PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Buy Omaha Steaks?

Freedom
12-22-2011, 09:43 AM
They had a special offer on the TODAY show, Jill's Steals and Deals, so I ordered. First time. I've got one packet thawing to cook later today.

I've done well in the past with Jill's offers; only bought 3 things over 2 years, but quite pleased with all of them.

I am getting all these emails of the "great" deals from Omaha, which suggests what I bought wasn't so unusual after all. Oh well. But what really annoys me is that they say their beef are "grain fed" which is better than grazing or grass fed? Uh-oh, I suspect I really made an OOPS! Here. Pretty sure I am not going to order from them ever again.

So anyone have any info on them?

lvpets2002
12-22-2011, 09:56 AM
:) No I have never ordered them before.. I have heard that they are very good.. Hey I will be right over & we can try them.. :D Let us know the turn out ok..

Edwina's Secretary
12-22-2011, 10:10 AM
We just went to a retail store and bought our Omaha Steak roast for Christmas (and got eight free burgers with it!)

Their meats can be pricy but they are sooooo good. Their sides are good too - my husband LOVES the au gratin potato and they have a white fish with Mexican spices that is great to have in the freezer for a quick dinner.

They had a store very close to us which closed a couple of years ago. Now we have to drive about 45 minutes (and LOTS of traffic) so we don't get it as often.

Randi
12-22-2011, 10:37 AM
ES, the Omaha Steak roast, was the one you cooked last Christmas? It was delicious. :) I must try that corn thing you made! ;)

cassiesmom
12-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes and they are fabulous! There is a retail store about a 30-minute drive from me, so I don't go there often - but they cook like a dream.

kitten645
12-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't know anything about Omaha steaks. I understand that grass fed it the way to go. However, I also think these cows are raised humanely and not factory farmed so that's good. I'm trying to cut down on red meat. I figure I'll buy better more expensive cuts fewer times. :)

happylabs
12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Funny you should ask! I ordered steaks for my parents for Christmas. It came with 4 steaks, 4 baked stuffed potatoes and 2 bags of veggies. I ordered online and had it delivered to them. I don't know if they have tried them yet.

I hope they are good and they like them. After I got them I had heard some mixed reviews so I was a bit scared.

I didn't know they had roasts! Have to check that out online.

pomtzu
12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I had an Omaha Steak once at my brother's - cooked on the grill - and it was very good. I've never personally ordered any of their packages tho.

It's funny how your eyes sometimes play tricks on you. When I first glanced at the title of this thread, I thought it said OBAMA Steaks. :eek: Thought it was a joke thread of some sort. :p Okay - you can blame it on my age.....:rolleyes:

Trinityagain
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM
My husband's boss sent us a gift box from them last year and everything was fantastic. We have had them a few times and have never been disappointed....ENJOY!

lvpets2002
12-22-2011, 12:50 PM
:p Yes I am sitting here && laughing my butt off == due to I first read the title the same way too.. I was like what the heck is Sandie going with this.. And then I reread to myself && went oh oh yow.. :D

It's funny how your eyes sometimes play tricks on you. When I first glanced at the title of this thread, I thought it said OBAMA Steaks. :eek: Thought it was a joke thread of some sort. :p Okay - you can blame it on my age.....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Karen
12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
I am allergic to beef, but get chicken breasts from them, and also like the sides - I get the baked stuffed potatoes, and Paul loves their rissoto cakes, which are even good just microwaved! The (boneless, skinless) chicken breast are individually packaged, so I can just throw one in the fridge overnight and it is thawed for dinner the next day - quite handy.

Edwina's Secretary
12-22-2011, 01:21 PM
ES, the Omaha Steak roast, was the one you cooked last Christmas? It was delicious. :) I must try that corn thing you made! ;)

That's the one! Only thing is it is so lean there's not much drippings for the Yorkshire Pudding!

Freedom
12-22-2011, 05:45 PM
OK thanks for all the info!

Today I made the bacon wrapped beef tenderloin (filet mignon). We've never had that before, even without the bacon, as we aren't big beef eaters. It was yummy!

