PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your dog lick your plate?

kaycountrygal
02-03-2012, 11:10 AM
No, I do not.

lolli94
02-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I would when I'm finished eating but my mom freaks out and they're her plates;).

Taz_Zoee
02-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Nope!!

And with Bruce's RB Cocker Spaniel, BJ, we didn't either. BUT Bruce would scrape plates into his dish out in the garage. That little habit did not carry over with the dogs we have now. I refuse! :) The only human food they get is carrots (daily), sometimes cheese or lunchmeat and peanut butter. I'm a mean mom! :p

dukedogsmom
02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Ew! No.

IRescue452
02-03-2012, 01:01 PM
If its something they can have and they haven't been begging I will let them have it. They have to sit stay first and be invited to lick it. What's eww about a plate that's going to be washed anyway?

pomtzu
02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Sure - why not??? As long as it's something that they are allowed to have, tho I don't make a habit of it. And why the eww's and no's??? You're going to wash the plate anyway - right?? :p

Taz_Zoee
02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Oh, I should have mentioned........Zoee licks the plates when they are in the dishwasher. :p When they are still dirty, of course! I don't really "let" her, but sometimes she sneaks a lick or two.

sasvermont
02-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I do with food that I think will not make Prue sick. She expects it but doesn't always get her way. I see nothing wrong with it. She doesn't beg. If I say NO, she walks away, sad! She has gotten stuck food off just about every plate. It is like a "pre-wash" cycle for me!

So who wants to come to dinner tomorrow. LOL!:eek::D

dukedogsmom
02-03-2012, 02:39 PM
What's wrong with not liking it? Especially when you have no dishwasher. I wasn't brought up letting pets lick plates.

Sowa
02-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't really like the thought of my dogs licking plates either. I also don't want them getting into a habit of thinking it's ok to sniff around my plate. Sometimes I get up for a minute (I have a low coffee table) I don't want them to think it's ok to take something off it. They have licked stuff off the plate when I wasn't looking, it's not really a big deal. I'd just rather they didn't.

happylabs
02-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't really like the thought of my dogs licking plates either. I also don't want them getting into a habit of thinking it's ok to sniff around my plate. Sometimes I get up for a minute (I have a low coffee table) I don't want them to think it's ok to take something off it. They have licked stuff off the plate when I wasn't looking, it's not really a big deal. I'd just rather they didn't.

I used to let Casey do this, but now that I think about it, you are probably best not to let them do this. Casey was a TERRIBLE food thief. I am thinking if we would not have started giving her bites of things she wouldn't have been this way.

Karen
02-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Growing up, we sometimes let the dogs lick a plate after dinner, but it was always brought out the kitchen and put down near their own dish. All our dogs (chronologically Shepherd/Doberman mix, Saint Bernard and Great Dane(3/4)/Lab mix) were all tall enough to eat off the table, but has been trained from puppy hood not to do so. And Freckles particularly liked to "clean" the cereal bowls when we were done with breakfast. Every dish was then going to be washed, anyway, so there was never any chance of dog saliva remaining behind!

With Miss Hoppy, she had no interest in what I ate, anyway, so with a bunny - not an issue! When I ate salad, I let stuff touch other stuff - the horror!

Bonny
02-03-2012, 04:56 PM
No licking my plate but they have their own bowls & I will scrape left overs into their bowls which they really like. :)

Freedom
02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
No BECAUSE with so many pets here, it would be WW III!!!! And for the dogs, it would lead to them begging and pestering us all through a meal.

I clear the table, set the plates by the sink and then sometimes . . . a plate gets set down for a cleaning. LOL

Marlin is our Simonizer - once he is done, that plate is SMOOOOOTH!

caseysmom
02-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I let casey lick my bowl after I eat ice cream, there is very little left on the bowl but she knows when she hears me finish she can lick the bowl. She is very polite about it. It grosses my husband out so when she has it licked clean I always hand it to him and say "the bowl is clean you can put it back in the cabinet" hahaha, it is slimy when I start to wash it.

Varga
02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I sometimes do, depending on what food it is. I don't want him eating anything too spicy.

My oldest sister was always horrified that I would do something like that and she literally bleached any bowl I put water in for the dogs when we were at her place, lol. She is not much of an animal person.

lizbud
02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
No, they might get a bite sized bit of chicken from my hand occasionally, but not from my plate. They don't need the condiments
in their diets.

k9krazee
02-03-2012, 09:39 PM
All the time!

SWHouston
02-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Every single (evening) meal ! ;)

AND they are just immaculate, after we run them through the Dish Washer. :D

Alysser
02-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I find that gross too. Perhaps because both my dogs have been known to eat poop, Sassy ate her own and Mikey likes BUNNY poop from the yard :rolleyes: It's putrid. Maybe that was TMI, but yeah, that's my reasoning.

Cindy, Mikey licks plates in the dishwasher too!:rolleyes:

SWHouston
02-04-2012, 10:41 AM
This certainly gives one a fresh outlook, on Dental Hygiene for their animals, doesn't it :D

wolf_Q
02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
My mom would always freak out if I tried to do let them lick a plate so I never did. Then I met Corby. He considers it the "pre-wash" cycle for the dishwasher. I feel like it's okay if the dishes are going in a dishwasher - not sure you could get them clean enough hand washing. So pretty much every plate/pan/etc. gets a prewashing from the dogs. :o

Karen
02-04-2012, 05:53 PM
My mom would always freak out if I tried to do let them lick a plate so I never did. Then I met Corby. He considers it the "pre-wash" cycle for the dishwasher. I feel like it's okay if the dishes are going in a dishwasher - not sure you could get them clean enough hand washing. So pretty much every plate/pan/etc. gets a prewashing from the dogs. :o

I knew we liked Corby! ;) Hee hee!

beeniesmom
02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Not always.

Lori Jordan
02-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Oh, I should have mentioned........Zoee licks the plates when they are in the dishwasher. :p When they are still dirty, of course! I don't really "let" her, but sometimes she sneaks a lick or two.

I was just about to say the same thing!I don't make a habit of it either.Every animal owner is different.I use to let them,and that did not work.I do not like dogs that bag at the table.I do alot of dinner parties and having 4 big dogs sitting around a table begging is not my idea of fun.

chocolatepuppy
02-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Dogs lick too many other places before they lick the plates, so no.;) I don't freak if they do get a lick in though.:D I hand wash my dishes so maybe that's not as clean as the hot water in a dishwasher.

dab_20
02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I used to let my dogs lick my spoon if I was eating yogurt or something, but not right off my plate. They have a bad enough begging habit. My fiance is extremely grossed out by it too, so no, I don't let them.

Roxyluvsme13
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
No. That sounds gross to me, especially knowing where their mouths have been. They get bites of whatever is on the plate usually (unless it's something they can't have of course!) but actually licking the plate, yuck!