PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

lizbud
01-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Personaly I think it's a great idea. It's time these crimes are brought
out into the open & discussed as a serious crime. The abusers should be
named & recognised as the criminals they are.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/states-look-to-establish-online-animal-abuser-registries/

pomtzu
01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
I think it's a great idea, but not without flaws. The biggest problem is catching and prosecuting these scumbags, and then of course, enforcing their registration. The system has a hard enough time keeping track of the sex offenders, and I'm certain that the majority of John Q. Public (not PTers), would not particularly want to see their tax money spent for this. But yeah - something definitely needs to be done, and this is an idea in the right direction.

Catty1
01-21-2012, 11:37 AM
This would be a great resource for animal shelters and HS's. Even if some abuser is "acquitted" or given a slap on the wrist, mandatory membership on this registry would hopefully prevent any further adoptions by creeps like this.

Public access would be good too, especially for those "free to good home" advertisers!

Alysser
01-21-2012, 11:52 AM
I think it's a good idea as well! Especially for rescues, people looking for new homes for pets via craigslist and newspapers, etc. However, I can't help think it won't be regularly enforced.

Catty1
01-21-2012, 12:22 PM
As long as it's updated and accessible to all, there wouldn't be much to enforce; I would hope that people would use this and NOT adopt out to people on the registry.

phesina
01-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I think this is an excellent idea, especially if it could become widely accessible, used, and enforced.

moosmom
01-21-2012, 01:47 PM
CT is one of the states working to implement it. It's about time!!! We have to be the voices of the animals that can't speak for themselves.

momcat
01-22-2012, 02:05 PM
This is something that is way overdue. I'm solidly in favor of federal legislation on this. Granted, there would be problems with enforcement but it is a step in the right direction. I plan now to talk to my animal loving friends to try and get something like this going in New Jersey. It's worth a shot. Donna, please let us know how it works out in Connecticut?

happylabs
01-22-2012, 06:04 PM
YES! OMG...yes. We need this in Pennsylvania. There have been way too many animal abuse cases lately.

I would personally push for this in PA.

Karen
01-22-2012, 06:40 PM
It will be good to see how it works in the states that are working on it, then to roll it out nationwide. Arizona, Maryland, Florida, New York, and Colorado are pretty widespread, and if they can get something up and running, then spread it to neighboring states, this might be the start of something good.

krazyaboutkatz
01-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Yes, I think that this is a great idea and I'd support it 100%.:)