PDA

View Full Version : So Mikey (grey kitty) to the vet this evening

mrspunkysmom
12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Grey Kitty (I call him Mikey and now the vet does too) is one of the store cats. He belonged to the owner's son but was jealous of the wife's pregnancy.

Anyway, I came in just to chat and check on things and Vicki had me look at his eye. He has the worst case of conjunctivitis I've ever seen. (I've seen worse pictures, but this was scary.) The eyelids were red, the third eyelid very visible, just leaking pus, and the side of his face swollen. He could barely open his eye. She said he kept trying to rub his eye and face on everything. She had been treating it for 24 hours with Terramycin with no change, but I was afraid that there might be something else or even an injury. So he went to the vet with me.

No injuries, but he did get a shot of convenia and some fresh terramycin. I think the vet cleaned out his eye because he was opening it later back at the store and it looked less runny.

Before anyone says anything, Vicki is a friend that lets me de-stress at her store after school. Her husband has some permanent lung infection from asbestos that is a multiple-drug resistant strain and the cost is astronomical.

So Mikey got some meds for his eye, two booster vaccines (that my vet gave me a choice of not doing), and a new name. :D

cassiesmom
12-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Big purr-ayers for Grey Kitty Mikey!

:love: from grey kitty Cassie and Elyse

catmandu
12-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Joseph, Moose , My Smokies and All Of Our Gray Angels are coming to visit Mikey to see that he is all right.
We are praying that your Little Gray Cat of the Future will be all right, and home soon.:cool::cool:

phesina
12-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Prayers and healing energies for Mikey that he is well again soon.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
12-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Aww, thank you for helping Mikey. :D That is a great thing you did. :)
I hope he feels better very soon.

katladyd
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Feel better soon, sweet Mikey!:love::love:

sallyandsnowx
12-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Get well soon, Mikey! :love:

mrspunkysmom
12-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for your prayers. His Grandmeowmie, Vicki, thanks you, too. She really is worried about her grey kitty.

I don't know how long it takes to heal or improve. When I saw him tonight, it wasn't leaking as bad, but was more swollen. Or appeared that way. However he was opening it.

Has anyone here had any experience with severe conjunctivitis?

I'm checking on him tomorrow morning.

BTW, Mikey is a store cat and a family member of Miss Vicki. That has been his home for almost 9 years. He likes being an only cat and a lonely curmudgeon. He does have to steer clear of the store Diva, who while smaller than him, has been known to punk him out. :D

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll keep you posted.

Snickismylife
12-10-2011, 12:10 AM
we feel horrible for MR.MIKEY Snickers and I will say a prayer for health :)

krazyaboutkatz
12-10-2011, 01:12 AM
I sure hope he'll heal up quickly. I haven't had this kind of experience but a friend of mine has and I think it took at least a week to see improvement. Her cats have the herpes virus so they also had to have lysine added to their food.

mrspunkysmom
12-11-2011, 01:03 AM
So another question.

When applying the terramycin, do you just coat the eyelid or open the eye to make sure the medicine gets into the eye? I open the eye as instructed by a vet many years ago, but my friend's vet said that could cause pain so just apply it to the eyelid and massage it into the eye as best as possible.