PDA

View Full Version : update on Ellie-mae

carole
01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Gosh it seems i am forever writing about my girls ups and downs and believe me as you all know there have been many.

We had both Nikkita and Ellie-mae vaccinated on Saturday just gone, and then on sunday low and behold my sweet girl Ellie gets chronic, diarrhoea,poor wee girl, everything just went straight through her.
Today i can report there is a slight improvement, i was just about to whip her off to the vets, but she is eating much better and only one bout so far, if there are much more i will still have to take her, i rang the vet nurse, who said it can be a common side effect of the vaccine.
They had the Nobivac Tricat Trio.
Actually that is NOT what the internet say's. it is only in rare cases it can cause these side effects, i expect it might have to do with her liver problem compromising things maybe.,pure guess work on my part though.

Has anyone else experienced that? of course we have Ellie's underlying health condition her tumour to worry about, i am hoping it is just the vaccine and she will be back to normal soon,keeping a very close eye on her.

All those wonderful prayers and good thoughts will go a long way , yet again my dear Ellie is battling with her health, she is just a strong willed little thing, bless her, she is a fighter alright.

Thanks for listening

Karen
01-11-2012, 12:02 AM
She'll be in our prayers.

krazyaboutkatz
01-11-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear that she had a bad reaction to the vaccine.:( None of my cats have ever had this reaction but Sky has actually gotten sick from it with side effects similar to an URI.:( I did have Alani & Blaze fully vaccinated with all of their kitten shots and when they turned 1 year old they also got an adult shot. Now I don't vaccinate any of my cats any more. They're all indoor only and don't go any where except to the vets once a year for their annual exams.

I'm very surpirsed that your vet even vaccinated Ellie-mae since she's so ill and on medication.:( Being on pred will compromise a cats immune system too. My vet doesn't like to over vaccinate animals and she even told me that once a cat is 10 or older that I shouldn't vaccinate them. If I did still vaccinate it would only be every 3 years but they don't recommend the 3 year rabies shots. The rabies would need to be done yearly. The city that I live in doesn't require cats to even have a rabies shot so I won't give them any more of these either. I hope that Ellie-mae recovers quickly and that you won't need to take her to your vet. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

carole
01-11-2012, 02:59 AM
I understand what you are saying, but I should clarify, because Ellie is a cat flu carrier, she really has to have it, as getting the flu would indeed kill her, a catch 22, not really great for her to have it either, but then if she doesn't the risk is just too high, i am not even sure this is a reaction to the vaccine, it could be more sinister, and be because of her illness, i am just hoping it is NOT the latter.

Don't worry i have an EXCELLENT vet, i trust him completely with Ellie's care, he really likes Ellie too and would never recommend anything he thought would harm her, he performed her surgery's, so there is a little bond between them, this is the vet who kisses my Ellie, so he really genuinely cares about her.

Also 99 per cent of cats in NZ are indoor/outdoor kitties, just the way it is here.

I had thought things were much better today, her appetite was pretty good ,but she still had three bouts of the runs, like morning, lunch and just now,so i will ring tomorrow and hopefully get an appointment,it is awfully stressful for her going, but i think it is time, things are not improving enough for my liking,please pray my little girl will be ok .

Thank you for your concern, and prayers,always appreciated.:love:

phesina
01-11-2012, 05:46 AM
More prayers for sweet little Ellie-mae; may this just be a reaction to the vaccine, and may you be back to normal shortly.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

ChrisH
01-11-2012, 06:43 AM
More prayers on the way for sweet Ellie-mae and {{hugs}} for you.

moosmom
01-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Oh Carole,

I'm so sorry Ellie-Mae isn't feeling well after the vaccine. I don't believe in over vaccinating my cats, as most of them are seniors and they do not go outside. I know it's a state law, but I don't see the vaccine police knocking on my door anytime soon to see my my vet records.

Try giving Ellie Mae some boiled chicken, or cooked rice in her food. That helps with diarrhea.

Love, hugs and kisses to you and Ellie-Mae

xoxoxoxo

kaycountrygal
01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm sorry your Ellie Mae is having problems. It is always stressful when our beloved pets arent doing good. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

katladyd
01-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Ellie-mae is in my prayers once again. PT prayers have pulled her through before, so I hope they work again and for a long, long, time to come.:love:

carole
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Things are NOT good, i am so worried, i cannot get my vet today, he is away, back tomorrow, i have booked in with him, but i am so upset as i don't know what to do, no runs today, but she is not eating, well she ate a small morsel of food after her steroid, but she does not look good, i feel it might be the end for Ellie, please pray it is NOT, i cannot bear to loose her yet,i don' know whether it is pure coincidence she got unwell after the vaccine, it could just be this was going to happen anyhow, i am thinking maybe i should just take her today, but it is a vet i don't even know, a locum who does not know a damn thing about ellie,god this is so hard to know what to do, i am in such turmoil,if only she could tell me.

