PDA

View Full Version : A legendary coach gone

david p
01-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Joe Paterno passed away this morning in State College, Pa. From complications of lung cancer and chemo therapy. He was 85 years old. He was coach from 1950 to 1964 and head coach from 1964 to 2012. He will be missed.

Karen
01-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Rest in peace, sir. You inspired many players, even those you did not personally come into contact with. I hope your legacy outlasts the current scandal.

pomtzu
01-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I actually cried when I heard the news today. It's such a shame that his long life had to be in such turmoil these past couple of months, and so many people unjustly laid so much of the Penn State scandal on his shoulders. But as always, Joe Pa was a class act, and never showed any bitterness. Hopefully the majority of people will remember him for all the good he did - both on and off the field.

RIP Joe Pa. You will be greatly missed by millions - young and old alike. :love:

cassiesmom
07-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I heard on the news that the independent investigation of the Penn State scandal was released and Coach Paterno was one of many people who was named. I couldn't tell from the news piece whether the investigation felt he just didn't go far enough in reporting the allegations or he actually tried to cover it up. One of the sports columnists in Chicago contends that Penn State football should be suspended for five years- I don't think that's fair to current players who had nothing to do with the actions (inactions?) of university staff. I agree with Karen- I hope his legacy outlasts this current scandal.

kitten645
07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Actually, four men (not many) were found to have covered up for Sandusky (sp?). It's a pity that a sport/game came ahead of the welfare of children. So sad it has fallen on the current players to carry the burden of shame. :(