PDA

View Full Version : This saddens me

Snickismylife
01-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I just moved into my first house and very excited about this . Well in my neighborhood I have noticed some outdoor kittys and this is Michigan we get so much snow and its absolutly freezing out. I have 1 kitty who has never been outside and I wont allow her too since she is older and may not be able to defend herself.
Well I ran into my neighbor this week and asked about the kittys because I leave food for them and even go on the deck to play with them. One kitty a long hair black girl I have fallen in love with and she comes everyday at the same time for her daily petting. The neighbor said all 5 cats are hers and it saddens me they are outside freezing but I cannot allow them to be inside because I am not 100 %sure they are clean and I dont want Snickers to catch anything. Is there anything I can do ? I dont want to call on them and they end up in a shelter forever ?
PS Ive been looking for a long haired black girl kitty for months LOL

Karen
01-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Can you talk to the neighbor about her setting up some kind of shelters for them, with your help? A box with a blanket so they can shelter from the wind ... it doesn't need to be anything fancy.

Freedom
01-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, how do you think I landed 10 ??!!

If you want to take one in, you keep it in the carrier and whisk it off to the vet. Have the tests done: FELV and FIV are the biggies. The vet will check kitty over, give vaccines (since you don't know if any have been done) and then you return home and start the slow introduction process. Snick won't be at risk.

Did this neighbor say why she leaves them outside all the time? Is it a lack of education (she thinks they are fine), or lack of funds?

You do have a problem taking 1 or more in if she says they are hers, though.

kaycountrygal
01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
This might be a longshot but do you suppose the neighbor would give you the black haired cat?? You're already feeding and petting her. To me it doesnt sound as if she takes good care of them. If you just take black girl, sooner or later I think neighbor will find out you took her cat. As Karen said, maybe you or both of you could put up a small shelter for them.

moosmom
01-04-2012, 04:40 AM
Oh man!! You guys got over 18 inches of snow. That poor baby! Thank you for caring enough. I'd ask the neighbor if you can take her in. You might be pleasantly surprized.

You can cheaply set up a shelter for the cats (it's VERY sad she makes them stay outdoors in such frigid weather). Take a large Rubbermaid bin (color green if possible) with the cover on it. Flip it upside down. Line it with newspaper and straw. Cut a hole in the end so they can enter and exit, and it will keep high winds out. To keep drinking water from freezing, put a pinch of salt in it.

You and the kitties will be in my thoughts and prayers. Is a picture possible???

catmandu
01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
It was so sold last night that I let Big Terrance stay on the Moose Angel Memorial Porch:love:
I have a Cat Tent, a Good One so at least he is out of the cold.
He is a Huge Cat and very agressive or else I would take him in:(
I am going to trap and TNR him, but getting this Big Fellow in a carrier will not be an easy task:eek:

Snickismylife
01-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Thank You guys for the advice. I just got home at midnight and my cat was talking to one from outside but he is a boy and Snick is a girl and I am afraid of putting him near her at all. Its 21 degrees out right now and i put out food and ran upstairs so I dont see him . I wish I could just bring them all in and show them real love. I DO HAVE PICS MY PHONE IS CHARGING BUT ILL POST PICS ASAP . They are so pretty

Snickismylife
01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Thank You guys for the advice. I just got home at midnight and my cat was talking to one from outside but he is a boy and Snick is a girl and I am afraid of putting him near her at all. Its 21 degrees out right now and i put out food and ran upstairs so I dont see him . I wish I could just bring them all in and show them real love. I DO HAVE PICS MY PHONE IS CHARGING BUT ILL POST PICS ASAP . They are so pretty

Here are 3 of the 5 :love:

phesina
01-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Thank you for the pictures. What beautiful kitties!