PDA

View Full Version : Temporary guest at the ploss cat house!!! UPDATE 2/24

moosmom
01-14-2012, 09:00 AM
As many of you know, I've been socializing two feral kittens that were trapped back in September. It's been a loooooong haul!

They are now 16 weeks old. P-Diddy (the boy, and I did NOT pick that name!!) is a sweet little boy, still a bit shy but purrs like a diesel engine. He loves to snuggle in my neck. His sister, on the otherhand, is still hissy and will jump 2 feet from my shoulder to the cage just to get away from me. She still needs a lot of work.

They both love to be around the other cats. So, P-Diddy is coming to my house. He's almost ready for a furrever home. He'll be crated for a day or so, but everyone will be able to see and smell each other.

Then he'll come out and hang with the clan till he gets the idea that THAT is what he's supposed to do, EAT, SLEEP, PLAY and above all, FEEL SAFE!!!!

Since I don't want him to be alone on Sunday (I babysit for 10 hours) I'll be picking him up Monday. :D:D:D

HE'S ONLY HERE TEMPORARILY!!!! Just to get him accustomed to being a housecat. HE IS NOT STAYING!!!!!!!

I'll post pictures once he gets here.

He's not staying, he's not staying, he's not staying.

catmandu
01-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Malcolm Spunky Scratchy Moose still wants out as does Ebony Beau Tubster Two. Even in the snow:eek:
We know that you will socialze those Two Little Cats of the Future and they will soon be House Cats Supreme for thier Families:love:

chocolatepuppy
01-14-2012, 09:47 AM
HE'S ONLY HERE TEMPORARILY!!!! Just to get him accustomed to being a housecat. HE IS NOT STAYING!!!!!!!

I'll post pictures once he gets here.

He's not staying, he's not staying, he's not staying.

Gotch ya!;) Can't wait to see pics.:D

Freedom
01-14-2012, 09:49 AM
As I read about the girl, I couldn't help but think of Mandy.

Were these 2 very close when trapped? I don't mean physically, I mean emotionally attached? And were they kept together or separated?

You may recall Mandy was stuck to the side of her brother; but the rescue insisted on separating them for socializing. I just don't think she was ready, and that this has made her life since (going on 4 years now) so much more difficult.

When it was Tommy and Tuppence turn, I insisted they be kept together, and it made a world of difference for Tuppy. Course I don't know how she would have developed if separated from him. But at the time, she would not leave his side, and I allowed her to stay there, where she felt save, until SHE was ready to venture away from him. I still remember those first few weeks, bold outgoing Tommy walking, running, jumping, doing kitten things; and Tuppy girl just trying to stick to his side, lol.

Sure hope the girl comes along!

Now, we all know he is not staying, Donna. :D Let us know how that works for ya! :p ;)

katladyd
01-15-2012, 03:03 PM
He's not staying. Right. Gotcha. Whatcha gonna name him?:D

Laura's Babies
01-15-2012, 06:37 PM
I hear ya.... and I actually know you mean it!

moosmom
01-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Sandie,

Not sure if they were close, as my friend Jan did the trapping. They were trapped together, along with their brother who went to the Bridge. Originally they were put together in a cage. I left them that way for a couple of weeks then separated them. Feral girls are generally more difficult to socialize.

The problem is these poor babies have had health issues (lungworm, roundworm ghiardia and now coccydia) so that's why they've been in a cage for so long. I've been going over to my friends house every day to socialize them. P-Diddy is doing so well. When he sees me, he runs to the front of the exercise pen and meows. He does the "elevator butt" dance and butts his head into my lips for kisses. I don't see him being at my house very long. When I hold him in my lap, he CRAVES being around Nancy's other cats. That's why I think he'll do well at my house TEMPORARILY!!!!