Hubby and I have different opinions, i think we should take her today, he thinks we should wait and see our vet, but will Ellie just suffer in the mean time,maybe she needs to be on a drip, maybe she is dehydrated, i don't know what to do, i have not seen her drink, gave her some via syringe which she hated.will they stop eating if dehydrated,any advice is so appreciated and needed right now, thanks.

OK UPDATE since writing this, Ellie my sweet girl she ate and she is looking a bit better, more bright eyed,just see how the toilet business goes today, i will still keep vet appt for tomorrow to be on the safe side, you guys must be secretly praying for my girl lol, she is a fighter, just when i think it is all over , she comes back to us, I LOVE THAT WEE GIRL WITH ALL MY HEART.

phesina
01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Prayers for Ellie-mae and you too, Carole, and all your family.

Love from Pat and cats :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Medusa
01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Wow, what a roller coaster ride, eh, Carole? I don't vaccinate my cats any more either b/c they're all indoor cats and they're getting up in years now. However, I can recall Puddy getting sick from the last vaccine she received. she didn't get diarrhea but she wouldn't eat for 3 days. She just stayed under the bed. From then on I decided no more vaccines. I do hope Ellie-mae has a good long run of good health yet. Keep the faythe. :)

carole
01-11-2012, 06:29 PM
thanks Pat and Mary, yes well if indoor i could see no reason, but mine are indoor/outdoor, so is for the best,i doubt whether Ellie will still be with us next year, but who knows, that girl gives me some scares, maybe i panic a little ,but i know my girl, and i know when she is not good, she is lying peacefully now sleeping,on the verandah, she rarely leaves there or inside or the cat shelter these days, she ate a little more food too.

I am still taking her to see my vet and get her checked out,who knows what tomorrow shall bring, so far no bad toilet, so i am hoping it has come to an end, be quite normal for her not to go for a day or two now after all that i would think.

I am feeling a bit happier and more positive,but i know we are not out of the woods yet with her, fingers and all paws crossed Ellie improves as the day and evening progress and tomorrow brings us much more happier news for me to report, thanks for listening and the advice and just being there for me,no-one and i mean no-one really understands how i feel about my furbabies except my PT friends from afar, bless you all for that.

phesina
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm glad you and she will be seeing the vet who knows you both so well tomorrow. More prayers and warm healing energies are on the way to you.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

moosmom
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
You're in my thoughts and prayers, Carole. Let's hope the vet will have good news. I'm just glad she's eating and drinking.

The way to find out if she IS dehydrated is to gently pinch the scruff of her neck. If the skin goes back down, she's fine. If it stays up, she's dehydrated.

Love you girl!!!

mrspunkysmom
01-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Prayers and Pawsitive thoughts headed your way.

carole
01-12-2012, 12:14 AM
well it has been a tough day, she has been up and down really, i rang to see if i could get an earlier appt, no such luck, but am top priority if anyone cancels, the receptionist/nurse in the afternoons,we know quite well and she is the most lovely person ever, so sympathetic and understanding.she talked to me and suggested if i was worried about dehydration to bring her in tonight or first thing and my vet will check her out and do what is necessary,as i was thinking she was not doing so good.

However she picked up a little, and i did the scruff of the neck thing Donna, it was not too bad, maybe not as quick returning as when i practised it on Nikki, but it was not that bad, and she did do a pee this afternoon,none of the other, which is probably a good thing, she ate a wee bit more, but is not fussed on much really, and i know my girl is not good, prayers for tomorrow afternoon, another sleepless night ahead.

Thanks everyone your support always means so much to me,i know you have all been there at one time or another, so understand where i am coming from,it is so re-assuring to have friends who really understand.

Fingers and all paws crossed my wee girl will come home again with me and perk up after my vet has seen her, i just did not want a stranger looking at her, who really has only some computed write ups to go on,it has to be my vet, i hope i have made the right choice., i only want the best for my Ellie and he is the best.

I feel this is probably more to do with her liver problem, than the vaccine, but could be a combination of both, i hope they can do something to help her.

carole
01-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I have just returned from my vet, it is with a heavy heart i tell you that things are not good, it does not appear to be the vaccine, more the tumour, i had noticed she was breathing more heavy , and it probably has spread to her lungs, he asked if i wanted to let her go today or give her a wee bit longer, i chose the latter, because Ellie is doing a little better, had he asked me yesterday i would have said yes, my main concern is pain, i asked whether i could up her dose of steroids, he said yes a good idea.

