PDA

View Full Version : I'm such a hypocrite - and a coward...

Kirsten
02-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm feeling terrible right now and I'm disgusted with myself. You will feel the same about me after reading my story.

It's about my neighbors (yes, those in the house next to me who have these loud kids). I cannot stand them, especially since I was always suspecting they do not treat their pets very well - yet I had no proof. The situation is even more complicated as they are related to a family I'm befriended with (my former co-worker's family, they are living in the same house with me, one floor down). My co-worker and the mother of these horrible kids in the neighborhouse are sisters.

The family in the neighbor house has guinea pigs. Four of them, living in two wooden cages (those that people use for rabbits, etc.). They are placed in the garden, leaning against a fence, with no protection from wind and cold. Right now, it's very cold, -20°C the other night (which is -4°F). A few nights ago, I heard the guinea pigs screaming. I googled and learned that they can stand cold pretty well (as they are originally from the Andes) and that it's not good for them to be put into warm rooms when they're usually kept outdoors. But it was also recommended to put them to a place that protects them from wind, and the worst cold. This, however, didn't happen, so I called my vet for further advice. She said there wasn't much I could do, maybe calling the district veterinary office, or the regulatory authorities, but usually, they wouldn't do much. So, I did nothing....

And tonight, my co-worker's hubby (who cannot stand his brother-in-law) told me that two of the guinea pigs have died. Apparently, these horrible people removed the water bottles as the water has been constantly freezing, so they probably died of thirst. According to my co-worker's hubby, our neighbors have claimed that it's enough for guinea pigs to eat green stuff in the winter, that's how they would get all the fluid they need. I don't know much about guinea pigs, so I don't know if this is true, but obviously it's not. :(

I'm furious, but I also feel guilty, I feel if I had done anything, I could have saved them. And what about the two that are (hopefully) still alive? Can I do anything to save them? Like going down into their garden tonight and steal them? :o Like I said, it's a difficult situation as they are part of my co-worker's family, and reporting them could ruin my peace here in this neighbor forever, but how could I dare to call myself an animal lover who cares for animals rights, if I put my fear of a neighborhood war over the wellbeing of some helpless creatures? Tonight, this one quote came to my mind, and it's so very true:

All evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

I'm such a coward. And I need to do something about it. But sometimes I wish I wasn't so alone...

cassiesmom
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
But you did two things. you searched on the Internet and called your vet. I don't see how you could bring the two remaining ones into your house with Lily and Luna; what if they have health issues? You couldn't risk making your cats sick. That might also create more conflict between you and the neighbors. Maybe the regional authority would take action, since the weather has been so cold. It sounds to me like the only other thing you can do is urge them to take their pets indoors.

Karen
02-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Maybe ask if you could give them some water, as long as it is warm from being in the house, and maybe spike it with a little juice so they drink more. The poor piggies! Sure they are from the Andes, but even there, the wild pigs seek shelter from the wind and cold, and hide between rocks and stuff to be protected from the elements.

Kirsten
02-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Since I do no longer speak to these people, I don't think they would let me enter their territory to bring water for the piggies, nor would they listen to me if I'd urge them to take them indoors; they can be real bitches if they feel you're butting in their business. But I just had a long telephone call with a woman who's doing a lot of rescue work. Unfortunately not in my area, but she sent me a link concerning the treatment of guinea pigs, and recommened to call the vetenary office tomorrow. If I'm lucky, they'll interfere; if they don't, there isn't much I can do. It's true that I cannot steal them, not only because of Luna and Lily, but also because it's theft, and that would get me into real trouble. The law wouldn't be on my side, no matter how good my intentions might have been.

Geez, sometimes I really hate people! :(

Karen
02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
You are neither a hypocrite nor a coward, you are doing everything you can for these piggies!

Kirsten
02-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Thank you, Karen, but if I had done something a few days ago, I may have saved the two little ones... :( Maybe I would have done something if I had known they removed the water... (How cruel and stupid can people be to do such a thing? :( )

Karen
02-08-2012, 04:54 PM
But you didn't know, and there's no way you could have known. Hopefully they will not get more to replace the two that died!

kaycountrygal
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Oh My! You have quite a dilemma. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Hopefully the vet office will send someone out to investigate. I agree that some people are just plain stupid or don't care and should not have pets.

lizbud
02-08-2012, 05:49 PM
It seems you are really limited as to what you can do. Over here a person can call
to report animal neglect or abuse to the local authorities without giving your name.
They can check it out & take action if necessary. Don't be too hard on yourself, you
are trying to do the right thing.:)

Alysser
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Kirsten, I agree with lizbud, you're doing everything you can right now. Don't beat yourself up over things like this, unfortunately there is always so much we WANT to do, but not exactly much we can depending on the circumstances. Please keep us updated on the situation. I hope those poor piggies are going to be OK and I hope the other are at peace and warm now.

mrspunkysmom
02-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Kirsten, don't beat yourself up over this.

