PDA

View Full Version : I am amused

Karen
01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
by spammers all the time. I love getting ones for various nationality brides, (hello, I am female and married, no interest in any brides, thanks) singles over 50 (or 60, or 70), drugs to help body parts I don't have, etc. But lately I am getting a new one that seems like it might fool a lot of people!

"An Ex is searching for you ..."

Well, guess what? I'm one of those rare, fortunate humans who has no "ex" - no ex-husband, no ex-boyfriend ... Never dated anyone at all seriously before Paul, married him and that's that! There is no "ex" searching for me!

What spam titles make you grin as you hit "delete" - and isn't there a reason someone's usually an "ex" that means you wouldn't want to hear from them anyway?

pomtzu
01-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Now that's one I haven't gotten yet. I'm certain my ex wouldn't be looking for me - tho he really does know where I am anyway! :(

I get all the other "good" ones you mentioned tho. I have to laugh at the ones that ask if I want to be a better man in bed!!! HUH??? I never wanted to be a man - anywhere!!! Then there's the Russian (and other) brides offers, black singles, Jewish singles, Christian singles, over 50 singles, the ones that liked my profile on FaceBook, (even tho I don't do FB and don't have a profile anywhere other than here on PT) - all looking to hook up with me. Sheesh - I'm single because I want to be and like it that way. And that's why I'm an "ex". :p

My spam box is always a great source of amusement - and amazement too!!! :eek:

luckies4me
01-24-2012, 06:12 PM
What spam titles make you grin as you hit "delete" - and isn't there a reason someone's usually an "ex" that means you wouldn't want to hear from them anyway?

Right?! ;)

Asiel
01-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Some of those really send me overboard. The ones from FaceBook where I always have 5-6 friends wanting to keep in touch...all I have to do is sign in...yeah okay - never been on FB and don't ever intend on being there. None of my friends are on there either . I keep wondering when I'll be receiving my inheritance from the long lost relative :D

smokey the elder
01-25-2012, 07:26 AM
The...ahem..."enhancement" of various appendages crack me up! The 'bots clearly don't discriminate due to gender...:p

Laura's Babies
01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
I get them too. The ones for the "enhancement" cracks me up... Sorry, but I like myself just as I am..

I haven't gotten the one about a ex looking for me, darn! I feel cheated!

Also the money scams.. Are people really that easily fooled?

Some days my spam box has 60 or more, other days around 20.

Karen
01-25-2012, 11:02 AM
The best part - I get hundreds of spam per day, my mail program filters 99% of them out - are the spam emails I get in other languages. Frankly I am not good at telling whether it is Mandarin or Cantonese, or maybe some is some other Asian character set, I am pretty sure I get some on Thai, but wouldn't swear to it, as well as Korean ... I do not speak any of these languages, and certainly cannot read them!

momcat
01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
At times I'm amazed at how many "friends" are looking for me! Invariably they're folks I never heard of let alone ever met. Then there are the ones telling me I can dramatically increase my income by stuffing envelopes in the comfort of my home (yeah, right) and other such nonsense. If I actually collected all the money I've allegedly won, I would have my dream log cabin house in the Catskills, my Jaguar XJ-6, and not worry about getting up on time to go to work.

Karen, PT is the ONLYcomputer site I ever go to. Yours is the only one I trust. But most important, my experience with computers has been extremely negative right from the start. PT is the only good experience I've ever had. Thank you for that!

Karen
01-26-2012, 05:24 PM
I get plenty of "Linked In" spam - requests from people I do not know, and it all says "please confirm you know X" or "Please confirm "x" is part of your "professional network!" Pretty funny, as my "company" includes me, and Paul, to whom I have been married for a very long time, and don't need "linked In" to connect with!

Cataholic
01-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Also the money scams.. Are people really that easily fooled?

Apparently, they are. It blows my mind to read/hear about people scammed of money over the internet. There is naive and gullible,then there is just plain something else.

RICHARD
01-26-2012, 07:25 PM
The...ahem..."enhancement" of various appendages crack me up! The 'bots clearly don't discriminate due to gender...:p

Who doesn't want toned arms.......

dab_20
01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
But, they obviously work, people are so gullible :rolleyes:

How do you guys see all these spam emails anyway? Do you look in your junk box? I get a spam email maybe once every 2 months that actually arrives in my inbox.

Karen
01-26-2012, 08:11 PM
But, they obviously work, people are so gullible :rolleyes:

How do you guys see all these spam emails anyway? Do you look in your junk box? I get a spam email maybe once every 2 months that actually arrives in my inbox.

