PDA

View Full Version : Kindle

caseysmom
12-29-2011, 01:21 PM
My daughter gave me her kindle she got as a gift a year ago and never used.

I have a few questions, number one I heard there are free books, how do I find them? Also I noticed my daughters credit card info is in there, I want to take it out in case I accidently buy something, does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks!

Pinot's Mom
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Is it the basic Kindle (which is what I have)? If so, the books are on the Amazon site. You have to be hooked into WiFi to log on and search the books. You're probably going to have to reconfigure all the settings to make this happen (including the credit card). I can't look right now, but I'll turn mine on when I get home and post instructions.

Enjoy! I love mine! :D

caseysmom
12-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks, I'm not sure what it is she forgot to bring me the book but it is probably the basic kindle, she got it oct 2010. Thanks!

sallyandsnowx
12-29-2011, 03:47 PM
I just got a kindle for Christmas. It's the kindle fire, not the original, but I'm sure they could be close to the same thing.

To get wifi, there should be a little settings button by the battery (it sorta looks like a screw.) If you click that, you should see the option for volume, brightness, wifi, etc. Click wifi, and you'll get the options of different network connections. Just click yours, put in the password for you wireless Internet, and viola! You have wifi. :) My aunt has also told me about the free books, but I have yet to find them.. :confused: Sorry, if I do I will let you know!

As to change credit card information, go onto amazon and log into your account. I'm not sure how to change it unless you buy something, but I'd you purchase something off amazon, you are able to change address, credit card info, etc. Then you have the option to make this the default payment option.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your kindle, it's a lot of fun. I love it! :D

mrspunkysmom
12-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks, I'm not sure what it is she forgot to bring me the book but it is probably the basic kindle, she got it oct 2010. Thanks!

Get your daughter to give you a tutorial.

You can usually download a manual from the source.

Don't know about kindle, but nook has a help manual on the nook itself.

good luck

caseysmom
12-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks, it has a manual on it I need to read just being impatient. I am able to connect and browse through books just not sure how to find free ones.

Lilith Cherry
12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
If you go to Amazon.com and click on kindle ebooks you will find lots of free books:) Choose a category (romance, mystery etc) and after clicking on it, choose list from low to high. Have fun and enjoy all the freebies!

caseysmom
12-29-2011, 04:23 PM
If you go to Amazon.com and click on kindle ebooks you will find lots of free books:) Choose a category (romance, mystery etc) and after clicking on it, choose list from low to high. Have fun and enjoy all the freebies!

Okay so stupid question how do I then get it to the kindle?

Pinot's Mom
12-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Okay so stupid question how do I then get it to the kindle?

You have to set up an account first; they can automatically transfer the files (books) onto your Kindle. You can also upload free games, as well as some cheap ones; I got Scrabble for .99 on a sale- having a great time with that one!

OK-to turn on WiFi (KindleFire is not the same as basic; controls are different), you should be at your home base to start this. Slide the bar on the bottom right to the on position, Hit ""Menu" and choose the "turn on WiFi" option. CAUTION - DO NOT LEAVE IT ON INDEFINITELY, IT WILL KILL THE BATTERY. Then, from the menu, choose the "Settings" option and you should be able to make changes. You will need your WiFi passcode; get that before you begin. It is on a sticker on my router; it probably is on yours as well. To download books, after you set up, from the "menu" again, choose shop in Kindle Store option.

I think that covers what you need; if not, let me know.

caseysmom
12-29-2011, 05:03 PM
You have to set up an account first; they can automatically transfer the files (books) onto your Kindle. You can also upload free games, as well as some cheap ones; I got Scrabble for .99 on a sale- having a great time with that one!

OK-to turn on WiFi (KindleFire is not the same as basic; controls are different), you should be at your home base to start this. Slide the bar on the bottom right to the on position, Hit ""Menu" and choose the "turn on WiFi" option. CAUTION - DO NOT LEAVE IT ON INDEFINITELY, IT WILL KILL THE BATTERY. Then, from the menu, choose the "Settings" option and you should be able to make changes. You will need your WiFi passcode; get that before you begin. It is on a sticker on my router; it probably is on yours as well. To download books, after you set up, from the "menu" again, choose shop in Kindle Store option.

I think that covers what you need; if not, let me know.

I know how to get online, just not sure how to transfer the books to Kindle.

Pinot's Mom
12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
I know how to get online, just not sure how to transfer the books to Kindle.

You buy them, or "buy" free ones, they figure out how to get them there as long as you're set up with them.

caseysmom
12-29-2011, 09:14 PM
You buy them, or "buy" free ones, they figure out how to get them there as long as you're set up with them.

Sounds like I need to set up an account for me with amazon and resynch the kindle.

snakemama
12-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Sounds like I need to set up an account for me with amazon and resynch the kindle.

Yep! It's not hard to do. I just got a kindle for Christmas and I'm loving it! Once the kindle is logged into your account, you can search for the free books you found online and download them. I just read "The Story of a Soul" by St. Therese, and even though I'm not religious I really enjoyed it!

caseysmom
12-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Yep! It's not hard to do. I just got a kindle for Christmas and I'm loving it! Once the kindle is logged into your account, you can search for the free books you found online and download them. I just read "The Story of a Soul" by St. Therese, and even though I'm not religious I really enjoyed it!

