PDA

View Full Version : My doctor arrested for sexual assault!!

moosmom
02-01-2012, 10:33 AM
This was splashed all over the news yesterday and today!! I think it's gonna get ugly. He's being held on $850,000 bond.

http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticut/hartford/hc-east-hartford-doctor-rape-0201-20120131,0,3083255.story

I guess his office has been inundated with phone calls. I called to have my files transferred to another physician and they said I'd have to wait for the outcome of his arraignment this morning.

I told them they either give me my files (or a copy) or I'd file a complaint. I am SO done with this guy!!! He's also a drug pusher. I'm not making that up either. I've been to him a couple of times for the problem in my knee. He sent me for an xray of it. He diagnosed me with osteoarthritis. Then proceeded to ask me "what I needed" (i.e., vicodin, somma, etc.)??? I always wondered why his waiting room was always so crowded with some REALLY questionable people.

Not only that, but I thought it odd that he started putting up signs in the exam rooms "If you require an attendant during the exam, please let the front desk know". Guess he's covering his own butt.

Lady's Human,

Before you start in on me about innocent until proven guilty BS, one woman tried to file a complaint with the board of health and it was dismissed for lack of evidence (She said/He said). It wasn't until this story aired that MANY, MANY women have also come forward. He was also charged with bribing a witness.

Karen
02-01-2012, 10:35 AM
How sad and scary. Thank goodness one woman was brave enough to start the ball rolling and get him investigated so others are coming forward. The truth will win out.

moosmom
02-01-2012, 10:53 AM
They've been investigating him since 2007!!!!

Cataholic
02-01-2012, 11:11 AM
The truth will win out.

The truth has very little to do with anything, sadly. The side with the greater evidence "wins". In situations where the crime or tort is behind closed doors, like rape, sexual assualt, abuse....and the public's perception (well, why did she go back to the doctor after the first time? She must have liked it), and our general (though surely not specific to me) perception that doctors are infalliable makes prosecuting and "winning" these cases very, very difficult.

Throw in the insurance companies sole plight in life- to "win" without any regard to fairness or what is right- and many, many people simply do not have the resources or stamina to fight these guys (and I suppose, gals).

Medical malpractice in general can be summed up in this snippet: hardest cases to try and most expensive cases to win.

sasvermont
02-01-2012, 11:24 AM
We have had a couple of high profile cases here in Vermont. One was a surgeon who examined young girls with ortho problems (internally, after hours in his office) and after many weeks of trial, ended up having to give up his practice and license. He was given no jail time. What amazes me is WHY women (people in general) don't complain when it happens. I would pick my self up and leave the office if I thought someone was inappropriate. Maybe these doctors know who is a victim and who isn't. I remember when I was younger, an older Dr. I visited commented on my body..... and I never went back. I didn't file a complaint, but left the practice. He never touched me etc.

Sometimes there is the "pile on" effect that takes place too. Some people are interested in making a few extra bucks by filing false statements/complaints.

I am in no way suggesting that this guy is innocent. To the contrary. He is probably guilty, but until it is proven...... you know the drill.....

What I don't understand is why the doctors are often not charged with rape etc. they just lose their licenses. If it were just a layman, they'd be put in jail.

The medical field is a very protected society. They seldom rat on each other. Society in general puts physicians on a pedestal and let them get away with murder sometimes.

I hope they throw the book at this varmit.

Catty1
02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
My GP had a female attendant there when it was time for my PAP test. Have an attendant in place, Njoku - don't make it an option!

Lady's Human
02-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Being that I was specifically named as pushing BS in the post that started this thread, yeah, just run him out of town, no trial is needed, and for that matter why not just hang him?

After all, the charges are what's critical, not a fair trial or any fiddly little details like that.

happylabs
02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
OMG!!! I just read the story. :eek: How do these guys think they are going to get away with this crap?!? :mad:

I will tell you, it seems like the professionals are getting less and less professional these days.

As far as drugs go, it seems like a lot of the docs are pushing drugs these days so they can get the perks from the drug reps.

Cataholic
02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
In no way do I think illicit drug activity is right...but I do wonder, if doctors were allowed to practice medicine, rather than the insurance companies, would less doctors turn to crime to make ends meet?

pomtzu
02-01-2012, 12:25 PM
What I don't understand is why the doctors are often not charged with rape etc. they just lose their licenses.