And I thought backwards South Carolina was bad. Even Sc has noise ordinances and protection for animals. Right now some people are trying to make it illegal to tie your dog out in the yard. If you own a pet dog or cat, it needs to be indoors or roaming free on your property. I'm not sure we'll be successful, but ti's a start..

Kirsten
02-09-2012, 03:45 AM
Just called the vetenary office in our district town, and they'll send someone to look after them. As my neighbors were all out of the house this morning, I went down to check the cages, and they still had no water. I saw one piggy that was still alive, no idea re. the other one.

Feeling really bad right now...

Randi
02-09-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm really sorry you have to witness your neighbors cruel neglect of animals, and I hope the vetenary office in your district will do something about it. I can see the dilemma you're in... if they find out you have reported them, there'll be war. :( These people don't seem to have many brain cells to shift around and they should not be allowed to have animals at all! :mad:

Don't beat yourself up, Kirsten - you're in situation where you can't do much and it's so frustrating, I know. You can always hope they move soon.

phesina
02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Oh Kirsten, I am so sorry you have to watch this going on before your eyes and not be able to step right in and rescue the little babies. What a heartbreaking, nightmarish situation to be in.

God bless you for caring so much and for calling the vet office. Maybe, thanks to you, something will be done to help the surviving piggies, and maybe these dirtbags can be prevented from getting ahold of any other animals to abuse.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

P.S., have you seen today's Cat of the Day yet? - another German kitty named Lilly!

Kirsten
02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your support, Randi and Pat. Sorry for not replying sooner, but I've been dealing with a very bad migraine yesterday.

Still feeling bad about the entire thing, and I don't know if anything has happened yet. From what I've heard, there's been some talk in the neighborhood for a while, re. the way this family treats their animals. But they all have this "it's a great story to gossip about but in the end, it's none of our business"-attitude, which I find very upsetting at the moment. They all know what's going on, but decided to do nothing...

PS: Pat, yes, I've seen her. She's beautiful!

Sonia59
02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
It's so horrible what people can do to animals :mad:
I agree with the others, there is not much you could have done, really, and I don't think you're a coward and hypocrite; I understand the feeling, but you are not responsible for what all the stupid people do!

Kirsten
02-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank you, Sonia!

Well, here's an update: This morning when I looked out of the window, I saw that there was a water bottle fixed to the cage; also, they have moved the remaining piggies from the bottom level to the upper level. So, I hope this means that somebody from the vetenary office had come to look after them, and gave orders. In the afternoon, however, the bottle had been removed again, and now in the darkness, I cannot see if they brought it back.

Karen
02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Oh, good, at least they got some water for the afternoon, and hopefully are snuggled up warm for the night.

Kirsten
02-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Great, just learned I'll be sued for slander! :(

(And to my PT-Facebook friends: please never mention any of this on Facebook, as there are some folks of my neighborhood on my list).

Scooter's Mom
02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
What? Why are you being sued for slander?

moosmom
02-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Kirsten,

I echo what everyone else is saying. You are one of the most caring people I know here. These idiot neighbors should be hung. I'd take pictures of everything. Documentation is the key.

Hang in there, girl. You KNOW you have our support.

Love and hugs,

Donna

Kirsten
02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
What? Why are you being sued for slander?

Because I called the district vetenary office: :( I was told that my neighbors have said that no one would ever treat them like that without facing the consequences. :(

Thank you, Donna. Vetenary office was already there (and according to those neighbors, they had nothing to complain!! :( ) And now I'm gonna be sued. :( Life sucks, it really does!

moosmom
02-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Kirsten,

Hopefully the judge will toss this frivilous lawsuit out.

Kirsten
02-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Kirsten,

Hopefully the judge will toss this frivilous lawsuit out.

Thank you. I hope so, too. This totally ruined my day, and right now, I wish I could move. I'm not feeling comfortable here in this neighborhood.

Karen
02-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Because I called the district vetenary office: :( I was told that my neighbors have said that no one would ever treat them like that without facing the consequences. :(

Thank you, Donna. Vetenary office was already there (and according to those neighbors, they had nothing to complain!! :( ) And now I'm gonna be sued. :( Life sucks, it really does!

Well, you never mentioned anyone's names here, so they cannot use Pet Talk as an excuse! ;) And I bet anyone who knows the facts of the situation will see you were only acting in the best interest of the defenseless animals.

Kirsten
02-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Well, you never mentioned anyone's names here, so they cannot use Pet Talk as an excuse! ;) And I bet anyone who knows the facts of the situation will see you were only acting in the best interest of the defenseless animals.

Karen, the problem is that I got some of the infos from their brother-in-law, and I cannot name him as a witness because that would mean big trouble for him with his wife (who's the sister of that family with the guinea pigs). It's really complicated.

Scooter's Mom
02-23-2012, 04:20 PM
If it comes down to either naming him as a witness or being in more trouble yourself - name him as a witness!
You are far too nice and considerate of others. (Hugs) I hope that doesn't sound mean, I just don't want you thinking of him and not you.

