PDA

View Full Version : Job for me

lolli94
01-31-2012, 06:52 AM
Any suggestions for a job working with dogs? I really don't enjoy the job I have and I would love to work with animals. I applied at a pet store near here but I guess they don't need me. :(

pomtzu
01-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Any suggestions for a job working with dogs? I really don't enjoy the job I have and I would love to work with animals. I applied at a pet store near here but I guess they don't need me. :(

How old are you? Married? Any kids? How many hours do you have to devote to a job - full or part time?

Pet sitting or a dog walker comes to mind.

lolli94
01-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Young, single, no kids. I still live with my parents and can work 4 days a week.

beeniesmom
01-31-2012, 09:17 AM
I'd try other grooming places or maybe see if anyone needs a dog walker in your area. www.care.com is a good site to offer pet sitting services.
Also www.indeed.com is a good site to search for jobs in your area. Just put in your zip code and what you'd like to do in the search engine. I've found most of my jobs there. Good luck!

Alysser
01-31-2012, 09:37 AM
I was much like you a few months ago. I had worked at an amusement park for four years and I was kind of over that job at this point. It was seasonal so I was never making money in the winter either. I liked it enough, I LOVED my co-workers and still do (most of them), but I got sick of the favoritism and all so I decided it was time for a change. Anyway, I wasn't really looking for a job but saw an ad in the paper for a local kennel/doggy day care that had just opened. I e-mailed them immediately and they told me to fill out an application. A week later I was working there on a week trial period, which was over in 3 days. Needless to say I love it, I enjoy my co-workers and I LOVE the dogs.

It took me years to finally get a kennel job so it may take awhile. I also wanted to say it does happen when you least expect it. Just to clarify, I work at Camp Bow Wow, it's a franchise so there are quite a few around. I see you live in Indiana and I did a little search for you. I don't know where you live in Indiana but there's two within the state.
http://campbowwow.com/index.php?radiusToSearch=100&radiusStartPoint=%2846296%29+Indianapolis%2C+India na&radiusStartPointId=58908&search=Search&searchphrase=exact&option=com_sobi2&sobiCid=0&sobi2Task=search&reset=2&Itemid=0

I have a 30 minute commute to work, which is the farthest I've had since I began working at 15. They need people who are reliable, willing to clean throw-up, poop, & pee. Obviously, you can't be scared of dogs either. Not big dogs or pitbulls or any of that. It's a good place to work. I hope you find something close to you. Good luck.

lolli94
01-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Thank you so much everybody! I looked at the places you mentioned, Allyser. They looked perfect but are 2- 2 1/2 hours away:(

IRescue452
01-31-2012, 01:04 PM
I think your 4 days a week limit might be your downfall if its certain days. Places with animals need staff to be on hand daily to take care of them. They probably want somebody with more flexible hours.

lolli94
01-31-2012, 04:45 PM
My hours are real flexible I just want some time to spend with my own dogs. If I am not working 8+ hours a day I would do five+ days.

Karen
01-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Try looking in the phone book or online for doggie daycare, or pet care places or kennels, and call them asking if they are hiring. Have a resume ready to send them, and don't put stipulations like "4 days a week" on the resume or cover letter.

Asiel
01-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Have you checked with your local vets? Sometimes they need someone to keep the rooms disinfected after each visit, cleaning the cages, making the animals comfy after surgery, watching them during recovery and most vet clinics now offer grooming services so you might get lucky there.
You could always run an ad for pet sitting services, many homes prefer to hire someone to live in or go to the house a few times daily when they go away...I know I never boarded any of my dogs and never will.

dab_20
01-31-2012, 07:02 PM
If your over 18, which it looks like you are, kennel jobs would be a good fit. Grooming places, pet day care, even veterinary offices. If you are having a hard time finding a position, volunteer at your local shelter! It's so much fun.

Good luck finding something. It may take awhile but be persistent!

luvofallhorses
02-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Well, it depends on what you want to do with dogs! Dog daycares are nice to work at BUT make sure there is a reasonable amount of dogs to watch after per staff member. I used to work at a dog daycare and I LOVED it. But, it was just me and the dogs most of the time. I loved it, barely any fights but you need to be experienced to break up fights and care for multiple dogs at a time with or without kennels. My boss there doesn't believe in confinement of any sort so I had to watch all of them like a hawk. Make sure you know proper dog behavior too because some dogs play too rough and you have to intervene.

A kennel attendant at a vet hospital or shelter is not all that easy but it is rewarding. Actually here, you can be 16 and hold a kennel attendant job in the summer.

You have to be strong to deal with hurt and sick animals both at shelters and vet hospitals. It's hard to cope with, you will have to deal with dead animals as well that have been sick or dying after surgery. Make sure you have someone to share your thoughts/feelings with. It helps to have someone be on your side.. to just listen! I work at my animal shelter and LOVE it but every job has it's ups and downs. Best of luck to you in searching for the career for you. :)

lolli94
02-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Thank you all. I think I will ask around about working at a veterinary clinic:) Pray I will find something. Thanks