PDA

View Full Version : I can't keep him out of his sutures! Help!

snakemama
01-22-2012, 09:02 PM
I am at my wit's end here.

I can't keep Kyubey from chewing his sutures. He's wearing a soft E-collar, but he's figured out how to pull it so he can reach his sutures. He can wear a hard E-collar, but I don't want to leave him unable to get water while I'm at work this week.

I tried a no-sting bitter agent, and he licked it right up. I tried a tiny dog shirt, but it rubbed the sutures and he got it off. I tried an inflatable E-collar but he can get it off. Tried the next size down and he can still reach the sutures. I bought some calming treats which do seem to take the edge off, and he's on pain meds even though he doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Any ideas? Right now he's supervised round the clock, but that's just not going to be doable for the next two weeks.

krazyaboutkatz
01-22-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. The only thing that I can suggest is to call your vet and let him/her know what's going on. Maybe your vet will have some good ideas. I know that by giving an animal pain medications, they sometimes feel too good so they won't rest and let themselves heal. Maybe you should try to give him fewer pain meds. I think I only gave my RB Starr his pain meds at night when he was more likely to sleep Good luck.:)

wolf_Q
01-22-2012, 11:25 PM
There's another type of e-collar called a bite-not collar. I don't know if this would work any better? http://www.dog.com/item/bitenot-collar/220104/?srccode=ADDOGP&kwid=48ddfa12dd624c40a6ff878d99b5650e&gclid=COKZhPqz5a0CFQ41hwodmz3sTQ he shouldn't be able to get it off and he could still drink.

catmandu
01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
That is so frustratring when Our Cats do things that will hurt them like picking at thier stitches or racing outside when they ahve a purrfectly nice home.
We are praying that Kyubey will not do sometyhing that will cause him any harm:love:

Freedom
01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Geepers, don't they find ways to worry us! I hope the vet has some ideas - maybe a pain relief medicine.