PDA

View Full Version : I'm falling apart!

catnapper
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I've been limping for a few weeks, so I saw my doctor who diagnosed arthritis in my left foot. The steroids helped with the inflamation and now that they're done, I'm back to limping.

I've had issues with pain that comes and goes in my right jaw for a long time now. My dentist said it is nothing with the teeth that are there - they are all strong. So I went to the ENT this morning. His diagnosis? Arthritis in my right jaw. UGH!

I'm not yet 40 and already experiencing arthritis! Anyone have experience with arthritis and what helps?

I see the little old people that come into my store wherre they are so crippled thanks to their friend Arthur Itis (thats what they call it :) )They all have good humor about it, but they are all in constant pain. I'd like to see what I can do to offset that while I'm young. Well, young-ish :o

pomtzu
02-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I feel your pain ! I started with it in my hands in my early 30's, and it has taken over just about every joint in my body, and I'm in my late 60's. Thankfully it's osteo, and not rheumatoid tho. None of the traditional meds helped any in my case, and I get as much relief just taking Excedrin as the pricey prescriptions, tho I know it's not good for the tummy to take so much aspirin.

Stay as active and as mobile as you can, and work thru the pain, is about the only advice that I can give. Unfortunately, once you have it, it's with you for a lifetime and is never going to go away. I've simply learned to grin and bear it, since there is nothing I can do other than that.

This is what my "beautiful" hands look like now........:eek:

Catty1
02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
I have osteoarthritis - not the rheumatoid inflammatory kind - and I used to take a good quality glucosamine/chondroitin combo and a good Omega-3 gel tab (if you know a Herbalife person, ask for Flex Support and Herbalifeline). The FS is not a quick fix, but I noticed a big difference about 2 - 3 weeks in!

The osteo is in my neck, and hasn't bothered me for a while. I'm not on the FS right now but wanna get back on the omega - it sure is good for the brain! In fact, before my surgery a few years ago, the Omega was the ONLY 'vitamin' I was allowed to take!

I hope you feel better soon!

sasvermont
02-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I have osteoarthritis and had a hip joint replaced (three years ago) and need a knee joint replaced soon. I am 63. It is quite common and now that joints are being replaced right and left, the operations are computerized and the healing goes pretty quickly. I will probably have the knee done this summer or fall.

There are drugs for the pain. Right now I take Tramadol and it helps. I have tried other drugs and they have made me ill. Tramadol is generic form of Ultram, a synthetic narcotic. Oh well. I don't take much, but it doesn't take much for the relief it gives me.

Each form of arthritis is different and of course each person reacts differently.

I know how you feel about falling the hell apart, one limb at a time!

Pinot's Mom
02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Checking in for Psoriatic Arthritis...had for many years now, and I'm 51.

I have it all over my body; spine, neck, hands, knees, hips, shoulders, feet - as well as the lovely psoriasis that's the sister disease.

I take IV infusions of Remicade every eight weeks, it keeps me moving, but thank goodness for insurance. That stuff costs more than my salary.:eek: I have been on many different things over the years.

I feel your pain; literally. You CANNOT dwell on it, or it has won the battle. There are days I am so fatigued and in pain, but I can't fixate on those days, neither can you.

PM me if you need an arthritis-ridden shoulder.

Maggie

momoffuzzyfaces
02-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I've been disabled with asteoarthritis since I was 45. I'm 61 now. Plus now I have fibromyalgia too. It sucks to be in pain every waking second so I try not to think about it any more than I have too. I was on high doses of Ibuprofen 2 to 3 times a day for years. Now my kidneys are paying for it.

My dr gave me Tramadol and I still keep it on hand but don't take it because it gives me a violent headache when I wake up. So mostly I take hydrocodone at night so I can sleep and ibuprofen in the mornings. I do have lots of inflammation so need that.

I have arthur in my knees, ankles, hands, wrists, lower back, back of my neck, hands and now it looks like it's taking aim on my right shoulder and arm. Thankfully it hasn't bothered my hips.

I also take glucosamine. I can't take the chondrin because it upsets my stomach.

I have been doing research on vitamins and arthritis. The main thing they suggest is the Omega 3 like in fish oils. I've tried that but it goes rancid on me before I finish the bottle so gave up on it for now and just try and eat fish a couple of times a week. Olive oil is also helpful used for cooking or on salads and things. And be sure to dring lots of water. It helps keep everying hydrated. I'm really bad about not drinking enough.

I am so glad I have my cats or I'd just crawl in bed and stay there. A bad thing to do is to give up.

