PDA

View Full Version : Fire decimates animal sanctuary

Catty1
01-07-2012, 10:46 AM
:(

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120106/CGY_nanton_fire_120106/20120106/?hub=CalgaryHome

Updated: Fri Jan. 06 2012 17:14:41

ctvcalgary.ca

The owner of a Nanton animal sanctuary is homeless and inconsolable after the loss of every one of her foster animals in a fire on Wednesday.

Heather Hazen has spent her life rescuing cats and was crushed when fire claimed the lives of dozens of her feline friends.

"Who do you save, right, who do you grab, who do you take, so the only thing we could do is break windows and pray they got out," said Hazen.

Hazen was home with her grandson when she says she saw electricity shoot through eight power poles and head toward her home.

Officials in Nanton say it is too soon to say what caused the fire and say it may be a month before they know exactly what happened.

Hazen's home was destroyed and may be where the flames ignited.

"I turned off the electrical box and it came back on and a big bolt of flames came out," said Hazen.

Another family lost two horses in the fires that swept through southern Alberta.

The Legault's say that a thrid horse, that was caught up in the fire, is going to be okay

"I was glad she was okay. I knew that I lost a little filly that I just got about a month ago, and my brother's horse was lost, so it was a happy, sad day," said Chantelle Legault.

There is no cost estimate yet on damages from several fires that burned in southern Alberta on Wednesday.

phesina
01-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Oh, I am so sorry to read this. How heartbreaking.