PDA

View Full Version : Sad pup ): advice needed.

sallyandsnowx
01-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Two days ago, my grandmother was admitted into the hospital. She had a really bad cough, so bad, it got to the point she could barely breathe. She was diagnosed with pneumonia and they also found out she had a small heart attack recently. :(

Since my grandfather took her to the hospital, their dog, Duke, has been staying with me. He seems, well, depressed. Even when he arrived at my house, you could tell something was wrong with him. He's usually a lively little fellow, but now seems quite the opposite. Even during his walks, he seems to just drag along. You can see it in his eyes he is upset.

They said animals can sense when something is wrong. Do you think he knows my grandmother is sick? :confused: What could I do to cheer up his mood? Hes been getting lots of affection and love from everyone in the household. Is there any other methods?

Thank you.

Taz_Zoee
01-04-2012, 09:52 PM
He definitely knows something is wrong. I'm not sure what you can do for him that you aren't already doing. He may get better soon. But hopefully your grandmother and grandfather will be home soon enough.
Just give him lots of love and attention. Remember, he is not at home with his people. My dogs act like this for a while when I leave them with family too. Since we've done it for so long, they know we are coming back to get them. But Duke also knows that "mom" is not well. That is adding some stress and depression to him.

Please give Duke some loves from me too and I hope your grandmother is home soon.

Karen
01-04-2012, 10:57 PM
You should call the hospital, an ask if you can bring Duke to visit your grandmother, they might allow it, and it'd probably do them both a lot of good!

dukedogsmom
01-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Karen, you beat me to it. I'll bet the hospital would alllow a visit and I'm sure it would do them both a world of good.

Freedom
01-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I've taken both cats and dogs in to visit my Dad in hospital ( not at the same time! he hee). The ones I take are reasonably well trained; and no, I do NOT suggest you phone first. Go first so you know the way, and just walk through with the pup as if you belong -- you do! The worst that can happen is someone asks you to leave; no big deal. "It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission" is apt here.

Grandmother and all the nurses, CNAs and techs will love it! I always know the pet lovers among the staff, they are right there to visit with us when I have a pet in. Which makes my time with Dad even more special.

Yes, of course the doggie knows something is wrong: his humans are missing, his HOME has changed, he routine is all upside down. A visit will likely do both grandmother AND doggie a world of good!

Once you scout out the route to the room, this is what you need to focus on:- if she is in ICU, no pets. If an elevator ride is involved, have some treats with you in your pocket. Dogs sometimes find the feeling of an elevator ride a funny sensation. Be prepared that doggie may not want to cross the "gap" into this tiny room. I have one dog who hesitate -- I take out a bite of cheese, and she is fine, ha haaa.

Oh, and do let us know about the visit afterwards!

cassiesmom
01-05-2012, 10:08 AM
I agree with everyone who said Duke knows something isn't right. I also agree with those who said to see if you can bring her dog to visit, especially if she is going to be there for an extended period of time. If the hospital won't allow a visit in your grandmother's room, maybe there is a visiting area where she and Duke can meet up for some time together.

kaycountrygal
01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Poor dog. Of course Duke is sad and upset. His entire world has just turned upside down and he misses his humans, his house, his routine, the love from them. Yes, he knows something is not right. I agree with others; take him for a visit if she isnt in ICU. I hope she recovers and is able to come home soon.

Asiel
01-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I agree with Freedom - check out the place and your grandmother's room and then just go as if you belonged. I don't know where you live but the staff will probably assume the dog is a sd, yours or your grandmother's and no one will say anything. You can always use a blank stare if they ask . As was mentioned the ICU is off limits to any animal and only close family is allowed so make sure your grandmom isn't in there. I hope it works out, it would do the dog and your grandmom a world of good to meet. Maybe the poor dog is worried he won't see her again, the visit might perk him up.

sallyandsnowx
01-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! :) I didn't know pets were allowed in hospitals. Guess you do learn something new everyday!

My grandfather called me about an hour ago saying that my grandmother will be released from the hospital tomorrow and they will pick Duke up once they get settled in. Which is good. :D

Karen
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Some hospitals will allow visits from only therapy or service dogs, both others are more lenient. It depends, institution to institution. I am glad you grandmother is coming home, Duke will be so happy to see her!

kaycountrygal
01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Glad to hear your grandmother will be released tomorrow. Duke will be so glad to see her and vice versa I'm sure.

sallyandsnowx
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Sorry I didn't post about this yesterday! I was a little busy.

My grandfather came and picked Duke up yesterday. He was SO happy. I'm glad his mood finally picked up. :)