PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for a wandering pup

Lady's Human
12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
It seems that for some reason, possibly due to the loss of a home after the flooding we had in CNY, someone either lost track of or abandoned a full grown Afghan hound.

He's been wandering the area, and no one has been able to catch him. He seems to be quite happily wandering and hunting, but his coat is badly matted and someone needs to get him before winter really sets in here. I saw him trotting down our street the other morning.

Prayers that he's caught and given a loving home.

cassiesmom
12-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Awww, Afghan hound! Please let LH help you. No goggie should be wandering in the cold.

Karen
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Saying a prayer that he will let you or someone else catch him before th weather turn foul, especially so he can get help with his matted coat, poor thing! Plus given his likely coloring, we will pray that no hunter mistakes him for a deer ...

Lady's Human
12-20-2011, 04:09 PM
He's within 1/2 mile of the house, still wandering.

lizbud
12-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Might take a concerted effort of several people to get him/her. Can
you get a large trap & bait it with yummy dog food? Have you trying
calling to him when he gets close by? The worst thing is to chase after
him, he'll likely run in the oppisite direction. Prayers he calms down & accepts help from someone.

Karen
12-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Hmmm, maybe some smelly wet dog food might lure him in enough to be captured? (Down back, of course, so Lady wouldn't see and bark him away ... ) Or a slow drive with a box of biscuits to rattle ...

Lady's Human
12-20-2011, 04:43 PM
THe problem with using a trap or a group effort to corral him would be the other rather more numerous canine denizens of the ridges he's running. We'd be far more likely to attract or capture a coyote.

Karen
12-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I kinda figured that, given the woods behind the house ... Sight hounds like that can be devilish to catch, and I am sure there are plenty of chipmunks and bunnies in the fields to distract him as well. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Freedom
12-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Aw, best chance may be to get him into someone's fenced back yard, then close the gate.

Afghans are gorgeous dogs, and yes they do need regular grooming. I can just imagine the mats, s/he may need to be shaved down once caught.

Come on, Afghan hound, the living is lovely in a home!

dukedogsmom
12-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Poor dog. I hate to think of him wandering around missing his home. I hope he's found safe, soon.

cassiesmom
12-21-2011, 09:56 AM
LH, how are things going with the wandering pup? Have you seen him (her?) again? I hope he lets himself be rescued.

Lady's Human
12-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Well, email update this morning is that he's moved a little further afield, but the person keeping tabs on him (an afghan breeder) is going to try to trap him/her.

In this case, prayers for both the rescuer and the pup, as this area is fairly heavily populated by coyotes. I hope they catch the right canine.

Karen
12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Prayers on the way! Come to a home for Christmas, wanderer!

Lady's Human
12-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Rescued and at the vet's office!

Good job, Fran!

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/pet/2773269285.html

lizbud
12-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Hooray Thanks for sharing this wonderful news.:D

Karen
12-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Yay! Thank goodness!