Lucy is still the hold-out. The one issue I have is that Nancy claims she doesn't have time to sit and socialize them, although she'll lay on her bed and read a book. I'm frustrated in that when I made the commitment to socialize these babies, I THOUGHT I was going to get help from her, but that's not the case. So now that P-Diddy will be at my house, I'm hoping it'll force Nancy's hand into helping me out a little.

Going to set up the crate in my bedroom and then go pick him up later today. I'll post pictures.

cassiesmom
01-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Fingers and paws crossed for the temporary guest(s) to do very well under your care, Moosmom! (Do you think there is a chance Lucy might thrive as an "only" kitty? I know you will do wonders, whether they come together or only P-Diddy by himself.

:love:
Elyse

moosmom
01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab18/deploss/puff003.jpg

He's settling in nicely. I have the crate in my bedroom and my crew are free to go in and out of the room. He's very comfortable. He is so jonseing to schmooze with my furkids. But unfortunately, until he's finished with the Albon (next Monday) for coccydia (his sister tested positive, he didn't so it's just a precaution) he can only come when I'm holding him. The last thing I need is to have all my 8 kits come down with coccydia.

He's doing great right now and loves coming out to hang with me. I think once he learns how to be a housecat, he'll be find a great home.

HE'S NOT STAYING!!!!

katladyd
01-16-2012, 06:44 PM
He is an adorable boy! I know you can't keep him, but it would be almost impossible for me to give him up. Unless, of course, the perfect spot in the perfect home opens up. Then it would be doable. I hope this happens with Diddy.

cassiesmom
01-16-2012, 07:35 PM
He's beautiful! A prayer that the purr-fect home will be identified for him!

NO Coccidia, NO Coccidia!

moosmom
01-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Me THINKS he's getting a little TOO comfortable.

I let him 'splore today. Because he's still being treated for coccydia as a precaution (his sister tested positive but he tested negative), I closed my bedroom door so he wouldn't hide under my bed, and I can keep an eye on him in case he decides to try and use my cats litterbox. Everyone did great. Some hissing, which is to be expected, but for the most part, very peaceful. He's learning how to be a housecat!!

Have I mentioned that HE'S NOT STAYING?????

momcat
01-19-2012, 08:26 AM
I don't kow, Donna. Looks to me that he has moved right in. What a sweet little cutie! I love this most recent picture, he looks so relaxed and comfortable..... like he thinks he owns the place. But he's NOT STAYING - NOT STAYING- NOT STAYING- NOT STAYING

Randi
01-19-2012, 09:17 AM
He's such a cute boy and you've done a great job socializing him - well done! :) He seems so content and feeling at home, but of course "HE IS NOT STAYING!!!!!!!" ... or is he?? I bet you'd have a hard letting him go! :p

catmandu
01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
What a Great Looking Cat , he looks quite a bit like my Malcom Spunky Scratchy Moose!!:love:
What a shame that he will soon be on his way.
But you certainly will remember your guest Cat and he will remember You:love:

smokey the elder
01-19-2012, 10:41 AM
What a cutie! I love the little black spot on his nose!

moosmom
01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
He was out and about for 3 hours today and is totally wiped out. He's peacefully napping in his crate. I absolutely CANNOT have 9 cats in a two room studio apartment!!!

His crate is up on a dresser next to my bed. He LOVES tossing litter outside the box. What a mess!!! At one point, I had to put the sheet over my head (half asleep of course) to prevent from being coated with it.

He's a great little cat. Still hissy but he's gonna make someone a great housecat!!!

I wanted to name him either Stache or Groucho (because of the black splotch on his nose), but Groucho is taken, and HE'S NOT STAYING so, I have to keep with the name they gave him...Puff-Puff :rolleyes:::rolleyes:

cassiesmom
01-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Moosmom, how is your handsome house guest doing today?

moosmom
01-23-2012, 05:32 AM
He's doing GREAT!!!! He's shy, but that's expected. NOTHING like when I first started socializing him. He actually climbs up on my shoulder when I open the crate door.

