PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Timeline on Facebook?

Kirsten
12-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, since yesterday, Timeline is available on Facebook in most parts of the world. It's optional so far, but as it seems, all profiles will be changed sooner or later. For this reason, I decided I could as well do it now. So, I changed my profile earlier this afternoon, and I'm now using Timeline (but I won't tell them all this stuff about my life, like when I've lost weight, or when I had my first relationship, etc... so not their business! lol)

Anyway, right now, I'm trying to figure out how to highlight/unhighlight older postings, but altogether, it doesn't seem to be as complicated as I thought it would be.

Something I don't like is this two column layout, but I guess I'll get used to it. I love the Activity Log, that way, it's super-easy to review and manage everything you have ever done on Facebook! Pretty cool! And I like the cover picture you can add to your profile, looks so much nicer that way!

So, what do you think? Are you planning on using it? Do you already use it? Do you like it, or are there things you really hate? Will you add your "life events" to Timeline, or do you think it's no one's - and especially not Mark Zuckerberg's - business? What are your thoughts?

Karen
12-16-2011, 12:03 PM
I will not use it, as the old song goes, "Ain't nobody's business but my own!"

Kirsten
12-16-2011, 12:07 PM
I will not use it, as the old song goes, "Ain't nobody's business but my own!"

Yes, but you can control your things like you could with the old profile, it's not the bad. And as for the "life events", there's no need to post them. I won't do that either.

happylabs
12-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Not yet, but I think it is going to be required at some point to switch to the new layout. I might switch this weekend when I have more time to goof around with it. I don't have a lot of personal info on mine either and my profile isn't searchable any longer.

The nice thing about Facebook is you can put as little or lot of info to suit your needs.

Post more pics of the kitties Kirsten. Haven't seen many lately. I never tire of looking at your sweeties. :)

dukedogsmom
12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm so sick of the FB god effin' with us! I'm not using it until I have to. I think he's let the power and money go to his head.

Grace
12-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I haven't seen it yet. And I never did see that ticker thing that's supposed to be on the right side of your screen.

finn's mom
12-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I have no idea what's going on with Facebook anymore. I have never even heard of Timeline haha. I don't use the option on the righthand side of the screen, it just confuses me.

I don't mind them changing stuff, it's free and I don't need to be on it anyway.

I'll have to look at the Timeline thing and see if it something I'm interested in using.

finn's mom
12-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I don't even know where to find this . . . anyone wanna guide me to it?

Alysser
12-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I changed it already to Timeline. I actually like it. It's cool to go back and see old statuses, IMO. It has the same settings as your old profile anyway, so it's not really anymore revealing.

I agree, I don't mind them changing things. I liked the new FB before, and I don't pay for it. Their site, let them do what they want.:p

I forgot how I got to it to be honest. Just type in 'timeline' in google and click the second link.

sallyandsnowx
12-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I think the Timeline is pretty neat looking! It's cool to go back and see old statuses, wall posts, etc. I don't have it on my facebook currently (I can't find how to change over lol) but some of my friends do.

Its confusing looking at first, but I guess it's something you just have to get use to.

finn's mom
12-16-2011, 03:25 PM
The intro to timeline video made me cry haha. i like the look of it a lot! i'm "taking the tour" now and will probably let it publish on it's own when the seven day trial is over. it reminds me more of the layout of myspace, and i always liked it. ;) we'll see!

Freedom
12-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Saw a FB friend post about it this morning, first I knew of it.

I do not like the way FB is currently. I actively play 2 games, which result in tons of posts. In earlier versions, I could hide the game posts and see folks' status updates. Since this latest version, can't do that. I miss statuses, conversations (since we no longer get emails) and basically lost the whole point of Facebook: to connect with people!! :(

Kirsten
12-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Grace, sallyandsnowx; you can change it here: https://www.facebook.com/about/timeline But keep in mind that once you've changed it, you cannot go back..

... And I never did see that ticker thing that's supposed to be on the right side of your screen.