My email addresses, especially those for PetoftheDay.com have been online since 197. So I am on every potential spammer's radar and always have been. Plus, because all pet nominations come with attachments, and from unknown people, I allow them in, so a few spam pieces hit my inbox each day, and besides that, I regularly check my spam mailbox to make sure no pet nominations end up there by accident!

sana
01-27-2012, 04:19 AM

Lool! I get them too :p :rolleyes:

I usually get spams like "I've recently moved into your neighborhood and thought to make friends with you" and I'm like....WHAT THE HECK? There isn't any space for a new house in my neighborhood.. :p And at times I get emails like "Save ??% and get ??" (the ?? mean anything...) and I get emails about widowers or widows in my neighborhood looking for somebody. And I get lots of other dirty emails... :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
01-27-2012, 09:08 AM
LinkedIn is a legitimate business social networking site, but it isn't perfect! To wit: about a week and a half ago, I got asked to connect from someone who sent me a very suggestive email in my linkedin mailbox. What made it suspicious aside from the content was that legit connections are sent to me through my work email.

Both LinkedIn and Facebook advise you only to connect to people you know in RL. I think highly-trusted online friends can be included, particularly if you've connected in other ways (gift swaps, Christmas cards, etc.)

Facebook will block people from trying to "friend" you if you declare you don't know them when you decline (at least as of a couple weeks ago!)

Best protections: change passwords often. (A rule I honor more often in the breach than the observance!:D)

Taz_Zoee
01-27-2012, 09:39 AM
For a while I kept receiving emails here at work from someone that is lonely and has nude pictures online that they'd like me to look at. Luckily they do not come through any longer. And my home email never receives spam. My brother has it set up that way. Sure I probably do not receive some legit emails sometimes, but oh well.
Most of the time if I do see an email (work or home) that I do not recognize the sender I won't even read it. I just delete it immediately. But at work I use the preview pane so sometimes I see them. Or I should say...saw them, when they used to come through.

redbird
01-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I have a lot of ex's, ex husband, ex boyfriends but I don't want to be bothered with them anymore, that's why they are my ex's so no I wouldn't bother with this kind of spam.

Karen
01-29-2012, 08:09 PM
The amazing thing is, if there not people out there who fall them, the spammers would go out of business, and that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon! There are many drugs I would not have even heard of if it were not for spam, so I guess if I ever go bald, or change genders unexpectedly, I'll know what drugs to ask for, I guess! And I love the "lose weight today" emails - like they could a) tell my weight and b) tell me anything my doc has not already said ... but seeing as it seems every women's magazine has a weight loss headline at the checkout stand, I guess people are buying those, too! And unlike those magazines, at least the spammers cannot assault me with perfume cards tucked inside!

ramanth
01-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Lately I've been getting spam saying a 'customer complained to the BBB about me'. I don't even have a business! I chuckle when I delete those.

Karen
01-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Lately I've been getting spam saying a 'customer complained to the BBB about me'. I don't even have a business! I chuckle when I delete those.

The first one of those I got gave me pause for a half-second, then I looked at the headers ... and realized it came to an email address that doesn't even include my name, I think it was to "help" at one of the domain names, not either myself or Paul!

pomtzu
02-09-2012, 04:28 PM
I got a couple of good ones yesterday that gave me a good laugh.

They were from the IRS, informing me that I had missed the filing deadline of January 31st, for filing my Federal Taxes, and I could be subject to a fine of up to $10,000. Of course there was a link I had to go to to provide them with all kinds of info - probably wanted my social security # for starters!!! Hmmm - wonder why I was never notified of the change in the filing date?? :rolleyes::p

Wouldn't you think these moron scamers would do their homework and get their facts straight before they put crap like this out there, and make themselves look even more stupid than they actually are??

phesina
02-09-2012, 05:28 PM
They don't need to worry about little concerns like "facts".. There are plenty of people out there even stupider than they are who fall for this crap.

Karen
02-09-2012, 08:24 PM
I have never, ever given the IRS my email address, so don't even open those!

pomtzu
02-10-2012, 06:30 AM
I have never, ever given the IRS my email address, so don't even open those!

It wasn't really the IRS - just another scam. Besides that, my email address is not "undisclosed recipients". :D

smokey the elder
02-10-2012, 08:31 AM
There was an article on tax scams on Yahoo yesterday. Bottom line: the IRS never uses email.

pomtzu
02-10-2012, 08:49 AM
There was an article on tax scams on Yahoo yesterday. Bottom line: the IRS never uses email.

Of course they don't, and all of us intelligent PTers know that. What blows my mind, is all the people that fall for these scams.