PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your cat(s) lick your plate?

kaycountrygal
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
No, I do not.

katladyd
02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
None of mine really want to lick my plate. But Mac will clean the plate after I'm done eating once in awhile. So if I'm done and they want to lick it, sure. But not while I'm still eating, no.

cassiesmom
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Depends on what is on it! She comes running when she hears the dry cereal hit the bowl, because that means MILK! (I leave about 1 tblsp of milk in the bowl for her to drink when I'm done with my cereal)

And chicken, oh boy, she is right there. I usually cut some up and put it in her dish. If she is hovering during the meal (ex: Chinese restaurant take-out chicken), I cut some up and put a few bites at a time in her dish. (That way I can control how much she gets, make sure it's not too hot, and that there is no onion which kitties aren't supposed to eat - meowmies :rolleyes:) She would love to eat it right off my plate but that doesn't work for me.

Does Luke kitty like "people food"? Hello, beautiful Luke! And hi, Lil Girl and Annie!

slick
02-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Not ashamed to YES. :)

Taz_Zoee
02-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Not on purpose. Sometimes we will have plates out on the counter while we are eating and Jax will jump up there. But as soon as I catch him, he is off the counter. The other night the plate from our BBQ'd chicken was on the counter and I caught him with his nose in the plate. That didn't last long.

happylabs
02-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Once I am completely done with the plate, there are some things Buddy likes, so, yes. But I never let him have too much of anything because he has a sensitive stomach. I see no harm in this. I have a dishwasher. He is the pre-wash stage. :D

Felicia's Mom
02-03-2012, 12:57 PM
The only thing I let mine lick out was empty yougart cartons.

Randi
02-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I just realized I had replied in the Dog forum, so here comes my reply:

I would, but Fister is so civilized, he rarely jumps up on the dinner table. I guess I have made it a habit to serve what he wants on his own plate. He does want it served in the dining room, though - and we can look at each other while we eat. :D

phesina
02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
After I'm done eating, I do!

Freckles
02-03-2012, 04:25 PM
YES, I did.

Kirsten
02-03-2012, 04:55 PM
After I'm done eating, I do!

Same here! I never had any problems with that. Well, except that one has just puked... :D

phesina
02-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Well, that happens with their own food too! Poppy and Poppaea (the Pop Girls) in particular.. they both have the tendency to eat too much, too quickly.. and then it's HEAVE-AWAY, HEAVE-AWAY...

mrspunkysmom
02-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Emily starved for years, so she still has a tendency to overeat. She's getting better.

I have from time to time let them lick. It depended what it was.

I usually cook them some meat separately, esp these days now that I am a Celiac and cannot have gluten at all. I get a few chicken strips, and they (3) split one. Jane and Bob do not like Human Food. I used to leave Human food out for Spunky and Sam but Emily has not self-control, so now they get measured portions.

krazyaboutkatz
02-04-2012, 01:19 AM
I try not to let my cats eat any people food so I would say no. If I eat ice cream though, I will sometimes let them have a few licks from the bowl. I see no problem with it because all of my dishes go into the dishwasher.

catnapper
02-04-2012, 07:43 AM
They don't lick the plate til I'm done but I do share my chicken, fish, or shrimp with them. I cut off teeny tiny pieces and hand feed which ever cat has their nose closer to my hand. I have to photograph or video the scene next time I do so --- 7 very hungreee kitties circling the plate on my lap (I have found its best to sit in bed or on the sof with the plate on my lap when I do this)

If I have ice cream I will dip my finger in the ice cream and offer a little bit on the tip of my finger to be licked off.

catmandu
02-04-2012, 09:22 AM
If I can I scoop what they might lick to lick onto one of thier plates:)
But being Cats they think that all plates belong to them and my efforts are not always crowned with success.:eek:
I think actually that Our Cats
have cleaner mouths than we do.:confused:

kaycountrygal
02-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Cassiesmom asked.... Does Luke kitty like "people food"? Hello, beautiful Luke! And hi, Lil Girl and Annie!

Thanks for commenting on Luke's looks (smile). Luke cat gets boiled chicken & bites of salmon patty once in awhile in his bowl. He is so prone to being constipated that he gets very very little "people food"... has to eat his Wellness No grain canned and W/D canned.

Now LilGirl would eat total people food if I let her. She loves food. It is not unusual for me to drop on purpose a piece of tiny chicken for her LOL. She is my little vacuum cleaner LOL. Sometimes I really do accidentally drop food that is ok for her and I holler out "something fell on the floor" and she comes running. Often at night she gets to lick the yougurt container; she loves it.

Sometimes I give Annie left over chicken broth with her dog food.

maerlyn
02-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Well, Blue and Mordred aren't interested in human food; the Special, Precious, Petite PrinCESS, however - she likes bacon, mayonnaise, grated Italian cheese, and ReddiWhip. I pull pieces of fat off the bacon for her - she doesn't like the lean; if I have a sandwich with mayonnaise, I squeeze some out for her, and the ReddiWhip - well, I just squirt some on the table and let her have at it. I sometimes put some grated cheese on a dish for her, and I always let her lick the spaghetti dish when I'm finished.

But there was one time with Merlin. . . I was eating dinner at the table, and he sat nearby, watching. Finally, he put one paw out & grabbed a piece of meat off the plate. I took *one finger* and slapped his paw - and he immediately slapped me back! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-04-2012, 03:21 PM
After I'm done eating for me too! Mostly Inka, (but also Zazou or Snoopy ) is interested!
It always happens when I eat something while watching tv;
Inka watches me and waits patiently till I'm finished, and then, I put my plate on the floor for her!!
I don't need a dishwasher afterwards LOL!!!
She and the others love to lick clean my yoghurt pot!!!

GILL
02-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm the same as Maya & Inka's mommy They all know that when I say" I'm eating" they are not to bother me. When I finnish Iwill put the plate on the floor. They also know that I pretty well clean my plate, but Mom will leave a bit extra for them. They never get table scraps, it's not good for them. Just a lick off the plate.

sallyandsnowx
02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
When Snow was younger, many many years ago, she was ALWAYS interested in what I had on my plate and she ALWAYS tried to sneak a couple licks while I wasn't paying attention. From chicken to fish to mashed patatos, she stole it all! I never preferred her eating off my plate. If she wanted some, I would cut little pieces and give them to her, only once and awhile for a snack. :)

Now, as Snow has gotten older she doesn't like people food. She has no interest in it anymore. Unless it is turkey, she always gets a piece of turkey to celebrate thanksgiving with us. :D