He just had his last does of Albon and will be "coming out" later today. Crate comes down and he's among MY crew. He should be posted up on Petfinder.com in the next week or so under Mary's Kitty Korner.

I absolutely love this little guy, but know he will get a wonderful, furrever home. My next step is bringing his sister to my house for more one-on-one. She's a tough nut to crack. So far I've been working with them for 4 months. It's been a long haul, but SO worth it!!!

Another reason why I do what I do.

Next!!!!

phesina
01-23-2012, 09:08 AM
He's ADORABLE!!!!!

moosmom
01-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Well, he's officially out of the crate!!! I've left the crate door open so he can go in and out at his leisure. It still has dry kitty food, water and a fresh litterbox. Last night everyone did great!! I got up to pee and caught him sleeping at the foot of my bed!!

I'd say he's coming along WONDERFULLY!!!!! This morning they all ate together.

momcat
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Well, he's officially out of the crate!!! I've left the crate door open so he can go in and out at his leisure. It still has dry kitty food, water and a fresh litterbox. Last night everyone did great!! I got up to pee and caught him sleeping at the foot of my bed!!

I'd say he's coming along WONDERFULLY!!!!! This morning they all ate together.

But he's not staying?

cassiesmom
01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
What a cutie! I love the little black spot on his nose!

Okay, I'll say it: I hope he ends up staying!!

moosmom
01-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot...

HE'S NOT STAYING!!!!

I took a ride to Nancy's tonight to look in on his sister Lucy. Nancy seems to think she's depressed. I agree. She hasn't been eating her baby food (turkey and chicken) which she usually loves!!! When I took her out, she clung to me, nuzzling my neck. I've neglected her, since I haven't been over there in two weeks to socialize her. I feel SOOOOO bad.

So...here's the plan. We should get the poop sample results back on Tuesday. If she gets a clean bill of health, she'll come to my house and be in the crate so I can handle her one on one. Her brother, will be amongst my cats until I feel it'll be okay to send him back to Nancy's to be among her cats. He's already on Petfinder.com under Mary's Kitty Korner. Then I can do the same thing with Lucy that I did with her brother. I just hope she'll come around.

And she's DEFINITELY NOT STAYING!!!

moosmom
01-27-2012, 09:33 AM
*head hung low in shame*

Okaaaaaaay, change of plans here. And absolutely no "I told ya so's"

I talked with Nancy this morning about the Puffman. Last night, I put him in bed with me and he curled up on my belly and went to sleep. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I broke down and told her I am in love with this boy, having bonded with him over 4 months. I KNOW, I KNOW what I said.

She offered to take one of my cats, if the "count" is a problem. She asked me which one I'd be willing to give up, with the understanding that she will make every effort to place them. I suggested Lucy Lu. Right now, I'm giving it serious thought.

Let the I TOLD YA SO'S begin!!!!:(:p:rolleyes:

Catty1
01-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Won't do that, no TYS's from me. :D

moosmom
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Let's just say I'm seriously considering it.

But when I go into my bedroom and look at LuLu on her back looking up at me with those beautiful BIG golden eyes, how can I POSSIBLY rehome her???

She seems to be bonded with Maya Linn. Whenever Maya Linn goes to eat, she's right next to her, eating with her. She follows her all over my apartment. I just don't know.:confused::confused:

cassiesmom
01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Now you are nine :-)

katladyd
01-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I would NEVER say "I told you so", I will just say "I understand". You have 8 little hearts that love you so. What's one more?:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::lo ve::love:

cassiesmom
01-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Dear Auntie Moosmom-- if there is anything we can do to help you so Puff kitty can stay, please say the word and we'll do our best.

:love: Purrs, head bumpies and lovies,
Cassie Cat and Elyse

moosmom
01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
When I got home tonight, I called Puff Puff's name out and he came running to me!!!!

He is definitely NOT making it easy!!!

krazyaboutkatz
01-28-2012, 06:35 PM
When I got home tonight, I called Puff Puff's name out and he came running to me!!!!

