PDA

View Full Version : Heidi the Doberman needs help! Please read and sign the petition....

ramanth
02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.saveheidi.com/

Her Story:
We adopted Heidi almost 4 years ago from a well-established and reputable rescue organization specializing in the Doberman breed. Like most Doberman, Heidi is a very intelligent and energetic dog. She is a loving & loyal member of our family.

In October, while out for a leashed walk to a local market, a stranger approached suddenly wanting to pet her. Startled and in her excitement, Heidi popped up at the same time that the stranger bent over to pet her. She collided with his face. He has claimed this resulted in a broken nose and reported the accident to Royal Oak Police.

Royal Oak is now prosecuting this as a dog bite/attack! The Assistant Deputy City Attorney has offered to dismiss the criminal charges only if Heidi is destroyed or removed from her loving family in Royal Oak. This is happening to our family with a 30+ year history as law abiding Royal Oak residents. Heidi has no previous incidents of aggressive behavior and is a well trained, obedient, loving success story of a Doberman rescue.

All dog owners must be aware of the risks of criminal prosecution under the antiquated Michigan statutes written in 1919 and the paranoid overreaction by local city officials who are prosecuting dog breeds, not dog attack cases.

Time is of the essence to save Heidi’s life. A final decision on Heidi’s fate will be made on February 9th, 2012.

http://www.saveheidi.com/

Karen
02-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I signed! Thanks, Kim! Have clonked heads with exuberant canines more than once in my life!

kuhio98
02-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Signed and crossposted. Thanks for letting us know.

Cataholic
02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Glad to see you have this on PT, Kimmy!

Asiel
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Sounds crazy to me that they would want to destroy the dog because of something like that. I can't count the times I've been smacked in the face by an overexuberant dog...I considered it my fault for bending over the dog when I should know better. Going to go sign the petition.

chocolatepuppy
02-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Signed and crossposting. Unbelievable!

Alysser
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
This type of thing always angers me. I researched more and found this:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/community/Royal-Oak-woman-s-online-plea-to-Save-Heidi-grows/-/2207168/8586364/-/di3ohf/-/

According the to the district attorney, they have evidence of a dog bite.

Honestly, if they had such "evidence", I doubt the owner would have went through all this already (making a website, petition, etc.).

I don't believe she bit the guy, at all, personally. I get whacked by dogs at work all the time in the same way and it certainly has the power to break a nose!

Signed and crossposted.

Cataholic
02-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Did you read the witness statement? Something isn't right here.

Alysser
02-02-2012, 09:44 PM

I agree. It's a very fishy story. Sounds to me like another guy who just wants money. You ask if they're friendly and then walk by them and suddenly they attack you. I don't know about anyone else, but if you have no intent on petting the dogs why would you ask if they're friendly in the first place..? The Animal Control officers statement from the guy is weird to, "as ____ passed the dogs jumped up at him and HIT him in the nose and also caused a small laceration. ___ stated his nose was broken. The dog that bit was heidi.." first he said they hit him in the nose, then it's bit..I don't get it.

lolli94
02-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Oh I am SO sorry. I know this must be a very hard time and I am praying hard for Heidi's life. I signed the petition and I will continue to pray for you all.

lizbud
02-03-2012, 09:56 AM

There seems to be two completely different/conflicting statements about what happened.

The victim's statement written up by his girlfriend says one thing & the victims statement
to the cops? tells a different story.

*LabLoverKEB*
02-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Signed! This story is absolutely ridiculous. Very fishy indeed....

Bibette & Lulu
02-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Signed and submitted. I pray that all goes well.

B&L's Mom2

kuhio98
02-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I haven't seen an update to their blog, but I did notice that this is posted at the top of the home page now:

PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL THE CITY OF ROYAL OAK.
THINGS ARE PROGRESSING WELL - THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT

Keep crossposting. It looks like the signatures are making a differance.

kuhio98
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
A cyberfriend reports -- According to local news reporting, the owner pleaded 'no contest' in court today. Heidi must be muzzled when out in public, but is safe and gets to remain with her owner.

Petition website update:
2/6/2012 UPDATE: On behalf of our family, and our beloved dog Heidi, we would like to thank the local media outlets, and ALL of our friends and advocates online, who have devoted their time and voices to our cause.
We have reached an agreement with the City of Royal Oak which includes Heidi staying with our family.

Thanks so much to all of you for your support and kind wishes. We have been truly overwhelmed by the outpouring of support.

JMCsGirl
02-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Glad things have worked out ok.