We are all here for you should you need to chat about it. Sometimes that does help. :love:

lizbud
02-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Gosh you guys, Now I feel like a real wimp to sometimes complain about my creaky knees.:o
I guess I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in.;)

mrspunkysmom
02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Okay, this is from my personal experiences and from what I am reading now:

Ibuprofen is great for arthritis. I took the limit of Ibuprofen for so many years that I am now allergic.

Exercise and movement - Try not to limp or favor a leg or foot, if possible. Stand straight, no crazy postures.

Simple stretches that are not overdone are great.

Sit up straight. We tend to slouch and use crazy positions while sitting.

Eat well. Calcium rich foods and well as other good foods such as veggies.

Use real butter and not margarine. Butter ahs 2 ingredients at most. Lost count of oleomargarine. Did you ever see that show about what's really in a Twinkie? It's scary.

Yes, stay hydrated. I'm weaning myself off sodas. No wonder I'm so crabby.

Wear good shoes. Clark and Grasshopper make good shoes that won't break your bank.

I've had what is TMJ for years. Since I was 15. The jaw bone dislocates. I hate going to the dentist because my bite is off center and I have a under-bite for a day or so. Try not to clench you teeth. (I have a hard time with this one.) BTW, sinus issues can affect the jaw bone, even the lower one, since the lymph glands are there.

From what I'm reading; Try to reduce the wheat and gluten impact on your diet. Supposedly these can lead to easy weight gain.

Hope you feel better.

catnapper
02-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Anne,
Whew, I already do half those things (YAY!)

I wear Clarks shoes. The last pair I bought were ugly, but I had to get them because I sighed happily when I tried them on... they're like a hug for my foot (yes, I am a dork!)

I never drink soda - haven't for about 20 yers. I only drink sprite when I'm sick, and even then it takes me forver to drink a 12 oz. can. I drink 32 oz. of fresh brew iced tea at work -- very very little sugar -- as in one packet for that 32 oz cup.I know I should drink more ater, but I just can't. I've been steadily making my tea weaker and weaker.

When I eat butter, its real butter. I can't stand that margarine stuf -- yuck!

I always sit straight. My grandmom's been dead 13 years now, but I can still hear her snapping at me about posture, and can almost feel her pulling my shoulders back. I've had customers tell me that they don't see such good posture. One lady wasn't my customer and pulled me aside just to tell me that. :eek:

I gained a ton of weight this year due to not sleeping because of my snoring. I finally got my sleep apnea machine right in the past three weeks... and already lost 8 pounds!!! Now that I'm getting sufficient sleep, I am much more active, I watch what I eat, etc. When I was a zombie thanks to poor sleep, I ate a lot of bad things. Lots of carbs, lots of sugary snack, lot of candy.

I've been doing strecthes because I realized how much better I felt, especially regarding my feet.

I do take the daily limit of Advil. That's the thing that helps me, and I do worry about the long term impact that will have on me.

By the way, I'm too young to be old!!!!

Freedom
02-09-2012, 09:08 AM
I have osteoarthritis, knees and neck are the worst for me. I use Schiff's Move Free (glucosamine and chondroiton), ibuprofen, and prescription naproxen. Other than that, I can't add what's already been said: regular exercise helps tons!

BTW, Sweet n Low used for any length of time will result in muscle collapse; doctors will often diagnose it as mulitple sclerosis or something else, the physical therapists are the ones who realize you need to stop the Sweet n Low and the muscles will recover strength with a bit of physical therapy.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-09-2012, 01:17 PM
I consider any day I can still stand on my own two feed and recognize myself when I look in a mirror as a good day!!! :D

A few helps I've learned along the way: I dislike water by itself. So I buy frozen fruit and drop some in my glass. It turns the water interesting colors and you get the benefits of the juices from the fruit plus can eat the fruit when you get to the bottom of the glass. My favorits are frozen cherries and blueberries but peaches and stawberries are fun too. I even stick them in my cold tea now.

I only use sugar in my tea but to help cut it down, I mix it half and half with Splenda. I can still have my sweet tea with half the sugar.

Also, I use Smart Balance spread instead of oleo. I get the kind that has olive oil and omega 3 added. I can't use normal butter. It spoils before I can get it used up.:love:

kitten645
02-09-2012, 09:36 PM
I don't have joint trouble thankfully. I attribute some of it to years of ballet training. Not full on toe shoes craziness but streching and yoga type movement. However:

"I can't use normal butter. It spoils before I can get it used up"

I'm of the mind that the less chemicals foodwise the better. I think it's better to use a little butter than the chemical substitute. I must admit I love my butter so I use it sparingly. Butter freezes REALLY well! I buy the Costco size and cut it into half sticks. Seal it well and keep a chunk to use and the rest gets frozen.

Best of luck to everyone here. My sister has had arthritis since she was a kid. I know how painful it is.