He is definitely NOT making it easy!!!

This is why I could never foster because I know that I'd get too bonded. Good luck.:)

ramanth
01-29-2012, 09:43 PM
He's so cute!

You sure he's not staying? ;)

moosmom
01-30-2012, 05:54 AM
Kimmy,

NOPE! He's not staying. I have found it very difficult not to become attached to this little guy. But after giving it a lot of thought, I've decided that he has a MUCH better chance of finding a home than LuLu would, seeing as she's 3 years old.

I went to Nancy's last night to schmooze with his sister. I got totally frustrated when I reached into her cage and she nipped me (after all this time????) and was combative. Once I put her in my arms, she settled down and purred. I just started to cry from frustration. She has become a real challenge. I have NEVER been able to NOT turn a feral cat around.

I've been having reservations about bringing her to my house, as she'll have to be in a crate for a while till she gets used to my cats and all the scents. My place is SO small (two room studio) and if she comes here (it'll give me a better chance for one-on-one with her) that'll bring my cat population (temporarily) up to 10!!!!

moosmom
02-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Well, Puff's sister Lucy has now taken up residence in the crate. She's doing MUCH better (thanks in part to Feliway!!) She's very calm, a little hissy but nowhere near what she was.

Puff goes in for his "Big Lebowski" on Feb. 10th and then he'll be up at PetSmart for adoption.

I'll post pictures soon.

cassiesmom
02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Well, Puff's sister Lucy has now taken up residence in the crate. She's doing MUCH better (thanks in part to Feliway!!) She's very calm, a little hissy but nowhere near what she was.

Puff goes in for his "Big Lebowski" on Feb. 10th and then he'll be up at PetSmart for adoption.

I'll post pictures soon.

I'm glad Lucy is doing much better! I'm sorry Puff Kitty can't stay with you, but I hope he will go to a wonderful forever home. I can't look at the PetSmart kitties when I go there, because I always want to bring them all home with me!

moosmom
02-01-2012, 05:37 PM
We had a little drama today.

I was taking Puff out of his crate (after he finished eating undisturbed) when his leg got caught in one of the bars!!:(:eek:

I felt SOOOO bad! He screamed and then proceeded to bite me twice (totally not his fault) in the hand and hide under the bed. He got me real good and I soaked it in Hydrogen Peroxide (it's a staple in my house). :(:( He finally came out on his own and was not limping, which I was relieved at. My hand is killing me right now. But he forgave me and sat in my lap purring for over a half hour. I thought for SURE I had taken a giant leap backwards.

We'll see how he reacts next week when he misses his "man marbles".:p

sallyandsnowx
02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
With those looks and that personality, he'll get a home in a heartbeat. Good luck to him with the adoption! & good luck to you with Lucy! Hope she is doing good as well. :love:

cassiesmom
02-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Moosmom, how are the guests doing?

UtchieB and Lucy, copied from UtchieB's Cat of the Day thread :love:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=52617&stc=1&d=1329225167

I hope they end up going to a forever home together. I wish I could adopt them, but with Cassie and with my association rules, that's not an option.

Hugs to ALL the kitties at UtchieB's house!!

Freedom
02-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Kimmy,

She has become a real challenge. I have NEVER been able to NOT turn a feral cat around.

Oh Donna, please don't forget Mandy - she never came around either!

moosmom
02-17-2012, 04:19 AM
Sandie,

I will NEVER forget Mandy!!! So she never did come around, huh? Lucy can stay as long as it takes. I'm dying to take the cage down, as it's very inconvenient size wise in my tiny apt.

I've committed to this and will not give up on her.

Got up at 4:15 this morning to corral him into a carrier. He's now sitting in the dark waiting his trip to the white coats for his MANLY operation.

Freedom
02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Good luck, Puff - puff.

He looks so much like my RB Dazzle! Dazzle had rings on his tail though, which made him quite unusual - spots on the body, rings on the tail ha haaa.