Fortunately this isn't always the case. There was a very big case here in Delaware, and last summer this PEDIATRICIAN was sentenced to 14 life sentences plus another 160 years, with no chance of parole. He had been sexually molesting his patients - some were only infants!!! - for over a decade. His name is Dr Earl Bradley, and you can Google him and read all kinds of garbage on this piece of crap - if you are so inclined to do so. One of my son's co-workers has a daughter that was one of his unfortunate patients. It's so much more sickening when innocent children fall prey to the very ones that are held in high esteem and are supposedly there to help and care for these kids.

Lady's Human
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Fortunately this isn't always the case. There was a very big case here in Delaware, and last summer this PEDIATRICIAN was sentenced to 14 life sentences plus another 160 years, with no chance of parole. He had been sexually molesting his patients - some were only infants!!! - for over a decade. His name is Dr Earl Bradley, and you can Google him and read all kinds of garbage on this piece of crap - if you are so inclined to do so. One of my son's co-workers has a daughter that was one of his unfortunate patients. It's so much more sickening when innocent children fall prey to the very ones that are held in high esteem and are supposedly there to help and care for these kids.

That trial made national news, and there's someone who should have been hung, though I'm fairly certain his fellow inmates are making life fun for him.

Asiel
02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Constantly amazed at how many doctors are up on charges like this today. We had one doctor charged 3 yrs ago who is now in jail, one who lost his licence 5 yrs ago and another awaiting trial since the summer.
Can't remember that happening when I was growing up unless women were afraid to come forward.

moosmom
02-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Lady's Human,

Well, well, well as predicted, you are so true to form!!! ;)

I'm going to watch the news at 5. It seems that his bond may have been upped because he is from Nigeria and may be a flight risk.

There was a dentist in CT who went on trial for sexually molesting his patients while they were under laughing gas. He's in jail now too!!! He was also caught defauding the insurance companies.

Stay tuned!!!

Lady's Human
02-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Actually, I most likely wouldn't have even commented on the thread at all but for your comment at the end of your initial post.

I'm sorry you have issues with following legal practice in the United States as laid out in the Constitution and supported by reams of case law, but the reality is that until the individual is tried and found guilty, they are just that, accused.

The number of false charges and accusations in the arena of sexual assault is despicable, because unlike many other charges, once the accusation is made, it's almost impossible to get the truth out if the individual is not guilty.

happylabs
02-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Castration should be the punishment for anyone committing a sexual crime.

pomtzu
02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Castration should be the punishment for anyone committing a sexual crime.

And it should go one step beyond that, if you get my meaning. Also - do it with no anesthesia. :eek:

moosmom
02-01-2012, 05:29 PM
According to court documents, the woman alleging she was raped in the exam room had a rape kit done and his DNA was found on her clothing. And guess what??? DNA DON'T LIE!!!

THE END

Oh, and he requested that he be released so he can go back and see patients!:eek::eek: I really don't think his waiting room will be that busy! I know he won't ever see me again!!

Bonny
02-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Constantly amazed at how many doctors are up on charges like this today. We had one doctor charged 3 yrs ago who is now in jail, one who lost his licence 5 yrs ago and another awaiting trial since the summer.
Can't remember that happening when I was growing up unless women were afraid to come forward.

Women were afraid to come forward years ago because the victims were the ones put on trial & nailed to the wall by the convicted persons attorneys. There was no support system of any kind back then.

Lady's Human
02-01-2012, 06:02 PM
According to court documents, the woman alleging she was raped in the exam room had a rape kit done and his DNA was found inside her. And guess what??? DNA DON'T LIE!!!

THE END!

No, not the end. Chain of custody of the evidence, collection methods, all can and will be challenged during the trial unless he decides that the evidence is too strong against him and pleads guilty.

Cataholic
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Women were afraid to come forward years ago because the victims were the ones put on trial & nailed to the wall by the convicted persons attorneys. There was no support system of any kind back then.

Why ever limit your comment the time frame, "years ago". Not a whole lot has changed. Even here, in our own little universe, we hear, " The number of false charges and accusations in the arena of sexual assault is despicable".

I would imagine statistically speaking, "false charges" exist in all areas of the crime world. Generalizing comments like that is like saying, "all union workers are lazy". There might be some...but to taint the whole picture is simply a continuation of the attitude, "she had it coming to her".

Here, we have the very much stigmatized crime of [insert your choice of sexual misconduct here] v. the almighty doctor. It is David v. Goliath. Throw in insurance defense? It is nearly impossible to prevail. The women (and sometimes, but rarely men) simply aren't up for the fight. That is one of the reasons they stay silent.

