PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Foods

Karen
01-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I know "cold" is relative, depending on where you live and what you are used to. We finally had a couple cold days up here, though it's gonna warm back up, they say, and be in the 40s tomorrow.

But what foods do you crave when cold weather sets in?

Liquids count, too, as I suddenly want hot chocolate, though in the warmer seasons never drink chocolate milk!

And of course I crave things I can no longer have, like a good beef stew ...

How about you?

Felicia's Mom
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Chilli con Carne

Barbara
01-06-2012, 03:55 AM
Lentil soup:)

neko1
01-06-2012, 04:52 AM
The crock pot comes out when the cold weather sets in...:)

Scooter's Mom
01-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Frito Chili Pie. It's a cold weather, comfort food for me. It reminds me of my mom. Even though the fritos are high carb and I limit them (I'm diabetic) I do throw a handful in a bowl of chili every so often and toss in a little cheese and have a quick version of this. My mom's was baked in the oven, but I never take the time to do that.

pomtzu
01-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Cold weather = crock pot meals here too. My favorite would be chill, followed by beef stew, with chicken and potatoes with mushroom gravy coming in next. Hot drinks would be coffee (which I don't normally drink), and hot chocolate. It's not so much the drink that I like, but I love to wrap my cold hands around a mug filled with a steaming hot drink. :)

Asiel
01-06-2012, 07:31 AM
I love homemade soups, and crock pot meals also. Stews, chilli, chicken and potatoes with mushroom sauce (recipe that I got from Pom) . Also love Lasagna and Shepherd's pie.

happylabs
01-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Soups and stews I love to have when it is really cold. I make chili and also I make something I call hamburger soup. I just saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery, add hamburger and brown that and then add beef stock. It is simple and comforting to me.

Cataholic
01-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Lentil soup:)

My sister makes the best lentil soup! I had some for dinner two nights ago, and have another frozen one ready to go. YUM! Course, I love lentils in the summer time, too.

Taz_Zoee
01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Living in California it doesn't get THAT cold here. But being a native of the state it is still cold to me. :)
I am not a soup eater.....no matter how cold. But in the winter I like to get hot chocolate from Starbucks. In the summer its frapps!!
Bruce eats soup all winter and sometimes into the summer. No thanks!

lizbud
01-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Soup. Campbell makes a great creamy chicken & dumpling or their
baked potato with cheddar & bacon bits. Both are good with crusty
french bread. Yum.:)

Bibette & Lulu
01-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Homemade Chicken Soup - always hits the spot!!!

Randi
01-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I just made this again, really like it!

Creamy Jerusalem Artichoke soup

Olive oil
6-8 Jerusalem Artichokes
1-2 potatoes
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
vegetable or chicken stock
salt
pepper

Cut a small onion and a clove of garlic in smaller pieces and put it in a pot with a bit of oil.

Peel the Jerusalem Artichokes, cut them into pieces and also the potatoes and put them in the pot. Add about 1/2 liter of vegetable stock or chicken stock. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 25 min. covered with a lid. Stir now and again.

Let it cool off a bit and pour into a blender and whirl it around. Pour it back into the pot and add about 1 dl of milk and/or cream and heat it. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

In case you don't know them, here's a picture. They come in a more round version, too. Get the ones without too many "bumps on them, they're so much easier too peel.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/jerusalem_artichoke

There's a thread with other good soups, called "Recipes - Soup" ;) And there's one for Crockpot's, too.

Glacier
01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Stews and potatoes! I crave starchy carbs in the winter; which just means I have to spend more time skiing or on the treadmill!

I drink way more tea in the winter too.

We do get real cold here. January is usually our minus 40 month. So far this winter has been ridiculously mild. It might get close to 32F/0C this weekend. That's at least 20 celcius degrees warmer than our normal daily high temperature for this time of year! I have six cords of wood to split and stack this weekend so I'm quite happy that it's not -40!

Karen
01-06-2012, 01:09 PM
I so miss soup. Sigh.

Good cheesy macaroni and cheese - the real stuff - is another thing I sometimes crave.

And oatmeal with raisins, which I can have, and keep on hand just for those moments!

caseysmom
01-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't really crave cold weather foods as much as I miss the fruits of summer like crazy, winter is horrible for fruit!

Karen
01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Speaking of cold weather, don't today's two chinchillas (http://PetoftheDay.com/archive/2012/January/06.html) look so warm and cozy snuggling together? Awwww ...

smokey the elder
01-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Chili, homemade mac-n-cheese (not the synthetic stuff in a box, mind!:p) and soups hit the spot in cold weather, along with hot chocolate or coffee with some "secret" ingredients added!:D