PDA

View Full Version : allergic to cats?

Phoenix
12-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Really I just wanted to ask mainly about allergies to cats. I have wrote up this post already to find it didn't send so here I go again.

So I grew up with animals and I have never gone a period of my life without some kind of animal. Early in my teens I found I was allergic to cats and dogs which I didn't really know before as I was depressed and isolated myself so was only exposed to my own cat's and dog's.

When I stayed at my partner at the times house he had 2 dogs and a few cats and I would end up with quite a bad reaction. So that's when I realised.

The only thing is that I seem to be okay with the animals I already had and suffer with animals that are not mine.

The reason I'm saying all this is because I'm allergic to Princess and always have been. My throat starts itching and I start sneezing and my chest closes up (well not quite, just feels like it). I saw Phoenix and Princess yesterday and when I left the sneezing itching and breathing affects wore off I'm still left with blood spots all over my body.

When Phoenix is ready to come home will I eventually become immune to her? Or will I still be allergic to her? I have never got use to princess but then I guess I'm never really around her.

Nothing will stop me being around animals as they are my life and I'm working towards being a vet so just quite curious really.

aTailOf2Kitties
12-08-2011, 07:00 AM
I would consult an allergist to see if there are some sort of meds you can get on to prevent reactions. My father in law is allergic to cats, but is fine when he comes to my house because he is only there a few hours. When his daughter comes to visit from out of town and brings her cats to stay his house, then he takes some sort of meds or gets an allergy shot becuse they'll be there a week or more.

Some allergies do come and go, though. I had cats a lot growing up without issues, but I still used to have sinus problems when I worked at the local vet some years later. But they got better over time, to the point where I adopted a few felines since then.

Karen
12-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Everyone's body is different in terms of allergies. Some people will grow to tolerate their pets, other people will still have a problem. There are methods you can take to limit the amount of dander you breath in - Phoenix should NOT sleep on your pillow once she comes home, for example. She should have her own bed, and if possible, be kept out of your bedroom during the day, so she doesn't sleep on your bed. but do talk to your doctor. Some people get allergy shots and find is successful over the long term. Some people find they are okay with the help of allergy medication.

I, sadly, am not allowed to ever own a cat because my allergy is so severe. My sister had allergy shots of over ten years, and it did not diminish her cat reaction one bit, and her dog allergy just a little but wiped out her tree pollen allergies - it varies person to person.

Phoenix
12-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Thank you for the replies. Medication is not an option for me as I'm already on a harsh type of anti-histamine that I use for off label purposes. That doesn't help prevent it from happening and I know I can not take another type on top of it without ending up in hospital.

She won't be allowed in my bedroom but I know that even her fur on my clothes will give me a mild affect (itchy skin, sneezing).

I will find out what else I can do, I may be fine with it but just want to prepare before hand.

Thank you

mrspunkysmom
12-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I, too, can speak to allergies. Right now I am covered in hives, including my face. My lips have been slightly swollen all day. I have had my sinuses swollen deep in back and the throat started to close one recent morning.

Most of this is due to job stress. However, I do believe there is a biologic component. I've narrowed it down to glutens (but not present in everything I eat), one or more types of yeast, or soy products. I'm banking on yeast since I tend to have problem with systemic yeast imbalances.

If there is a biological/food trigger, I am so screwed. :eek:

Don't assume it's the cats. Stress can be a major factor. So could a flea medicine, shampoo, or even food.

So right now I'm on Allegra (I ran out! ARGH!) once per day mornings, loratidine once in the evenings, ranitidine twice per day, and anti-anxiety drug ( of the 'pams) every 4 to 6 hours, and prednisone supposedly once per day. I felt better on two per day but was supposed to move to once per day but I took and extra one this evening.

And I have to take an extra Metformin for diabetes because the preds can elevate blood sugar.

If this seems excessive, the alternative may well be a permanent one communing with the worms.

Phoenix
12-09-2011, 01:37 PM
No I know that my allergies is to cats. I was allergy tested a few years back so I know it is. It also only comes up as a result of being in direct contact with cats or dogs so I know it is nothing else. In other words I always have a reaction every time I visit my sister.

I'm also allergic to dust which ALWAYS brings up hives. I again was put on real harsh drugs as I was developing hives daily and had to go through an elimination process. Loratadine doesn't help me at all, and neither does any of the other meds I have been on. The med I'm taking now on a daily basis is Phenergan, I have taken it every day since june but use it for nausea and vomiting (for my illness) and it doesn't help my allergies although it's an allergy med.

Karen
12-09-2011, 02:10 PM
As long as you are diligent about cleaning, and no kitty in the bedroom, it should cut down on the histamine level. I am hoping you don't have wall-to-wall carpet, and if you do, consider changing that out to area rugs that can be washed more thoroughly more often, for your dust mite allergy.

Everything you can do to cut down the dust mite will of course help!

Phoenix
12-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks Karen, I have OCD so as long as cleanliness goes it will always be spick and span!

I'm moving out very soon and I will get floor boards and will have rugs. That's more hygienic anyway.

Phoenix won't be coming to me until I move out and everything is set up so I will take every precaution I can so things are easier.

Karen
12-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks Karen, I have OCD so as long as cleanliness goes it will always be spick and span!

I'm moving out very soon and I will get floor boards and will have rugs. That's more hygienic anyway.

Phoenix won't be coming to me until I move out and everything is set up so I will take every precaution I can so things are easier.

I'm sure your allergy doc told you plenty, but if you need more tips about eliminating dust mites, I know them all by heart! My dust mite allergy is so severe they don;t even bother to test for it any more, because it skews or obliterates the results for everything else near it!