PDA

View Full Version : Need some good vibes!

dab_20
01-03-2012, 10:19 AM
My fiance and I have been apartment hunting the last few weeks. I've realized how ridiculously expensive they are here in the valley! Most of our hunting has ended in disappointment because of hidden fees that aren't advertised our finding out the place is trashy compared to the pictures.

I'm finding we need to sacrifice something because our price range is pretty tight. We want an updated apartment, with appliances that aren't 50 years old, in a good area. In our price range this seems impossible! :rolleyes:

We found one apartment yesterday that is 645 sq ft with new carpet, counter tops, and kitchen appliances for $650 a month! The building is older itself, and not in the safest of areas, however this is walking distance from school. The only catch is to get this specific apartment we need to sign a lease, pay fees, and first months rent by the 6th! :eek: We're going to check out a few apartments today and make our decision as to whether we want this apartment.

Wish me luck! And that I can possibly scrounge up the funds to do this....

Freedom
01-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Are the pups moving with you? (Sorry, I can't remember if they are with you, or your folks, sorry.) If so, make sure it says right in the lease that you can have them. Landlords change, and you don't want issues down the road.

What sorts of fees are involved?

Most places around here basically require 2 months rent: it is either security deposit and first month, or first and last month, depends how they word it. Alot of money to come up with, especially if you are already in an apartment, that means you basically need 3 months rent at one time.

Good luck to you!

dab_20
01-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Are the pups moving with you? (Sorry, I can't remember if they are with you, or your folks, sorry.) If so, make sure it says right in the lease that you can have them. Landlords change, and you don't want issues down the road.

What sorts of fees are involved?

Most places around here basically require 2 months rent: it is either security deposit and first month, or first and last month, depends how they word it. Alot of money to come up with, especially if you are already in an apartment, that means you basically need 3 months rent at one time.

Good luck to you!

I am taking Molli with me. I will definitely make sure.

I am just finding places will say a certain amount, and then when you go in there they say "plus parking, trash, and security- $30 more". That SHOULD come with the price of the rent, they are just trying to make it seem like rent is really lower than it is.

This specific place has a deposit of 89.00 plus 99.00 for pets, 20$ app fee, and then prorated rent due by the 6th. Right now I'm living with my mom, never been on my own, so its a little overwhelming. Luckily my fiance has been on his own 8 years now so he knows how everything works.

Karen
01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
That is standard, you'll find wherever you search. But good luck, hopefully everything works out!

CountryWolf07
01-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Good luck!! My boyfriend and I have always insisted on getting a house rather than a apartment. It took us quite a while, over a year or so, but we've been together for about 5 years now, so we both decided to take the plunge into buying a house at this time of the year. We get keys at the end of this month, so it's pretty exciting. I got to give you advice, "If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Things will work out when they are supposed to." AND GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING when it comes to looking at apartments, too. :)