PDA

View Full Version : A question about kitty grass

mrspunkysmom
01-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Most containers call this a wheat grass, yet online searches label wheatgrass as a product of wheat and not a grass.

Since I am allergic to wheat, how does this kitty grass compare to actual wheat?

Freedom
01-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Far as I know, "kitty grass" is a generic term; it may be wheat, it may be barley. I always got the barley back when I got kitty grass.

I use Barley Cat instead, now. Shake it over their food.

This is NOT where I buy it, just a link to show you what I am talking about:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=barley+cat&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7955338143609801800&sa=X&ei=5AciT7bjCcnf0QHI8M22CA&ved=0CHUQ8wIwAQ

To answer your specific question, wheat grass is the young wheat plant.

Karen
01-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Well it is probably some related grain, but as long as you yourself are not ingesting it, it should be fine to have around.

cassiesmom
01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Most containers call this a wheat grass, yet online searches label wheatgrass as a product of wheat and not a grass.

Since I am allergic to wheat, how does this kitty grass compare to actual wheat?

Cassie here. I am in charge at my house. There is no grass there right now. I am not happy about that!
Cassie's staff here. Since I have the opposable thumbs I buy groceries. Cat grass is too expensive in the winter, missy. You'll just have to wait till warmer weather. Someone's Grandpawpie grows it for her :rolleyes:

mrspunkysmom
01-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Well it is probably some related grain, but as long as you yourself are not ingesting it, it should be fine to have around.

Well, I was using a litter mixture of mostly corn with pine and wheat. When cleaning letter pans daily I use gloves and a mask. One day the plastic bag brushed my arm while scooping. 30 minutes later I had large, red welts where the bag has brushed my arm.

I thought it was corn and avoided corn for a while but remembered later that I had tried different litters in different boxes and some had become combined.

This is why I switched back to clay litter recently.