PDA

View Full Version : Since it's Christmas time...

redbird
12-13-2011, 11:59 AM
What is your favorite Christmas Song or Carol. Mine is It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/CHRISTMAS%20GRAPHICS/untitled.jpg

Karen
12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
I love too many to pick just one!

My favorite snow-shoveling carol is "In the Deep Midwinter"

I love Silent Night, of course ... and Away in a Manger, and oh ... so many!

pomtzu
12-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a lot of favorites, but my all time favorite is I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. For some reason, I tear up every time I hear it.

Catty1
12-13-2011, 01:59 PM
O Holy Night - I actually prefer playing it on the piano, but hearing it sung well is breathtaking!

If you really want to get LES, try and find Elisabeth Schwartzkopf singing 'Silent Night' in the original German, with the original instrumentation (guitar and violin?). She harmonizes with herself too. I heard it once many years ago on my car radio and just sat there with tears running down my face. So simple...and extremely beautiful.

Freedom
12-13-2011, 02:27 PM
One which always gives chills up my spine is: Mary, Did You Know? I prefer the recording by Hayley Westenra. I have it on one of her CDs.

If you don't know it, here is one of several on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUmRv98bSu8

finn's mom
12-13-2011, 02:41 PM
For the most part, if it's done in a traditional style, I like it. I love the classics, performed simply. Carol of the Bells is a favorite. :) I do like a good "rocking around the Christmas tree", though, too. :)

happylabs
12-13-2011, 03:08 PM
It depends upon my mood. I like all of the old traditional songs. However, sometimes if I am driving to work in the morning I can always use some humor so I welcom the 12 Pains of Christmas. :D

smokey the elder
12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
What a toughie; since I sing in a small group that does music spanning hundreds of years. For familiar: I think "O Come All Ye Faithful". For more obscure: "O magnum mysterium" by Tomas Luis de Victoria.

momcat
12-13-2011, 03:32 PM
When it comes to Christmas music I prefer contemporary over traditional. 3 of my favorites are:

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer
Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano
I'm Gonna Lasso Santa Claus by Brenda Lee

pomtzu
12-13-2011, 03:45 PM
When it comes to Christmas music I prefer contemporary over traditional. 3 of my favorites are:

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer
Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano
I'm Gonna Lasso Santa Claus by Brenda Lee

Just so you don't say the one of the dogs barking Jingle Bells. That one makes me want to barf.

Contemporaries - I also like Feliz Navidadd, and the Bing Crosby/David Bowie duet of Little Drummer Boy.

sallyandsnowx
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
No doubt "Christmas Shoes." I remember the first time I heard that song, I wanted to cry! It is so sweet and thoughtful. Definitely one of my favorites.

Oh... and I love Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer. :p

carole
12-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I think it is called walking in a winter wonderland.

luvofallhorses
12-13-2011, 05:05 PM
The First Noel
Do you hear what I hear
Winter Wonderland
Silent Night
Let It Snow
Deck the halls
I'll be home for Christmas
Silver Bells

Lillycat
12-13-2011, 07:25 PM
I sing with a women's chorus and Mary, Did You Know was on this year's program.....everyone loved it.....

Roxyluvsme13
12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Jingle Bell Rock
All I Want For Christmas Is You
Do They Know It's Christmas
Happy Christmas (War is Over)
The Christmas Song
O Holy Night

Honestly though, I like any Christmas music minus a select few songs. It's my favorite Holiday!

Asiel
12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
The first Noel
Little drummer boy
Silent night.

happylabs
12-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Just so you don't say the one of the dogs barking Jingle Bells. That one makes me want to barf.

Contemporaries - I also like Feliz Navidadd, and the Bing Crosby/David Bowie duet of Little Drummer Boy.

Whaaaaatttt??? You don't like the barking dogs Christmas? :eek:

I heard John Lenon's "A Very Merry Christmas" today on the way to work. Have always like that one.

Bonny
12-14-2011, 09:52 AM
White Christmas with Bing Crosby singing it
Jingle Bell Rock
Silent Night
Hark The Harald Angels Sing
O Holy Night

moosmom
12-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I can't STAND Christmas songs!!! Yeah, I know...BAH HUMBUG!!!

sparks19
12-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Oh gosh... all of them? there really are so few Christmas songs I don't like lol.

I love all christmas songs, all christmas movies... I love christmas everything and if they had a radio station in the car that played christmas music 365 days a year... i would listen to it 365 days a year lol

Hannah's favorite right now is "Rocking around the Christmas Tree"

phesina
12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I can't STAND Christmas songs!!! Yeah, I know...BAH HUMBUG!!!

I'm with you here, Moosmom!

Actually, there are some performances I like.. Just not all that hokey, kitschy stuff that bombards us all in the stores, on the radio, even in my workout classes..

carole
12-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Really you guys don't love xmas carols, oh dear and i thought you both loved me lol.:Djust kiddin, i actually like quite a few of them, but not all of them, just the merrier ones.

Karen
12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
It's funny, I love most Christmas carols, despite the illogic of some of them. Like in "Do You Hear What I Hear" - which we sang in choir a couple weeks ago, it struck me. There's a line "The child, the child, shivers in the cold, let us bring him silver and gold ... " Well, that's not gonna warm the kid up any! Why not blankets and pillows?

Maybe it's just me ...