PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte the Deer

cassiesmom
12-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Governor Walker in Wisconsin "pardoned" this doe who was hand-raised by a caring person :D, and the person who raised her.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-met-kass-1216-20111216,0,4742650.column

chocolatepuppy
12-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Merry Christmas Charlotte!:)

lizbud
12-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Hooray for Charlotte. Kudos to the Chicago Tribune readers. I love it
when readers respond to a wrong & see it righted.:)

Karen
12-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Excellent story. Can they test for that Wasting Disease to be sure she does not have it, just in case?

dukedogsmom
12-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I had to google it to find out what it was. Seems they're being overly concerned, in my opinion.

Although CWD is a contagious fatal disease among deer and elk, research suggests that humans, cattle and other domestic livestock are resistant to natural transmission. While the possibility of human infection remains a concern, it is important to note there have been no verified cases of humans contracting CWD.

CWD can reduce the growth and size of wild deer and elk populations in areas where the prevalence is high, and is of increasing concern for wildlife managers across North America. The disease was long thought to be limited in the wild to a relatively small endemic area in northeastern Colorado, southeastern Wyoming and southwestern Nebraska, but has recently been found in several new areas across the North American continent. The disease also has been diagnosed in commercial game farms in several states and provinces.