PDA

View Full Version : Dead Teen Sued for Losing Control of Flying Body Parts

Catty1
01-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Just when you thought lawsuits could not get any stupider, let alone downright cruel and insensitive...:mad:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/epic-fail-fail-nation-probably-bad-news-these-frivolous-lawsuits-are-tearing-me-apart.png

via thestir.cafemom.com

Karen
01-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Well, it was his choice to try to run across the tracks in the face of an oncoming train ... and yes, he paid for his stupidity with his life, but also changed that innocent bystander's life ...

I am not sure what the point of the lawsuit really is, as a teenager, he probably didn't have much money, but it does raise questions of responsibility. This was no "act of God" like a lightning strike or a tornado - her injuries are the direct result of his poor choice.

Cataholic
01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Why should HER injuries be disregarded? If the body part had shoved a child into the track of an oncoming train, and killed the child, would anyone wonder if the injuries were real or sufficient?

Sure, it is sad that the teen lost his life. Very sad. But, that doesn't really stop the rest of the world from hurting. What if the woman's injuries cost her her job (which is a real possibility here in the US)? She looses her house and her car??

pomtzu
01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Something isn't right with this story. What is a train doing going 70 mph past a passenger platform anyway? That just doesn't happen, regardless of whether the train is scheduled to stop there or not. If it was going 70, then this woman should be suing Amtrak and raking in a very big settlement, because Amtrak would be at fault in this case. My ex was with Amtrak Police for 20 years, and you wouldn't believe some of the things people sue Amtrak for - and win!!! The stories he used to bring home were almost unbelievable - not to mention the photos he had to take at accident sites. :eek:

Catty1
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Legally there may be grounds...but I can't begin to imagine how his family and friends feel. Perhaps they can sue Amtrak.

Cataholic
01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.state.il.us/court/OPINIONS/AppellateCourt/2011/1stDistrict/December/1102672.pdf

Very interesting analysis.

What about how the woman feels? Should she just suck it up? What if she had no medical insurance? What if she has $10,000.00 (or even $2500!) in medical bills? Should she just absorb those?

Catty- I don't get why you would think the trains would be responsible for what this teen did, but not the teen, himself???

caseysmom
01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Well I don't see this any different than if say he were driving a car recklessly and died and in the process injured others.

Edwina's Secretary
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
I lived a couple blocks from this train station and rode frequently. My niece looks out her apartment window over this station.

Sue Amtrak??? (By ther way...it isn't Amtrak. It is local urban transportation.) Why?? Because they have "deep pockets"??

Why should I....the traveling public pay higher train fare because someone didn't want to be bothered to realize that you don't win against a train?

I am sorry for his family...and I am sorry for the woman who was injured by his flying body parts...and I am sorry for everyone who has to read about this.

But I am not responsible and should not have to pay.

Lady's Human
01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
There's a Bloom County strip that's incredibly apropos for this discussion, I really wish I could find it online so I could post it.

Asiel
01-11-2012, 08:53 PM
While thinking of suing might sound a bit heartless I have to say that the teen made that choice when he took the risk of playing a racing game with a train. I do feel very sorry for the lady who got hurt, and I'm sure this will probably affect her mentally as well for a while - having body parts flying at you is not the most pleasant thing to have happen to one.

RICHARD
01-30-2012, 04:02 AM
This story reminded me of an article I read about homicide bombers in the Middle East.

There was an Israeli soldier that was on duty when some jackhole blew himself up in the area.

Part if the idiot's skeleton hit the soldier and he spoke to the writer about how he had to be tested for HIV/AIDS for years
because of that threat to his health.

----------------------------------

Nothing suprises me anymore.

I want to sue all of you because I opened this thread.:mad:;)

My lawyer will contact you soon.

Lady's Human
01-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Richard, you're missing rule one of lawsuits:

Never sue poor people. :p

pomtzu
01-30-2012, 08:48 AM

That's the pits, isn't it??? The court can award you big bucks, but you can't get blood out of a turnip!

RICHARD
01-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Richard, you're missing rule one of lawsuits:

Boom,

You are now the object of a class action lawsuit for calling PT members poor.

We are all richer for having pets.:o