Lady's Human
02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
The issue with false charges in the realm of crimes like this is simple. If you're accused of DUI, and you beat the charges, there's little to no lingering stigma.

Someone accused of a sex crime, however, tends to carry the stigma of the accusation with them for years. Want to ruin an NCOs career? Simple, get a lower enlisted to accuse them of sexual harassment. The accusation is all it really takes, the veracity of the charges doesn't matter.

Karen
02-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Someone accused of a sex crime, however, tends to carry the stigma of the accusation with them for years. Want to ruin an NCOs career? Simple, get a lower enlisted to accuse them of sexual harassment. The accusation is all it really takes, the veracity of the charges doesn't matter.

NCO = Non-Commissioned Officer for those without military in the family!

It is sad that there are people who try to take advantage of the system like that, but we humans are flawed critters. At least in American courts, once is innocent until proven guilty, no matter what the person who shouts the loudest says. This just is not true in some parts of the world.

Cataholic
02-01-2012, 08:02 PM
The issue with false charges in the realm of crimes like this is simple. If you're accused of DUI, and you beat the charges, there's little to no lingering stigma.

Whoa. Stop the presses, Nelly. "Beat[ing] the charges" has nothing to do with whether the crime was committed. If someone rapes a person, abuses a child, or animal, but the prosecution doesn't do its job- that means a not guilty charge is returned. That is a whole lot different than a innocent charge.

Imagine, heaven forbid, your wife was raped at gunpoint, and the prosecution failed to present a good enough case to a jury, and the jury had no choice but to find the defendant 'not guilty'. Are you going to tell your wife the crime didn't happen?

The stigma of the accusation exists in our culture for both the defendant AND the victim. Fair? Perhaps not. I don't believe the military is somehow hit harder with false charges than the rest of the population. If so, perhaps the military needs to beef up its code on 'false charges', or get better prosecutors.

Lady's Human
02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Whoa. Stop the presses, Nelly. "Beat[ing] the charges" has nothing to do with whether the crime was committed. If someone rapes a person, abuses a child, or animal, but the prosecution doesn't do its job- that means a not guilty charge is returned. That is a whole lot different than a innocent charge.

Imagine, heaven forbid, your wife was raped at gunpoint, and the prosecution failed to present a good enough case to a jury, and the jury had no choice but to find the defendant 'not guilty'. Are you going to tell your wife the crime didn't happen?

The stigma of the accusation exists in our culture for both the defendant AND the victim. Fair? Perhaps not. I don't believe the military is somehow hit harder with false charges than the rest of the population. If so, perhaps the military needs to beef up its code on 'false charges', or get better prosecutors.

For many crimes, the prosecutor is the immediate chain of command.

Why does the military have a rough time recruiting Drill Sergeants, even though that patch on your uniform means easier promotions later? Part of it has to do with the fact that it's tough duty, but another big piece of it is that one private can ruin a career.

Asiel
02-01-2012, 08:32 PM
For many crimes, the prosecutor is the immediate chain of command.

Why does the military have a rough time recruiting Drill Sergeants, even though that patch on your uniform means easier promotions later? Part of it has to do with the fact that it's tough duty, but another big piece of it is that one private can ruin a career.

Give it up-- I know many girls who get scared when they get pregnant do cry rape to protect themselves or they say it was rape but they won't ID the guy because they don't want trouble but we're talking about a doctor here ---There might be one woman in a thousand who would try that but any professional doctor will not be accused unless there was something definitely going on - no woman would put herself in that position with someone who has the means and support for a super defense.

This doctor sounds guilty as h*ll period.

Lady's Human
02-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Give it up-- I know many girls who get scared when they get pregnant do cry rape to protect themselves or they say it was rape but they won't ID the guy because they don't want trouble but we're talking about a doctor here ---There might be one woman in a thousand who would try that but any professional doctor will not be accused unless there was something definitely going on - no woman would put herself in that position with someone who has the means and support for a super defense.

You mean like no one would accuse the Duke University Lacrosse players because their families are largely well connected and wealthy?

caseysmom
02-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Regardless of the due process of law Donna you have the absolute right to be concerned and upset about the whole thing.

moosmom
02-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Thank you Caseysmom!!

I guess I wasn't his type, cuz he was very professional and courteous with me, and I had been going to him for over 6 years.