Taz_Zoee
02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Donna, I think you are amazing for what you do for these cats. You turn your own life upside-down!
If I lived alone, I'd probably have a house full of critters too. :D But with the boyfriend working from home that is not an option.

I will keep Puff in my thoughts today for his surgery. :)

katladyd
02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
You hae my respect, Donna. I live in a one-bedroom apartment and it is crowded with my three cats and my bunny. I can't imagine having a clowder in here, but if it was allowed I'd probably do it. I have more than the legal number now, but my apartment manager is a cat lady herself and she is cool about it.:cool:

moosmom
02-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

I love working with ferals. The very first feral I worked with was Marina Mar, a beautiful Turkish Angora mix who wound up winning ribbons in a cat show in Household Pet.

Puff is going to do very well as a housecat. He loves other cats and is really beginning to enjoy the affection, although he does on occasion hiss. I haven't given up on his sister yet. She swats at me from inside her cage, but I don't back down. I keep my hand near and on her to let her know I'm not going to hurt her. I'm sure eventually she'll get it.

cassiesmom
02-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Uh oh, I thought Puff kitty had "that" sir jury already. I was wrong! Fingers and paws crossed for Puff! It's 1:20 PM now so you may know something in a few hours. I'll check back for an update later.

carole
02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
It takes a very special person to do what you are doing Donna, but i know you are that person, they are two very lucky kitties, if only they could realise that, you are doing an awesome job, and i imagine there is much frustration,tears,but in the end joy and happiness at what you have achieved, i take my hat off to you girlfriend, you are AMAZING, wishing you all the best with both kitties, and bless you for what you do.:love::love::)

moosmom
02-17-2012, 03:33 PM
P-Diddy is home!!! He's staggering a little, but ate like a pig and is doing great. I refused to allow him to be adopted before he was neutered. I don't trust people anymore when it comes to that.

sallyandsnowx
02-18-2012, 02:47 PM
This is such a wonderful thing you are doing. I'm sure the kitties are thanking you just as much. :) Good thinking about not letting Puff getting adopted before he is neutered. Some people cannot be trusted with that responsibility. It'll just add more stray and shelter cats unfortunately.

cassiesmom
02-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Moosmom, are the guest kitties still at your house? How are they doing? Could you please give all the kitties under your roof a pet or two from me :)

moosmom
02-22-2012, 06:21 AM
They're both doing great. Puff is neutered and no worse for wear. He's such a great cat!!! Little Miss Crabby @$$ on the other hand is still in a crate.

I consulted with a fellow rescuer who also works with ferals. Hercy told me she's probably been in the crate far too long, is depressed and her self esteem is low. Cats have the same kind of emotions that people do. I totally agree with her. She said that there are some ferals that just don't come around (like Freedom said). She told me that cats LIVE for food and I should use it as a motivator. Everytime I go into her crate, for whatever reason, be it scooping the box, changing water, etc., to give her a treat, deli meat, boiled chicken (which I used last night). Last night I went through a half a bag of kitten treats which she devoured. There was no hissing or swatting. So I think she may have something here!!!

She told me to give her another week or two and then let her out with my other cats and let her come out on her own terms. While I also agree, I know that once she's free in my place, I'll never be able to work with her one-on-one. My friend Nancy offered to let her run with her cats. I just can't be strapped with two more cats in my small place nor can I afford it.

If she was like Puff, I'd have no problem letting her out, because he will climb on my shoulder to be picked up if I crouch down next to him to pet him. I'm just so torn as to what to do.

Welcome to Ploss's Halfway House for Homeless Cats!!!!

katladyd
02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Maybe your friend could take her in. I bet she would be happier in a place with less cats. If your friend has as many as you, it still might be a good idea. I think that given the size of your place, Puffy is about all you can handle.

cassiesmom
02-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Puff will climb on my shoulder to be picked up if I crouch down next to him to pet him.