The special came with:
4 bacon wrapped beef tenderloin
4 boneless pork chops
4 boneless chicken breasts
4 steak burgers
4 stuffed potatoes
4 caramel apple tartlets
and at the time I ordered, she offered to add 2 more beef tenderloin (not with bacon) for just additional shipping, so I did that.

Now: those of you (who shall remain nameless) who thought I asked about Obama Steaks, please have your glass prescription checked! :D

lvpets2002
12-23-2011, 09:43 AM
:p Well there ya go = I see the problem now == Was I suppose to put on my Glassess?? :D

OK thanks for all the info!

Now: those of you (who shall remain nameless) who thought I asked about Obama Steaks, please have your glass prescription checked! :D

lizbud
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
I've never tried their meats or sides before but it all sounds yummy.:)
I looked up their site (with pictures) and my mouth is watering. I just
finished breakfast only an hour ago.:D Pricing seems reasonable too.

http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=261&AID=2660&ITMSUF=ARN&SRC=AE2491&gclid=CKq1prTGmK0CFRECQAodRhoOow

pomtzu
12-23-2011, 10:05 AM

I don't wear glasses. I have lens implants after cataract surgery, and besides, I passed my eye exam with flying colors earlier this month! :p Maybe they got crossed for a second and that's why I read it wrong....:D

Glad to hear that you and Dad liked the steaks, too. Don't suppose there was even a tiny morsel for the Fluffs???? :( You should cook one up for them for Christmas dinner.

Freedom
12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Tasha got a piece!

Somehow one piece went flying off MY Plate (yes, this was me, not Dad lol) and hit the floor. Mad scramble of paws and I really thought Willy had it, but Tasha got it.

Grace
12-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Interesting - we received an invitation from Omaha Steaks in the mail today. The special they are offering costs $49.99 -

4 (5 oz.) Top Sirloins
4 (4 oz.) Boneless Pork Chops
4 (4 oz. approx.) Boneless Chicken Breasts
2 (4 1/2 oz) Stuffed Sole with Scallops & Crabmeat
4 (4 oz.) Omaha Steaks Burgers
8 (3 oz.) Gourmet Franks
8 Stuffed Baked Potatoes

Plus they will throw in a cutting board, a 6 piece cutlery set and 4 more Omaha Steaks Burgers.

After reading this post, I'm thinking we might just order it.

Freedom
12-23-2011, 05:30 PM
That sounds like a great offer! Check the price of the shipping; when I had checked reviews online (and I think someone said it in this thread, too) the shipping tends to be high.

We had the other 2 bacon wrapped beef tenderloins today. :love:

Karen
12-23-2011, 05:56 PM
The key is to wait for a sale if you don't have a good coupon. They always have sales, several times a year, and we stock up on things then! We're lucky to have two retail locations fairly close to us.

Grace
12-23-2011, 06:12 PM
The shipping for this is $17.99 - so total would be $67.98.

I see there is an Omaha Steaks about 30 miles from us. Think I'll call next week and find out if we can use the coupon in the store. It wouldn't cost us $17.99 in gas to get there and back.

Karen
12-23-2011, 06:27 PM
I bet you can, and the folks there are usually really nice. The ones at our store will even take a list if you have one, like on that coupon, and gather it all together for you.

lbaker
01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Maybe it's because I'm a "frequent buyer" (well, several times a year anyway) but occasionally I've been offered FREE SHIPPING. That's when I jump on it. Did not care for the stuffed baked potatoes (I think my own are better) but the Au Gratin and especially the Pepper Jack Risotto cakes are simply mahvelous my dears! Steaks are very good and I love the idea of being able to take just what I need out of the freezer and have one or several. I also like their desserts. The containers they ship in are sturdy and have many uses after it's unpacked. The fish is good too, again... just defrost what you need. Handy when you are cooking for one.

Laurie

Freedom
01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't make stuffed potatoes, and had never had them before. We loved the ones came with the order.

I've had a few emails w/ free shipping offers. I can see that is the best way to order from them, and now that we have had time to sample the items, I am just waiting for my next offer of free shipping, ha haa.