Re. that ticker: I think it's so strange that it's not on everyone's profile! I got it a few months ago, but my mother still doesn't have it. Weird.

Since this latest version, can't do that. I miss statuses, conversations (since we no longer get emails) and basically lost the whole point of Facebook: to connect with people!!

That is strange, I still can hide game postings, etc... Would be annoying to see my news feed flooded with them. It's true, when you're missing your friends' status updates, the whole idea of FB went down the drain... :-(

it reminds me more of the layout of myspace, and i always liked it.

I was thinking the same! :-) I never really liked the look of "the old" Facebook.

It has the same settings as your old profile anyway, so it's not really anymore revealing.

Exactly! Just what I'm thinking!

I'm so sick of the FB god effin' with us! I'm not using it until I have to. I think he's let the power and money go to his head.

Well, yes... sometimes that guy scares me. Wouldn't be surprised if he rules the world one day...

Post more pics of the kitties Kirsten. Haven't seen many lately. I never tire of looking at your sweeties

I will! :) Just this evening, I posted a picture of Lily on FB. Need to find some more decent pics of them to start a thread here, too. :)

Scooter's Mom
12-16-2011, 11:19 PM
I have it, but haven't made it public yet. It will "go live" on Dec. 22nd.
I spent tonight re-reading all my old status updates... it was kind of nice.

JuniorxMyxLove
12-17-2011, 02:11 PM
I got it....yesterday? I really like it! I like how easy it is to go back and see where I was a year or two ago. Plus, I like the overall look of the new design better.

I'm a fan.

krazyaboutkatz
12-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Kirsten, when I was on FB last night I looked at yours and it does look nice. The problem that I have is that I rarely post anything so mine would really look empty. I usually just read other friends posts and either click like or comment on them. Nothing really happens in my life. It's very boring.

Grace
12-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Staci has it, and I like the look of her page. So does my d-i-l. I'm thinking I'm going to check it out further.

Kirsten
12-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Scooter's Mom, I will check yours when it went online. :)

JuniorxMyxLove, yes, isn't it just nice to go back and read your old posts? I like this a lot! :)

Grace, yes, you're right, Staci's page looks very nice. I love how you can make your profile page look more personal now with that cover photo.

Kirsten, when I was on FB last night I looked at yours and it does look nice. The problem that I have is that I rarely post anything so mine would really look empty. I usually just read other friends posts and either click like or comment on them. Nothing really happens in my life. It's very boring.

Thank you. :) Well, your old posts show up automatically in your timeline, so it won't look empty. Oh, and my life is boring as well, but at least I can tell stories about my girls, and vent every now and then about life's cruelties... Maybe I should stop bugging people with these things? lol ;)

Scooter's Mom
12-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Scooter's Mom, I will check yours when it went online. :)

JuniorxMyxLove, yes, isn't it just nice to go back and read your old posts? I like this a lot! :)

Grace, yes, you're right, Staci's page looks very nice. I love how you can make your profile page look more personal now with that cover photo.

I am making a picture of Scooter Bug my cover photo... his grumpy face and his little white chin that I miss so much. I really and truly will be the crazy cat lady my family thinks I am!

Kirsten
12-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I am making a picture of Scooter Bug my cover photo... his grumpy face and his little white chin that I miss so much. I really and truly will be the crazy cat lady my family thinks I am!

That is such a sweet idea! :)

Scooter's Mom
12-17-2011, 05:12 PM
That is such a sweet idea! :)

Actually I don't have any pictures good enough to fit the box. Right now I've got a random picture up. Nothing "fits". I wish I took pictures like you do, I'd use one of yours in a heartbeat.

Grace
12-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I have a question - for those already using Timeline, what does your news feed page look like? Does it stay the same as before or does it, too, change?

Alysser
12-17-2011, 09:28 PM
The Newsfeed page is exactly the same. :)

Grace
12-17-2011, 10:09 PM
The Newsfeed page is exactly the same. :)