PDA

View Full Version : Bullying on a Board - what to do?

Catty1
12-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Long story - but on our condo board one person has really turned into a bully. She flies off the handle without all the information and is ready to accuse our property manager of anything.

This began when we did major renovations in the buildings. There is a couple who are contractors and own a unit. They were 'allowed' on the board even though not elected as the renovation process and costs needed to be followed.

They became very demanding, to put it mildly. At one point, the husband told us - without the Property Manager present - that he had proof of fraud and had the police in the city investigating it. This seems to be an attempt to manipulate us, as two months later nothing has come of it. Our president has finally resigned after trying to make things work. The bully - our secretary - had to revise a set of minutes three times as there were sharp opinions expressed in addition to the facts.

Two other board members are ready to split.

We were a cooperative board that got things done, and this ugliness has reared its head.

Legal advice has told us to hang in til the AGM in February, when we have elections. The couple can be eliminated unless elected. Things could really fall apart since if some of the present Board members don't stand for re-election, as our Property Manager will also leave.:(

This is not typical workplace bullying, as there is really no superior to go to.

Any thoughts?

Karen
12-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Hang in there, and speak to the others to do the same until February and then vote them out!

Freedom
12-21-2011, 06:53 PM
In part, the secretary should not be documenting all that in the minutes. A brief "discussion followed" should be used often!

Other than that, as Karen said, hang in there. I served on a condo board for 3 years and boy, was it TOUGH going!

Catty1
12-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks!

We had such a good, mature board. Let's hope we get that again!

After the AGM, am emergency meeting (I forget the exact term) can be held to dismiss any members that are being unduly disruptive!

We could have had it next month...but legal folks said hang in, so we will!:)

Taz_Zoee
12-21-2011, 08:01 PM
I work for an association management company and this is exactly why I am in accounting and not the management department. Boards can be a pain. There is usually always at least one person that is "unruly" and difficult to work with.
Our terms here run 2 - 4 years so sometimes you could be stuck with this person for years. There is a way to get out of it, but it's more of a pain too.

Well, I hope she is not re-elected and things can calm down again.