Another woman said she was simply there for blood work. He told her to put on a gown (which she thought VERY odd) and came back into the exam room, unzipped his pants and touches her inappropriately. She told him to stop, ran out of the exam room and complained to his receptionist, who proceeded to tell her NOT to report it.

I also agree that it is the State's burden of proof to find him guilty. Like the Casey Anthony case...the state couldn't prove their case "beyond a reasonable doubt" that she was guilty, so they had to acquit. Doesn't mean she's not guilty.

One thing I always questioned was the way he handed out scripts for Vicodin, Somma and other narcotics, like they were candy and his exam room was ALWAYS packed. When I was having the problem with my knee for so long, he finally did send me for an x-ray (I refused to take that $hit, makes me sick and doesn't tell me WHAT is really going on). When I went in to find out the results, he asked me "what I needed". I told him absolutely nothing, that I'd rely on Aleve. Never even mentioned an MRI. That's when I took it upon myself to go to an orthopedic surgeon.

This is a lot bigger than even the cops thought.

moosmom
02-02-2012, 05:39 AM
Check THIS out!!!!

http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticut/hartford/hc-east-hartford-doctor-rape-20120201,0,6437465.story

Talk about a pill pusher!!! He also has complaints from when he worked at the Dept. of Corrections. Think he's still innocent now????

smokey the elder
02-02-2012, 10:27 AM
It's too bad that there isn't a third option like in Scotland (I think?) "Not Proven". This, IMO, is what OJ would have gotten.

Back to the matter at hand: the accuser of Assange was tainted by what she said to others, unfortunately. The chain of custody of the rape kit had best be very tight, to most effectively lock up the case against the doctor.

LH, I see your point, how, much like in the corporate or military world, there is a tendency to rush to judgment and presume guilt. If someone had a grudge against a senior NCO or officer in the military; or a supervisor in the corporate world, this provides disproportionally-powerful ammunition.

Karen
02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
The point is, moosmom, what we *think* does not matter unless we are chosen as jurors in his trial. Innocent until PROVEN guilty is the law of the land.

moosmom
02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I am totally in agreement with "innocent until proven guilty" and I would want the same if it were me being charged.

HOWEVER, again...DNA doesn't lie. I called the police and spoke with the Sargeant in charge. He told me that they are aware of his "shady" prescription practices and the DEA and local authorities are also involved. He told me a police officer will be in touch to speak with me.

Catty1
02-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah, Donna - there has to be a process. It's better than some countries where you can be hauled off to jail without any charges! (Mexico et al).

I think of the OK murder case. He was charged with murder in the first degree. The key there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt that the murders were premeditated, or planned.

Heck, "everyone knows" he killed them. (The civil case for wrongful death was decided quickly). But premeditation couldn't be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

If they had charged him with manslaughter, which I understand covers 'crimes of passion', OJ might well have been convicted. But there's no double jeopardy.

They have DNA on this doctor - it just has to be admitted in court. Wow...is his life over!

I hope you find a good new doctor - I think their office can send a letter to the former office with permission to transfer files.

Varga
02-03-2012, 05:00 AM
I don't really understand how DNA proves anything... I mean, couldn't the woman still have had willing sex and then come up with the rape story once it was found out by a husband/boyfriend/whatever? :confused:

Not saying I'm convinced of his innocence but I'm just saying that if her story is true, then I hope there is better evidence than that so he doesn't get away with it.

moosmom
02-03-2012, 05:10 AM
According to police, every single complaint lodged is consistent with one another. It shows a "pattern". That's very difficult to do if they were all lying or in cahoots with each other. As Judge Judy would say, "If you tell the truth, you don't have to have a good memory."

pomtzu
02-03-2012, 06:13 AM
This guy made the national news last night. It was reported on HLN by Jane Valez-Mitchell or Nancy Grace :eek: - don't remember which one.

Edwina's Secretary
02-07-2012, 01:05 PM
LH, I see your point, how, much like in the corporate or military world, there is a tendency to rush to judgment and presume guilt. If someone had a grudge against a senior NCO or officer in the military; or a supervisor in the corporate world, this provides disproportionally-powerful ammunition.

And visa versa...ever seen the damage done to a woman when some disgruntled man starts a rumor about her..."round heels", "slept her way to the top", etc. etc? It can be a real career stopper.

That starts in high school when boys brag about having sex with a girl - whether they did or not.

Lady's Human
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Never said the damage didn't go both ways.

This, however, is what happens when the charges and innuendo are all that matters and no one waits for proof to judge.

RICHARD
02-07-2012, 04:28 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....