PDA

View Full Version : Housebreaking

KForrest
11-13-2002, 09:22 AM
Hi,

I have a question about housebreaking. We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who is almost 3 months. I believe he was only paper trained by the breeder so we've been trying to housebreak him. We've been crating him at night and during the day when we're at work. He usually wakes up twice during the night..once around 2:30-3 am and again around 4:30-5am (2 hours between outings). At 3 months, should he be able to hold it through the night? He usually has to go if we take him outside but that isn't always the case.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Kari

http://www.geocities.com/kl_forrest/dog1.jpg

Dixieland Dancer
11-13-2002, 11:21 AM
Once a night is ok at this age but twice and only a hour 1/2 apart seems like pup is telling you enough of this night time thing. It's time to get up. I would ignore his second request to get up until at least 6:30 or 7:00 am. You can limit his fluid intake at night to ensure he is really not filled with fluids.

KForrest
11-13-2002, 11:46 AM
It's about 2 to 2 1/2 hours between outings. We feed him at about 5:30-6 at night and take the water away at 7. He usually has to go between 2-3 times after 7 for either #1 or #2.

The other thing he did today which infuriated me was he ate breakfast and lunch at the normal times. I took him out thinking that he would absolutely have to go since some of the normal signs were there that he needed to do #2. I wasted the majority of my lunch hour waiting for him to go. It ended up that he didn't so I had to crate him. I thought at this age that they could only go 4 hours before they had to go. Breakfast was before 8 and lunch was a little after 12. Help!!!!

Kari