Thanks, my daughter is going to walk me through it over the phone this weekend. It was a silly present to give her considering she just started college, she definetely has no time to read non text books.

pomtzu
12-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I got a Kindle Touch for Christmas, and I'm loving it too. I'm half way thru my 2nd book already, and today I downloaded about 10 free ones. It's really great having a library at your fingertips! :D

Asiel
12-30-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm sticking to our good old fashion library. Might be more trouble but it's a nice place to meet old friends and I can get most books I'm looking for and if not they order it and it takes 3 days to come in.

caseysmom
12-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for everyone's input, I am particularly excited about being able to enlarge the print since my eyes aren't as great as they use to be.

Karen
12-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Yes, I am wondering if an e-reader of some sort would enable my Dad to be able to read books again or not, as it is backlit and maybe that will help. He's got MD in both eyes, wet in one, dry in the other.

pomtzu
12-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes, I am wondering if an e-reader of some sort would enable my Dad to be able to read books again or not, as it is backlit and maybe that will help. He's got MD in both eyes, wet in one, dry in the other.

I believe the Kindle Fire is the only one that is backlit - not sure about the Nook. My Kindle Touch isn't, and to read at night I have to leave a light on. I do plan to get a clip on light for reading in bed at night tho. I also like that I can adjust the size of the print, so I don't need my reading glasses. I had pretty much quit reading except for maybe 15 minutes at a time, since holding a book made my hands go almost completely numb, and the small print gave me a headache, even with my reading glasses. I'm already on my 3rd book, and I just started using it 5 days ago! :D

Karen
12-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm wondering if maybe an iPad would work for him, that's backlit, too ...

Randi
12-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Karen, I didn't read through the thread, but saw that your father has problems reading books. In England, one of John's family had this little "lamp" that you can attach to the top of a book - really smart! That might be something your father could use. In fact many people could, especially when you read in bed and your partner wants to sleep. ;)

Karen
12-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Karen, I didn't read through the thread, but saw that your father has problems reading books. In England, one of John's family had this little "lamp" that you can attach to the top of a book - really smart! That might be something your father could use. In fact many people could, especially when you read in bed and your partner wants to sleep. ;)

Thanks, Randi, but that won't help him. He's got macular degeneration, so focussing is the problem, not the amount of light. When his eyes were really bad this summer, he still did his crossword puzzles, just slowly and with a magnifying glass that had a light built in.

Lilith Cherry
01-01-2012, 01:15 PM
I find the non backlit ones are easier on my eyes Karen! You can also buy a cover with a built in light for the kindle which is useful. The large print is a Godsend! I have severe diabetic retinopathy and the kindle enables me to read and enjoy books all the time!

Shelteez2
01-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I know a lot of people who use this site.

http://www.pixelofink.com/

caseysmom
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Finally got my daughter to spend a few minutes on the phone helping me, I had to go to settings and deregister her and register myself, now I will go search for some books...yippeee just love being able to enlarge the font

kitten645
01-06-2012, 12:53 AM
There was an article on the local news that your local library offers free books online. I haven't looked into it yet but they said there were like 14,00 titles to choose from. Not current best sellers but classics. I downloaded Little Women and look forward to reading it again. I think anything that encourages reading is a great thing.

caseysmom
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I am loving my Kindle! I do have one question, so far I have only read my books at home where I have wifi. If I take it somewhere do I need to actually download the books if I won't have internet access?

pomtzu
01-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I am loving my Kindle! I do have one question, so far I have only read my books at home where I have wifi. If I take it somewhere do I need to actually download the books if I won't have internet access?

Aren't you loading the books to your Kindle from home? Once they are on the Kindle, then you don't need to be connected to wifi to read them. Right now I have about 22 books that I have loaded since Christmas, and I can just take Kindle wherever I go and read any of the ones that are on there. I took it with me to the lab with me this a.m. when I had to have blood work done, since they're always busy on Monday and I knew I would have a wait.

caseysmom
01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I synched my Kindle with my amazon account, does that load the books to my Kindle?

pomtzu
01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I synched my Kindle with my amazon account, does that load the books to my Kindle?

Yup! When you "buy" a book it loads to your Kindle as long as the info is synched to your Amazon account.

And don't keep your wifi connection open when you are just reading. You don't need to, and it will drain your battery very fast if you do.

caseysmom
01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Yup! When you "buy" a book it loads to your Kindle as long as the info is synched to your Amazon account.

And don't keep your wifi connection open when you are just reading. You don't need to, and it will drain your battery very fast if you do.

Okay thanks, I will bring it in to work tomorrow to test that I can get to my books without an internet connection. (someone at work wants to check it out anyway) We bought the Kindle fire for a co-worker who is retiring also.

pomtzu
01-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Okay thanks, I will bring it in to work tomorrow to test that I can get to my books without an internet connection. (someone at work wants to check it out anyway) We bought the Kindle fire for a co-worker who is retiring also.

Just turn your wifi connection off on the Kindle at home - you can check it that way. If your book titles are showing up, then the books have loaded properly and you can read anywhere and anytime! I'm already addicted to mine, and I just got it for Christmas.

You really can't compare the Fire to the other models either. It's a totally different animal!