PDA

View Full Version : work out question

Alysser
12-13-2011, 02:10 PM
I know this is random, and I'm not sure who can help me out here but I have a few questions about work-out pain, especially abdominal work out pain.

I have been working out since last November, trying to get back in shape, since I had no time for the gym all summer because of work, and I've been counting calories and working out intensely since September to loose weight for a cruise I am going on. I've also wanted abs since I was 14:p Well so far, it's been a great success. I'm about 7lbs lighter and my legs, arms, an abs are ALOT more toned than they used to be! But anyway, the pain recently just started, the ab pain. I was at the gym yesterday, and normally I use 50lbs weight for my abs, but I decided to change it recently and have been doing 65 lbs. I have had the ab pain a few times now. It's more of a soreness then anything else. It just hurts the next day and lasts for a few days, especially if I do more ab work outs. But why does it happen sporadically? :confused: Is this something I should worry about:confused: I have had workout pain before, and I know I should stretch and stuff but I've never had it this intense before. Everytime I move it hurts and it only happens randomly, not just everytime I work out. Just thought that was weird.

Also was just wondering if anyone else works out and wants to share success, has questions, etc. :o

Lady's Human
12-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Your body is telling you 65 lbs is too much.

It's better to work reps than weight if you're trying to tone muscles.

pomtzu
12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Exactly what LH said! When I had to have physical therapy a while ago - I said to the therapist - "no pain/no gain??" Boy - did I get a lecture and the untrue facts about that!

Lady's Human
12-13-2011, 02:36 PM
When I was working out in the military, I used 60 lbs on the ab machine as a weight point, that got me able to do 75 situps in 2 minutes, and I'm a 200+ lb male.

That just strikes me as too much weight.

THe line about pain is weakness leaving the body is bolsh. A burn the day following a workout is good. When it crosses the line into pain there are issues.

Alysser
12-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks LH. I guess I'll stop doing 65lbs then, for now.

I started out doing reps, that's the only way to really go about it without killing yourself. I still do reps, just with higher weights then I started out with which are way too easy now, even with more in one cycle.

I was just mostly concerned, because I truthfully haven't had workout pain in awhile. It just seems to come up out of no where.

smokey the elder
12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Maybe you should consult a trainer; weight training is very beneficial but you don't want to hurt yourself.

dab_20
12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
It's true, unless your trying to build big muscles, it's better to do many reps and less weight. Burns more fat and tones the muscle.

I recommend, for abs, not to use weight machines. They are very limited in what muscles they target and I find I can easily hurt my back doing them.
Best thing to use: Pilates! Seriously it is amazing for an ab work out, and incorporates stretching into it. I honestly just use Pilates for my strength training instead of weights. Tones the body wonderfully! (course I haven't been doing it for months now, need to find the motivation to work out again LOL)

Bengalz
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
I do reps on a regular basis for muscle toning - some discomfort when I overdo it but not pain. Use weights (smaller ones) for targeting specifics i.e. arms, back and pecs muscle. Takes longer but the reward is worth it:)

Don't hurt yourself - it only gets harder.