PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Medication.

Lori Jordan
01-27-2012, 09:43 PM
I was told to get Maggy on Allergy Medication.I'm just wondering if any of you have had to place your dogs on this medication.
What worked best?Brand?

All input is appreciated!

Karen
01-27-2012, 09:47 PM
I am surprised the doc didn't recommend anything specific! I wouldn't guess at this, especially as the vet will know what it's for (type of allergy) and other bits of her medical history. It's nothing you should have to guess at!

Lori Jordan
01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
I am surprised the doc didn't recommend anything specific! I wouldn't guess at this, especially as the vet will know what it's for (type of allergy) and other bits of her medical history. It's nothing you should have to guess at!

He told me Reactine,Once a day.I was just wondering if anyone has ever had to put there pets on this medication,and what worked best.

chocolatepuppy
01-27-2012, 10:00 PM
My RB Lacey used to take Hydroxyzine. It was from the vet. It didn't work miracles, but did help.

robinh
01-28-2012, 06:21 AM
My RB Max also used Hydroxyzine. Some days it was very helpful...other days not so much. But with the change in his diet to a no grain dog food, he got better.

Cataholic
02-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Jasper is on allergy medicine, claritin, generic walgreens brand, once a day. It helps.

Kater
02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I was told to get Maggy on Allergy Medication.I'm just wondering if any of you have had to place your dogs on this medication.
What worked best?Brand?

All input is appreciated!

Hey,

It is hard to say which allergy medication may or may not work for Maggy. Dogs are like people in that there is incredible variation. The OTC options you can consider trying include: chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), hydroxyzine (Atarax), loratadine (Claritin), clemastine (Tavist) and Cetirizine (Zyrtec). Ask your veterinarian for doses. Possible side effects can include drowsiness, lethargy or nervousness. Honestly, in dogs and cats anithistamines only relieve clinical signs of allergies in approximately 20-30% cases.

Lori Jordan
02-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Hey,

It is hard to say which allergy medication may or may not work for Maggy. Dogs are like people in that there is incredible variation. The OTC options you can consider trying include: chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), hydroxyzine (Atarax), loratadine (Claritin), clemastine (Tavist) and Cetirizine (Zyrtec). Ask your veterinarian for doses. Possible side effects can include drowsiness, lethargy or nervousness. Honestly, in dogs and cats anithistamines only relieve clinical signs of allergies in approximately 20-30% cases.

I'm looking into all the above,I have her switched to a grain free food,I want to wait a week or so before I put her on any Allergy med,I don't know if there would be any side effects,Being she was just on antiobiotics.

Cataholic
02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I had a very interesting conversation with a rep for a holistic company. Coconut oil, both topical application like between the toes where a dog might chew, and in the food. Make sure it is coconut oil without any hexane in it.

Can't hurt to try, IMO.