PDA

View Full Version : Story about game reserves in Texas from "60 Minutes"

cassiesmom
01-30-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm putting this in the Dog House because I know there are opinions about hunting within the Pet Talk community. This is a story by Lara Logan from "60 Minutes" yesterday. The situation is this. In Texas there are animal reserves where endangered species of animals live and are thriving -- in the report she gives examples of three species of animals. The question is: should people be permitted to hunt for them? I don't think so, but then I don't like hunting. I think that if the herds in Texas get too large, then they should either go to preserves in Africa or to zoos. But not to be hunted.

I just wondered if anyone else saw this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57368000/can-hunting-endangered-animals-save-the-species/?tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

Karen
01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I didn't see the show, but I agree - if the herds get too large, by all means relocate some where they can be safe in their original countries!

Okay, I now read the transcript of the article. Some of them have been relocated back to Africa. But I do think, if the herds are as large as they are here, and allowing a few hunters to pay big bucks to hunt a small number, and therefore keep the ranches in business, population stable and biodiversity intact, by all means, allow a few to be hunted, as long as the species is kept healthy enough to some day be returned to its native lands when things there stabilize enough for them to thrive in safety.

Asiel
01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
No. I don't think they should allow hunters to shoot the animals. Main reason being is that they are on reserves for their protection and along comes someone who shoots them. I have no problem with people hunting legally and fairly during hunting season, especially if they're filling their freezers and eating what they kill. I object to parties hunting for the sake of a trophy and leaving the meat to rot. JMO , I'm an animal lover so that's how I see it.

RICHARD
01-30-2012, 09:43 PM
The 'hunters' who are paying thousands of dollars to a 'preserve' to hunt are helping to keep these places open.

I am not a huinter, nor do I advocate the senseless killing of animals.

BUT,

Think about the work that these 'farmers' have undertaken to import and nuture the herds of animals.

They have saved a species headed towards extinction, helped to raise a strong breed of animal, that is introduced back into their native land.

Here in the US they haven't the predators that would prey on them in the natural habitat. Yes, they are hunted for sport, something I do not condone, but the other alternative is to have the species disappear from the planet.

Sometimes the worst case scenario is one that we have to live with.

-------------------------------

The laws, rules and infrastructure in Africa, where these animals come from is a joke.

You have three guys with a 10 year old Range Rover, two AK 47 rifles and 30 rounds, to patrol thousands of acres to insure some animals are not eradicated from the planet.

As effed up as the way things are here in the US, I kinda think that it's a bit better than losing some of the most spectacular animals on the planet.

moosmom
01-31-2012, 06:01 AM
All I'm going to say is absolutely not. As RICHARD said, it's senseless killing of animals.