Kirsten
02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
If it comes down to either naming him as a witness or being in more trouble yourself - name him as a witness!
You are far too nice and considerate of others. (Hugs) I hope that doesn't sound mean, I just don't want you thinking of him and not you.

Well, yes, I can see your point, but it's difficult. He's the only one here who helps me out with the things I can no longer do, like carrying cat litter and things. How I hate this entire situation! :(

Karen
02-23-2012, 04:40 PM
You will be in our prayers. Will you have a public defender to help you out if indeed a judge decides the case is a worthy one? I am not familiar with the German court system. And what are they hoping to gain by bringing the suit, anyway?

In all of this, know to your core that you did the right thing. There is no doubt about that.

phesina
02-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Oh, Kirsten. My God. How I want to just reach out and hug you so hard right now.

God bless you. You have done a wonderful, good thing, the right thing.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: from Pat and the cats

Scooter's Mom
02-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Oh, Kirsten. My God. How I want to just reach out and hug you so hard right now.

God bless you. You have done a wonderful, good thing, the right thing.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: from Pat and the cats

I feel the same way. You are in my thoughts all the time!

pomtzu
02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Suing for slander because you reported a truth to the veterinary office?? I don't see how they can make that stick. A simple definition of slander is:

oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation

Just be careful of these people Kirsten. They don't sound like they are wrapped too tight! :mad:

Desert Arabian
02-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Do not fret Kirsten, this lawsuit is just a ploy for them to get you all shaken up and worried. I highly doubt they can afford attorney fees and nothing you stated on this website is true slander as far as I am concerned. I had the same thing thrown at me a few years back for a horse camp I volunteered at - I got a very nasty, threatening phone call but after that nothing happened. You did the right thing! Do not beat yourself up for your decisions and what has happened. :love:

carole
02-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Oh Kirsten i know exactly how you are feeling, going through something similar, with a kitty in my neighbourhood, however the authorities here will intervene and check it all out for me, i don't know the laws in Germany, and i assume they are different regarding animal welfare worldwide, but one thing for sure please DON'T be beating yourself up about it, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING, i needed my friends from PT to tell me that too, as i felt the same way, have i done the right thing or not.

I seriously doubt they can make the slander charges stick, it would be far too expensive for them to pursue anyhow, so they are probably just trying to frighten you, but yes it makes life hell and very scarey for you, i too would love to be by your side ,supporting you, as Karen said to me, and it was a lovely thought, just print out these messages, and know everyone on PT is with you,and you know it really helped just thinking that.

You are never far from my thoughts, even though we live a long way from one another, we can always be there for you to offer support for those in need, i have had so much from everyone here, and it makes such a difference.

I hope with all my heart there are no serious repercussions from this and you are safe and please try not to worry too much, here for you anytime. HUGS.:love::love:

Randi
02-24-2012, 04:46 AM
Kirsten, it's ridiculolous how your neighbors behave, not only are they neglecting their animals and threatening you for trying to do something about it, they are also the ones who play loud music and who's children are screaming and shouting, aren't they?

I think they will do what they can to scare you. :( Perhaps it's a good idea to start recording the noise and whatever they may shout at you. It's timeconsuming, I know, but you'll have some proof of what is going on, should it accelerate more.

Good luck!

(((hugs))) :love:

chocolatepuppy
02-24-2012, 05:26 AM
[Never, never, be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake.
Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. -MLK Jr.]

You did the right thing Kirsten. We're standing behind you all of the way. I'm thinking you will not be in any real trouble and these people are trying to scare you. {hugs}

Kirsten
02-25-2012, 09:42 AM
I thank you so very much for your kind words, and your support! And I apologize for not replying any sooner, but I was totally worn out yesterday after a sleepless night.

chocolatepuppy, that is a great quote, I never read that one before, but it's beautiful.

Carole, I'm sorry you're going through something similar, good luck with that!

Randi, yes, they're the ones with the loud kids (the loud music was from somebody else across the street).

Well, I really do think the law is on my side. And I have a private legal costs insurance which would probably cover the costs for a lawyer, if I need one. Maybe they really just wanted to scare me, but if they'll sue me, I actually don't think there's something to worry about. Also, my vet (who I have asked for advice re. the guinea pigs) is backing me up; I already spoke to her. It's not so much the legal aspect that I fear but the neighborhood war this may cause. These people are not easy to deal with, and I'm also worried re. my former co-worker (who lives one floor down, and who's the sister of my neighbor with the guinea pigs). She knows now it was me, and I have no idea how she will treat me now.

Catty1
02-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Your former co-worker might be as disgusted with that part of her family as anybody. She just might tell you how relieved she is that someone finally did something about them! ;)

Kirsten
02-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Your former co-worker might be as disgusted with that part of her family as anybody. She just might tell you how relieved she is that someone finally did something about them! ;)

Well, from what I've heard, her main concern is that I could mention to anyone that she has criticized her sister's family's way to treat animals; 'cause she fears her sister's reaction. She and her hubby (who gave me all the infos) expect me to keep them out of the entire thing. They may not like what that family does, but in the end, blood is thicker than water.