PDA

View Full Version : Life Span of a Toaster Oven?

Catty1
12-11-2011, 06:21 PM
My mom seems to think that both my toaster oven and microwave should be replaced!

I found out how to check my microwave for leaks: http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Microwave-for-Leaks

But I can't find anything on a toaster oven. Mine is a Hamilton Beech, and I have had it for at least 5 years. I use it about 4 times a week, and there are no problems with temperature,etc. I keep it clean.

What are the signs that it's time to replace it?

Thanks!

Karen
12-11-2011, 06:30 PM
If all its function works, and there's no rust or corrosion, it does not need to be replaced. Age has little to do with whether an appliance should go, condition and function are everything!

Freedom
12-11-2011, 08:14 PM
FIVE years? Good for you! I am quite hard on equipment, I tend to break it in about 2 years! So as Karen said, if it works, don't worry about it.

Karen
12-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Our toaster oven is probably 15 or more years old ... don't remember when we bought it, and it is still doing fine!

Catty1
12-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks! Mom is sure these items are going to burn my house down...*sigh*.;)

koxka
12-12-2011, 03:58 AM
Uh...my microwave oven is leaking! I have tried the cell phone method.

A new microwave oven is now on my wishlist to the Magic Kings!:p

Thanks for the link.

pomtzu
12-12-2011, 07:08 AM
As the old saying goes; "if it ain't broke - don't fix it". :p

Don't have a toaster oven, but the microwave is over 17 years old, and until it dies, we'll continue using it. We just got a new range, even tho the old one was 20 and still working fine. - just wanted a ceramic top which the other didn't have.

Cataholic
12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I got rid of my toaster and have a toaster oven, which I LOVE! I tend to use appliances until they break. I do need a new coffee pot. The arm doesn't stay closed, and the coffee overflows, grounds everywhere. Ugh.

finn's mom
12-12-2011, 03:33 PM
I use things until they don't do what they're meant to anymore, or unless I just really want something newer and/or different. As for those things burning your house down, haha, just tell your mom you'll keep your fire extinguisher handy when you use them, and unplug them when you aren't (which is a good idea, regardless, I unplug pretty much everything when I'm not using it).

beeniesmom
12-13-2011, 04:55 AM
If all its function works, and there's no rust or corrosion, it does not need to be replaced. Age has little to do with whether an appliance should go, condition and function are everything!

I agree. We have a toaster over that is over 20 years old and works fine. On the other hand we've had appliances conk out after less than a year of normal use.

Asiel
12-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Our toaster oven is 28 yrs old and works as well as the day I bought it. The micro is 12 yrs old and works fine also.

Catty1
12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
koxka - what is the cell phone method?

I tried it - but am I supposed to unplug the microwave first?

Thanks.

koxka
12-13-2011, 11:37 AM
LOL, Can-Dance, That's on the link you posted!!:p

To sum up:

Unplug the oven

1-Put your cell phone in the microwave. Shut the door.

2-Do not turn on the microwave!

3-Dial the number of your cell phone. If it rings, you have a leak. If it doesn't ring, your microwave oven is fine.

The question is if your oven is hermetic ot not enough for the electromagnetic waves come in or out.

Haven't tried the fluorescent tube yet for large leaks.

pomtzu
12-13-2011, 12:00 PM
If the cell phone method is tried and true, then I'm safe, My 17+ year old microwave doesn't leak! :D

cool4catz2
12-14-2011, 10:34 AM
No leakage in mine!

Catty1
12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
koxka, yes it is on the same page! That's what I get for not scrolling down! :D

I will try again and UNPLUG the oven.

Duh - nothing like me not reading all the instructions!:o