Okay, I'll say it: I hope he goes from temporary guest to permanent resident :love: But I agree with katladyd about Lucy, maybe a different setting for her.

moosmom
02-24-2012, 05:45 AM
I got an email last night from a couple who are looking for a companion for their 9 month old kitten!! A rescue organization down in Norwalk did the background check and according to them, it's a perfect home!!!

I am SOOOOO happy!!! Norwalk is a little far for me to travel. But if it means a furrever home for this little guy, then I'll make the trek to do a home visit. You didn't think I was just going to just let him go, did you???

What that means is, Lucy will now be able to come out of her crate and learn how to be a housecat like her brother did!!!

I am ECSTATIC!!!! I'll keep you posted!:D:D

phesina
02-24-2012, 09:12 AM
What wonderful news! I hope this works out as well as it sounds it will.. P-Diddy gets his Purrfect Furrever Home, and Lucy becomes a lovely housecat!

carole
02-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Oh Donna i am so very happy to read this news, awesome, you are such a great person,bless you for all you do for those precious furbabies.:):love::love:

Karen
02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Sounds great, Donna! And he'll have a brother to keep him busy and everything!

moosmom
02-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Lucy has been out of her crate since Saturday and is doing GREAT!!!! She's learning to be a wonderful house cat and is not as skittish and cranky as she was when the crate was up.

It's evident by the change in her personality that she was depressed in that cage. She and her brother were sleeping on the foot of my bed last night AND...I approached her while she was laying on my bed and she let me pet her!!! It's going to take a while, but I now know that she's out and taking lessons from her "bro" that she'll come around, slowly but surely!!!

The home for P-Diddy fell through, as I figured it would. But that's okay, things happen for a reason.

THEY'RE NOT STAYING!!!!!!!!!!!

cassiesmom
02-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Oh, Moosmom! They look wonderful! You're a miracle worker :D *kisses* for Puff and Lucy and *kisses* for All of Moosmom's Kitties!

mrspunkysmom
02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Moos Mom, they are beautiful. Yes, things happen for a reason. That's how Bella found her forever home!

Keep the Faith. Now that Lucy is warming up to things, perhaps they'll both be adoptable together.

I kept Bob because he didn't do well with enclosures. I had to let him out of the pen.

I am hoping that your temporaries find excellent permanent quarters.

momcat
02-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Oh Donna, they are way beyond BEAUTIFUL! That's wonderful news about Lucy, sounds like she's well on her way to becoming someone's loving and loyal companion. You've proven beyond all doubt what patience and love can do!

Sending tons of lovies to all of your resident fuzzbutts :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

moosmom
02-29-2012, 05:29 AM
I was really beginning to lose hope with Lucy. But the minute I let her out of the crate, she blossomed! She's letting me pet her more and more. It's SO much easier to care for them now that there's no crate. She eats with everyone else, already knows where the litterboxes are and loves the laser light toy.

So, I guess they'll be here till they get adopted. All my rules regarding cats in the "double" digits just flew out the window.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

mrspunkysmom
03-01-2012, 09:22 AM
I was really beginning to lose hope with Lucy. But the minute I let her out of the crate, she blossomed! She's letting me pet her more and more. It's SO much easier to care for them now that there's no crate. She eats with everyone else, already knows where the litterboxes are and loves the laser light toy.

So, I guess they'll be here till they get adopted. All my rules regarding cats in the "double" digits just flew out the window.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cages: that's why Bob nor Bella could go on display at a Pet Supply Store. Neither handled cages well. Bob refused to eat even in the pen. So out he came.

Good luck and happy she is doing so well.

cassiesmom
03-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Yay, I am so glad Lucy is doing better! Maybe she and Puff can go to the same forever home. Hugs, kisses, lovies for all the kitties at the Halfway House for Homeless Cats!

moosmom
03-01-2012, 04:30 PM
IDEALLY, they should go together. We're putting the picture of them together on Petfinder.com. under Mary's Kitty Korner.