PDA

View Full Version : TV Show - I Cloned My Pet -- UPDATE

happylabs
01-06-2012, 02:21 PM
On January 11th @ 9:00 p.m. TLC channel will be airing a show called "I Cloned My Pet".

I don't really know how I feel about the cloning thing but I am going to watch just because I am intrigued.

What do you think?

Karen
01-06-2012, 04:06 PM
I will watch, out of curiosity more than anything. Thank goodness for the DVR - I'll go set it to record now!

Asiel
01-06-2012, 08:05 PM
We don't get it here but I have seen cloned sheep and calves before on some science show. I would never want that for any of my dogs or any pets I had.

TamanduaGirl
01-06-2012, 11:13 PM
That was in the beginning. The results and health are much better now. I've seen cloned cows at fairs and they are fine.

It's not an exact copy though it's more like getting an offspring of your pet or a younger sibling. They don't even have the exact same markings.

Asiel
01-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Not really an issue of health or anything for me - I just feel each of my dogs were unique in their own way and I prefer remembering them that way.

pomtzu
01-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Not really an issue of health or anything for me - I just feel each of my dogs were unique in their own way and I prefer remembering them that way.

Agreed!! Cloning a pet is morbid - IMO. :(

IRescue452
01-07-2012, 04:20 PM
You just get the body, not the personality. At some point it would eventually dawn on you that your pet is dead. Maybe the clone doesn't turn out to have the same personality no matter what you try and then it finally hits you. You can't run away from loss and grieving forever.

Karen
01-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I have it set to record, I didn't realize it is a series. It should be interesting, in any case. I would never have it done myself, as I know there are pets out there needing homes, and each one has its own personality that I could learn to love.

TamanduaGirl
01-07-2012, 07:56 PM
I'd do it for Pua or Stewie if I was rich enough and it were feasible. Would be cool to see if Stewie's genes would have turned out blond like Pua as I suspect. And Pua has been reluctant to breed when we have had males and would love to have a baby Pua, plus her color is rare, but we'll try again once our breeder friend has a male for us.

I wouldn't clone any of my domestics though. There are more scientific reasons for my willingness to clone the anteaters and not trying to replace them. For the price of cloning I could just get several new anteaters instead.

happylabs
01-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Anybody see this on GMA this morning? They just did a story on this. Now I am disgusted. They showed pics from Korea where the cloning is done. They do all sorts of testing on dogs there and it doesn't look like the dogs are treated all that well.

I also was not all that impressed with the woman on GMA they showed who cloned her little dog Trouble. She said the cloned dog, named Double Trouble, does some of the same things Trouble did, all of which most puppies do. :rolleyes:

Not watching the show tonight.

pomtzu
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Anybody see this on GMA this morning? They just did a story on this. Now I am disgusted. They showed pics from Korea where the cloning is done. They do all sorts of testing on dogs there and it doesn't look like the dogs are treated all that well.

I also was not all that impressed with the woman on GMA they showed who cloned her little dog Trouble. She said the cloned dog, named Double Trouble, does some of the same things Trouble did, all of which most puppies do. :rolleyes:

Not watching the show tonight.

I saw that on GMA this a.m. too.

Not only are the animals in Korea not treated well in the lab, but when they have outlived their usefulness, they are sold to farms to be killed for human consumption, since dog is eaten in Korea. :mad:

So not only does this woman have "Double Trouble", but shortly, she is getting another clone who will probably be called "Triple Trouble", so she says. What a sorry piece of work.......:mad:

Just think of how far that $50,000 a pop per clone, could go the feed and care for all the homeless pets living in shelters.

Karen
01-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I have the show set to record tonight, I know animals can be cloned other places than that one Korean facility ...

Asiel
01-11-2012, 08:58 PM
I noticed she had a huge picture of her dog painted on a wall and it was mentioned that she puts an urn with her pet's ashes in the middle of her bed each night and sleeps with it....I have to wonder if the $50,000 might not have been better spent on therapy, something is just not right with this whole picture.
I grieved my dogs for ages after they passed but never would I go to the extent this woman did. This seems to go beyond grieving.

Karen
01-13-2012, 01:03 AM
I watched the first episode, and it was really sad that these people were so obsessed with their pets that they went to these lengths. I do feel both the man and the woman with the painting on the wall could have certainly used a lot of counseling, and the other woman, who seemed the sanest, was profiled the least because she's in jail. It makes me wonder if the money she used to pay for Blue's cloning came from her illegal activities.

It was just overwhelmingly sad for these people, that their lives have led them to this path.

pomtzu
01-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't know which is worse; cloning or stuffing. :eek: I find them both quite distasteful. :(

DriftyAlison0
01-18-2012, 03:08 PM
I think that cloning is both disrespectful and wrong. Now we are going to have more pets that are messed up. Anything living is not meant to be cloned. Whats next humans? I fear for the day where we would have a clone for everything. And for example lets say that Fluffy died from cancer, wouldn't his clone have the same thing? I know that saying goodbye is tough, but why waste thousands if not millions of dollars on a copy of the same pet? Sooner or later these pets would end up in shelters because people will have expectations and the clone wouldn't or couldn't live up to their expectations.

pomtzu
05-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I really shouldn't drag this up again, but I saw another report on it this a.m. that rather pi$$ed me off. It was on GMA Weekend, about a guy (I think he was a doctor-didn't catch it early on), who had his Chi cloned. He was so distraught after the little dog was attacked and killed by a Rottie, that he decided to pay the $100,000 and get it cloned. Well you might say he got his money's worth, since he got triplets out of it. He swears that these dogs are exactly like his original dog. He said (now get this!), that they all sleep in the same chair that the other dog did too! Gee - ya think??? I don't suppose that this "doctor" - an educated(?) man - might think the reason they do that, is because the scent of the other dog is still in it??? :rolleyes:
People!!! Sometimes I wonder about them!