PDA

View Full Version : To Karen our Mayor, but all should read

mrspunkysmom
01-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Wow, I really feel for you, now knowing what's it's like to have one or more serious allergies. This wheat allergy has me giving away lots of food. So kudos :love: for living with it and an apology for ever wondering if any of it was psychological. :love:

Karen
01-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes, it can be hard, but thankfully, there are food pantries that will take any non-perishables. I am glad wheat is not one of mine, as I basically live on grain-based stuff!

I have told anyone if they thought is was psychological, feed me something on my list and then volunteer to be stuck in an elevator with me ...

mrspunkysmom
01-18-2012, 10:17 PM
I actually have to start cooking again. Fortunately, mom taught me how to cook from scratch.

As for stress, i know mine can be triggered by stress and the boss has been a real ass this year. The hives and rashes have been going on for three months so I knew it also had at least one biological component.

I will so miss bread.

momcat
01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
My Mom was highly allergic to tomatoes. She had to be extremely careful because there's tomato in so many different foods. Mom's reactions were so extreme that she would have a reaction if she got the juice on her hand while slicing one. If Mom ate something with tomato, even a minimal amout of ketchup in a meatloaf, she would break out in hives internally. Scary.

Food alergies are very serious and can have devastating effects. After seeing Mom's problems with tomatoes, I understand this is something that MUST be taken seriously! To those of you with these allergies, please be very careful don't hesitate to ask what is in something you'd like to try.

Karen
01-19-2012, 09:14 AM
I will so miss bread.

You don't need to! At least around here, supermarkets - particularly if you have a Whole Foods - have gluten-free bread available!

Queen of Poop
01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
I actually have to start cooking again. Fortunately, mom taught me how to cook from scratch.

As for stress, i know mine can be triggered by stress and the boss has been a real ass this year. The hives and rashes have been going on for three months so I knew it also had at least one biological component.

I will so miss bread.

I too cannot have wheat products. I've recently found some fabulous gluten free breads here. My fav is a cinammon/raisin bread. It's so to die for!!! And over Christmas my local "health food" store also had gluten free shortbread cookies. OMG they were soooooo good. Look around, hopefully you can find some big scores where you're at.

krazyaboutkatz
01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't know if you have a "Sprouts" where you live but they have a lot of gluten free products. I received a flyer from them yesterday and they're having a sale on all gluten free products this week. I think that Trader Joe's also carries many gluten free products so these days people with this problem now have many more options than they used to.

mrspunkysmom
01-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Just a quick question:

You can separate the wheat gluten from the bread that still has wheat in it? Even gluten free soup with noodles made me itch badly and I ate or drank everything but the noodles. Well, I had a few, but left most of the noodles.

I also think there is something else that I am allergic to.

Thanks for your suggestions and support.

I think I'm getting laryngitis. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen
01-19-2012, 10:31 PM
You need to start what we call an "elimination diet." Tomorrow, eat only things with one in or two ingredients. Plain rice, maybe with some butter, for example. Then the next meal, you can try adding a protein like plain chicken breast, and see if that is safe, etc., etc. Then the next meal, add a veggie, etc. Soup is terribly complicated, you're gonna have to stay away from soup for the time being.

And no, anything with wheat in it is a no-go for you. There's no way to take the gluten away from already-baked bread.

mrspunkysmom
01-20-2012, 05:50 PM
I was definitely tired last night when i wrote that. I was thinking that if the gluten was removed from the wheat prior to baking could you still make bread? I was very skeptical and my question was supposed to be skeptical.

Anyway, got to go.l Be back later to discuss more.