PDA

View Full Version : OT...Cleaning question

redbird
12-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I have a stainless steel sink which I never had before and I've been using Ajax to clean it. I don't like the way it cleans and it leaves a white residue in some areas of the sink. Is there a stainless steel cleaner out there that I don't know about? Please let me know, thanks.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/CHRISTMAS%20GRAPHICS/imagephp.jpg

Catty1
12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Vinegar.

First, do this (it's a pain, but maintenance is easy): Put the drain plug in, add about 1 cup of white vinegar, and fill the sink right up with hot/warm water. Leave for an hour and drain.

Then dry it out with a clean rag or towel.

To polish it up, fill a spray bottle with vinegar and water (I do a 50/50 mix). Spray it on and in your sink, and polish with a dry rag or towel.

Maintenance - wipe it down with a dry cloth; any moisture in the sink (clean stuff!) should be enough to give it a nice shine.

Ajax is too hard and abrasive for the stainless steel. If you have to scour, try baking soda or Vim.

redbird
12-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Vinegar.

First, do this (it's a pain, but maintenance is easy): Put the drain plug in, add about 1 cup of white vinegar, and fill the sink right up with hot/warm water. Leave for an hour and drain.

Then dry it out with a clean rag or towel.

To polish it up, fill a spray bottle with vinegar and water (I do a 50/50 mix). Spray it on and in your sink, and polish with a dry rag or towel.

Maintenance - wipe it down with a dry cloth; any moisture in the sink (clean stuff!) should be enough to give it a nice shine.

Ajax is too hard and abrasive for the stainless steel. If you have to scour, try baking soda or Vim.

Ok thanks I'll try that next time. I just bought a gallon of white vinegar cuz I use it to clean out my Keurig coffee maker. It seems vinegar cleans out a lot of stuff.

Freedom
12-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Yup, white vinegar is a fantastic cleaner!

robinh
12-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Baking soda is wonderful too. We used to use a harsh chemical cleaner to clean the stove but my SO's sister told us to just try baking soda, it works just as well and isn't harsh to the environment or your hands.

Pinot's Mom
12-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Borax! Great in stainless steel!

Freedom
12-03-2011, 08:40 AM
I have 6 booklets, uses for white vinegar, for baking soda, and such. I've pretty much eliminated chemicals from my cleaning supplies. Between "going green," keeping healthy, and having the crew of 15, it just made sense. Not to mention these items are less costly too = which means more treats for the Crew! LOL

http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

Medusa
12-04-2011, 07:41 AM
And there are stainless steel cleaners out there. I use one; it's sort of like a wax and it puts a really nice finish to the SS after you're done w/cleaning it. After that, liquids run off and they won't stain as much.

carole
12-05-2011, 02:45 AM
well i have one that is rather unusual, it is shaving cream, i hear ya, saying what on earth , i read about this and tried it myself, i regularly clean my stainless steel rubbish bin with it, and it works a dream, and shines up nicely too, never tried it on the sink, but now i am thinking why ever not, i just use a budget shaving cream and you don't need a lot either.