If she stops eating , then it will be her time, i have already been bawling my eyes out just at the thought of it all, i knew it would come sooner than later, but i am still not ready to loose this precious one, she means so much to me, not giving up on her, she is a fighter and who knows , she may just prove all the vets wrong yet, i know wishful thinking on my part, but it is all i have to hold on to just now.

katladyd
01-12-2012, 11:31 PM
I will keep praying for both you and Ellie-mae.:love:

Catty1
01-13-2012, 12:19 AM
More prayers for Ellie-Mae and many, many hugs for you.:love::love::love:

I am so sorry to hear this. :( I wish you some more good time with her.:love:

krazyaboutkatz
01-13-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this latest news.:( I hope that she'll be able to remain comfortable and you'll be able to have some good quality time together. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

phesina
01-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Oh Carole, I am so sorry. Prayers for Ellie-mae and for you too. Big hugs and lots of love are being sent to you. May you and she have some more good quality loving time together.

All our love :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

moosmom
01-13-2012, 07:42 AM
I am so, SO sorry about Ellie-mae. Please PMme with your phone number. I can call you and it costs me nothing, if you feel like talking or need a shoulder.

Sweet Ellie Mae has been in my thoughts to St. Francis every single night. She's home, warm and so loved. That's what counts.

Love you, girl!

:love::love::love:xoxoxoxoxox

Donna and fur crew

maerlyn
01-13-2012, 09:23 AM
I have just caught up with this thread and have tears for the pain I know you are suffering. Through my tears, I have just said a prayer for Ellie Mae and for you; may Ellie Mae's Creator pour out His mercy and compassion to you both.:love:

mrspunkysmom
01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Plenty of hug headed your way. Lots of prayers for Ellie-Mae.

ChrisH
01-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Sad to read the news in your latest update Carole. Prayers & positive thoughts going out that Ellie-mae will rally and be with you at least a little longer. {{hugs}}

Randi
01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Carole, it breaks my heart you're going through this. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts to your sweet Ellie-Mae, and to you. I so hope she will perk up and you can have some more time together.

Big (((hugs))) :love: :love:

Killearn Kitties
01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Sending love to you and Ellie-mae tonight, Carole. I am sure you will make the right decisions at the right time. :love: I also hope that Ellie-mae rallies for a while.

cassiesmom
01-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh Carole, I am so sorry. Prayers for Ellie-mae and for you too. Big hugs and lots of love are being sent to you. May you and she have some more good quality loving time together.

All our love :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat and cats

Agree one thousand percent,
Elyse :love:

kaycountrygal
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Carole, I am so sorry about Ellie-Mae's condition. I dont know what to say to help you feel better. It's so sad when time comes to let our friends go. Prayers for you and for Ellie-Mae that she will have some better days ahead. ((Hugs))

Cataholic
01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
I am so very sorry that the news isn't better. Enjoy your time with her, no matter its length.

carole
01-15-2012, 05:17 PM
yes i am pretty heartbroken, even though i knew her time here was limited, you just still are not as prepared as you think, she is such a special cat, believe me we all have one in our life times and she is it.

The dble dose of steroids is keeping her appetite up thank goodness, she is very fussy though, i think i have about ten different cans of food open in the fridge,will end up throwing them out, as my other two on prescription diet from the vets, shame some starving kitty is not around i can give it to, and she has turned her nose up at all of them, her chicken,fillet steak and prime mince treats, she is not interested in,and i got some snapper yesterday, was not keen on that, in fact she is just eating whiskas chicken and salmon, and seems to prefer that, so that is what she is getting.

She ate well this morning and is resting as you will see, i have posted a pic of my wee girl, with her new heart shaped pillow, it has I LOVE YOU on the other side..,picked it up at the 2 dollar and more shop yesterday.

Her breathing is somewhat laboured and there is a wee cough ,but just now and then, certainly not too major at the moment, gosh part of me is still hoping this is a reaction to the vaccine, despite my vets confirmation,who i trust completely, Ellie is a battler and she won't give up easily, and neither will her mama.

She no longer has diarrhea, thank goodness for both of us ,but especially her, all normal again, and i am thinking since it is a cat flu injection, could it give her some respiratory problems, i know it is wishful thinking on my part, but i can only but hope, i guess it probably is advanced cancer to her lungs, and her time with me is limited, but fingers and all paws crossed , i would LOVE her to prove them wrong.

Poor babies weight has dropped , now only 2.9 kgs,she was 3.1 before this awful episode,and used to be a healthy 4.3kg , which is what she was before the illness and in the pic in my siggy.

I hope we can at least maintain this, and not see her go down further, vet assures me when she gives up eating all together, it will be her time, so eating is of the utmost importance right now for her, and for me to make sure she does eat,lots of coaching, loving words, stroking and ellie responds to it rather well,takes time and patience, which i have got, well at least number one, patience i have to work on , but for Ellie, i can do anything i have to.

Anyhow for now she is somewhat stable and i know it could change at any time, but i will just cherish my special time with her and continue to love her to bits and tend to her every need as i have always done before and during her illness.