sure would have - and he would have given lots of good advice. He once sent me a looong e-mail with good advice about a fire extinquiser? I have.

We so miss you miss you, Phred! :(

cassiesmom
02-11-2012, 08:15 PM
That was a funny story Pom-- but maybe that just could be what caused the fire. Drip pans were so annoying for that reason, sometimes just a small spill that you didn't even notice and you would get a fire. Only happened a few times with me but it is scary, love my ceramic top for that reason. So easy to keep clean if you wipe it down after every meal...unless of course you happen to slap a plastic bag or cover on it . Twice has me trained to smarten up now and no more problems.

My mom has a ceramic top. My condo has a gas cooktop. I had never cooked on gas, so I've had a few mishaps with the bottom of the pan. I hate doing the drip pan job, so I'm going back to a flat top next. When I first moved, Phred and I exchanged PMs on the right type of fire extinguisher. It's stored right next to the broom in the kitchen closet and I think of him every time I see it.