PDA

View Full Version : Pig Ears

wolf_Q
11-12-2002, 12:10 PM
I've never given the dog pig ears/snouts/etc. before because I think they look nasty (lol). But my brother brought home 2 pig ears, one for Reggie, and one for Nebo. Reggie has been working on his for 3 days, and there's only a little bit of the top gone. Nebo's was gone in 5 minutes!! I'm not sure if I want to buy any more or not, I think Nebo might choke on it because he eats them so fast. Do your dogs like them?

ramanth
11-12-2002, 12:33 PM
Kia LOVES Pig Ears. I usually buy them in bulk or just bring one home after I've gone grocery shopping.

They are also a treat she gets from my dad when she visits my parents.

Kia wolfs them down also which amuses my dad. (He'll time her) She's never choked, but I don't let her have one without someone being around.

manda99
11-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Smokey and Porky love pig ears. They both scarf them down, too. They have never choked but they are always supervised when they eat them.

anna_66
11-12-2002, 01:12 PM
Of course ours love them! But I won't give Angus the pigs ears because they are so big & for some reason he feels he just has to make them soft & swallow them whole (or should I say "tries" to swallow them, choking his self in the process:eek: )
You should try the snouts, they look so *gross* but the dogs just love them! The only thing is they get really kinda soggy, so if you take it away from them before they are done, use a paper towel or something. I think they feel like a wet spongehttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/xyxnervous.gif

aly
11-12-2002, 01:31 PM
My dogs don't get them because I'm afraid of the choke factor. Also they're pretty fattening with no nutritional value. My dogs would probably like to move in with one of you who give your dogs pig ears, hehee. They always try to tell me to buy some when we're at the pet store.

zookeeper
11-12-2002, 02:02 PM
My dogs love them, but I do not buy them for them as I find they are really nasty smelling, and give Bobbie and Chester the worst breath ever. I buy them these dental chews that look like white pig ears but they have stuff to help with their breath, they seem perfectly happy with that.

Tina
11-12-2002, 03:35 PM
I've never tried giving my dog pig ears or snouts. I don't know if they would like them or not. Probably would. I might try and find them some when I go to the store Thursday.

lv4dogs
11-12-2002, 03:43 PM
My dogs love em'! They do not get them too often just about once a week. If ya think they look gross then check out the pigs legs! They are gross looking, luckily my dogs don't seem to think so.

Fuzzy317
11-12-2002, 06:09 PM
All our dogs like pig ears. We have only gotten snouts once, and they weren't too impressed with them.

Cookiebaker
11-12-2002, 07:40 PM
OK, Malone REALLY loves these nasty dried animal parts, but I think they REALLY stink!!! We've tried hooves (Ucccck!); pig ears (the smoked ones aren't AS bad, but it still made my kitchen smell like a barnyard); a snout; a bull stick (ewwwwww!). I wish so much(!) that rawhide was a safe thing because it's the only thing that doesn't stink to high heavens. We will give him a pig ear just before we leave so that he isn't as anxious.

Twisterdog
11-12-2002, 08:24 PM
My dogs LOVE pig ears. They don't get them very often, because I think they are expensive. But they are certainly happy when I splurge on them! :)

Glacier
11-12-2002, 11:35 PM
LOVE 'EM!! They don't last too long though. I usually give them rawhides--they take longer. Pigs ears are for special treats and in the house only. They cause bloodshed in the pen.

aly
11-13-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
I wish so much(!) that rawhide was a safe thing because it's the only thing that doesn't stink to high heavens.

Try compressed rawhide .. its safer than regular rawhide and pig ears and it doesn't stink.

You could also try those knuckle bones or femurs. They are safe too.

Dakota's Mommy
11-13-2002, 08:44 AM
Brian's dog at his mom's house absolutely loved Pigs Ears and they got them about once a week or so. When we were over there the last time, Brian's brother got Toby one and Dakota one. Dakota really liked it. Every time we pass them in the store, she wants one, but we haven't got her one since. I'm sure she'll get another one day, we just haven't bought any yet.

As for Destiny, I'm sure she'd love them, but we haven't gave one to her yet!

Adge Gibbs
11-13-2002, 09:37 AM
Seven goes through phases. Loves them some days and others days will just let them sit.

They give him pretty funky gas, so he gets them sparingly. He won't touch any pig ears or treats that come in plastic shrink wrap or bags. Never has. If they come in cardboard, yes, plastic no.

ramanth
11-13-2002, 09:42 AM
The ones I get don't smell that bad. At least, I don't think they smell any worse than some of the canned food Kia eats.

ownerof3dogs
11-13-2002, 06:04 PM
I started Giving my dogs pig ears just recently. I usually give them the big soup bones but thay have caused huge doggy brawls becasue they last forever and my dogs guard them. The pig ears are great becasue they only last for about 2 min then there gone - so no fights.

Plus my dogs seem to like watching me cringe when they're chewing the pig ears becasue they make that nasty breaking sound EEWWW

Crikit
11-13-2002, 10:59 PM
I give them to the dogs as an occasional treat and they love them. I don't give them to them very often though because of Winter throat and well Smudge acts like a pig with them. I actually prefer to give them hoofs or femurs though because they last longer. My mom doesn't like them 'cause she thinks they'll damage the floor.

wolf_Q
11-14-2002, 01:41 AM
I bought some hooves today for Nebo. I figured it would last longer. Yay! Those are great! They last a lot longer then rawhide, and he is more interested in them then other long lasting chews (such as booda/nylabones). He chewed on it all night, and it doesn't look much different. I didn't smell anything nasty with any of the stuff I got him. Of course I'm around smelly dogs all day long at work, so I guess I wouldn't notice it as much, huh? lol.

Kfamr
11-14-2002, 06:26 AM
Simba loves pig ears, Honey hasn't tried em..... yet. When i get pic ears, they usually are HUGE... so i cut them up into small peices and use them as little snacks every now and then. You can also buy pig ear bites in some catolog [Dr Foster And smith i beleive]....But i think it's cheaper my way!

mruffruff
11-14-2002, 12:24 PM
My dogs LOVE the pig ears. But they don't get them very often (like maybe semi-annually). With a diabetic in the house, I have to be careful what I give them. I gave up on rawhide a long while ago because of the choking factor.

I have been giving them hooves for a half hour at a time. If I leave them out too long, some of them get bloody gums.

I can't get them interested in Kongs without putting food in them. Again, I can't do that with a diabetic dog around. My poor dogs have to settle for ropes and non-destructable balls.

Mary

wolf_Q
11-17-2002, 04:46 PM
Changed my mind on the hoof. After he chewed on it all night and had it all gooey, that smelled NASTY and made the entire room stink! Icky.