PDA

View Full Version : Bloat question

Sowa
12-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I've always been worried when my dogs get a bloated belly. I read about the symptoms and such before but I never really knew much about it. I've been doing a lot of reading about it today but still have questions.

I found this thread about someones experiences.
http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.com/dog-forums/showthread.php?p=419293#post419293 (am I allowed to post another forums threads???)

I also saw a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1WrT2719yo&feature=share

I'm curious if your dog will ALWAYS show these signs? For example Clover's belly was big last night, she had thrown up the day before and was sick, but that evening she wasn't showing the other signs of bloat like pacing, attempting to throw up, etc. So should I be certain it's not bloat? I really don't have the money to rush her to the vet every time her belly is big. However if there is a CHANCE she could have it, I have no problems checking.

From everything I'd read it seems the dogs always have these symptoms. Can anyone verify this or add anything else I need to know?

IRescue452
12-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Autumn bloats up like a fat orange pumpkin when she's in pain. When she throws out her back, when her arthritis is bothering her, whenever there is pain involved. Its not the same as a twisted stomach in her case. She's done this since 6 months old when she first slipped a disc. I don't know how you can tell in your dog if it is or isn't, but I can tell you some dogs puff up when in pain if it helps.

pomtzu
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Girl, you're gonna worry yourself into an ulcer! :eek: From the latest pics you posted in the other thread, she looks like she's feeling a lot better. If she had bloat, she'd be a VERY sick little girl. Give her some time to bounce back, afterall, she did have major surgery!

Sending {{{hugs}}} to you and Clover! :love:

Sowa
12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Girl, you're gonna worry yourself into an ulcer! :eek: From the latest pics you posted in the other thread, she looks like she's feeling a lot better. If she had bloat, she'd be a VERY sick little girl. Give her some time to bounce back, afterall, she did have major surgery!

Sending {{{hugs}}} to you and Clover! :love:

No no, I don't mean I think she has it now. I just want to know for the future what to look for exactly.

Karen
12-06-2011, 02:47 PM
She's not as prone to bloat given her breed and structure. It CAN happen in any dog, but it is more likely to happen in dogs like greyhound or Great Danes that have a deep chest and narrow stomach. As long as you don't instigate play or running right after she eats, I would not worry about it. If she had it, she would be in pain and act that way, not just have a bug belly.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Just a quick overview of bloat.... Gastric dilation volvulus (bloat) is basically dilation of the stomach with ingesta and gas with rotation of the stomach into an abnormal position. It is typical seen in large, deep-chested breeds (Great Danes, Dobermans, Greyhounds,Irish wolfhounds, etc). Some dogs have often eaten a large meal, drank a large portion of water (sometimes too fast!), and often engaged in heavy exercise following either. Vomiting, reaching, and bloating. GDV is typically diagnosed with radiographs. I hope this was at least somewhat helpful!

Asiel
12-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Sowa you need to take a deep breath and realize your dog is a lot tougher than you think. I know how hard it is not to worry but believe me Clover seems to be doing better each day. Stop reading all those articles and relax. Clover doesn't enter the conformation or type of dog to get bloat. The deep chested breeds are the most vulnerable. The worst cases I've seen are in German Shepherds. Beaucerons, Dobies and another that escapes me. I think GSD are the most prone for some reason and saying that, we've always owned Shepherds and not one ever bloated. It's mostly in the lines so if you study the parentage you just avoid lines that carry bloat, not that it can't happen anyway but your chances are far better of not getting it.
Go cuddle up to Clover and try to be cheery so she won't pick up on worry vibes....she will be fine once she's completely healed and she'll let you know when that day comes.
Yes I know, I'm one to talk when I chew my nails at the least little thing that happens to mine..:D

Sowa
12-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm not trying to say she has bloat right now, all I'm asking for is to know the signs so I know. I'm not worrying about her bloating right now. I just want to know the signs.

chocolatepuppy
12-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Sowa, probably the best info you have on bloat is that video of the Akita that had it. Here are the signs.
excessive salivation/drooling
extreme restlesness/pacing
unproductive attempts to vomit/defecate
evidence of adominal pain(whining and tenderness in the stomach area)
adominal distention
rapid breathing/panting
cold/pale mouth membranes
collapse

Kater
12-06-2011, 11:02 PM
excessive salivation/drooling
extreme restlesness/pacing
unproductive attempts to vomit/defecate
evidence of adominal pain(whining and tenderness in the stomach area)
adominal distention
rapid breathing/panting
cold/pale mouth membranes
collapse

I think this is a good list.

Here are two more links that may be helpful...
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=384
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672

Usually it is very apparent to an owner that something is seriously wrong with their dog in this situation. You are going to see more than just abdominal distension and the dog will most likely get progressively sicker in pretty short order. I am not sure what breed or age your dog is, but you may want to consider gastropexy (surgery that can prevent or greatly reduce the likelihood of bloat/GDV) if it is a big concern for you.

KYS
12-12-2011, 02:24 PM
My Rocky bloated/twisted 4 months ago. His symtoms:
Restless, he could not get comfortable. He would repeatedly lie down than get up. He tried to throw up but nothing would come out and he was wimpering. He was able to get into the van to take to the emergency vet where he was x-rayed. His stomach had twisted and he was put down 1 month before his 12th birthday. The signs were pretty clear, when he could not sit still, wimpering and trying to throw up but nothing comming out. He was very uncomfortable.

I do not think Bloat is that common. Rocky was a very deep chested dog, a worry wart and he was almost 12. Maybe these contributed to bloat. His sire also died of bloat at age 9.
When I got my first Akita that was the 1st time I ever heard of bloat. I worried sick about it and Sheba never got Bloat. By the time I got Rocky, I learned not to worry about it, but be aware of the symtoms just incase.

A dog who has bloat will be very uncomfortable, stomach might be extended and the signs will be clear if it is happening.

Karen
12-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Audrey, I asked this question of Dr. Carol for you, for the "Ask a Vet" section of the radio show. I just emailed you the audio file, I hope you find it helpful!