PDA

View Full Version : Nano - Won't Drink Any Water Suggestions & Prays!

Anikaca77
11-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Nano came to us from a shelter that was going to euthanize him. Nano is 6 years old and he was combo tested negative. He came to us very thin, you could feel his ribs and his back bone. He has been with us for about a week now and all he was doing was hiding under our bed and we'd check on him and I even saw him come out so I figured he was getting enough water and I put food under the bed for him. On Friday we decided to pull him out and check him over just to see if he's put on any weight...sadly he must not have been coming out for water and he was very dehydrated, we felt so terrible about this and immediately got a vet appt. for Friday and got him in. They gave him Sub Q fluids..which we had to do at home as well and that was scary to do the first couple times. Now his scruff goes back down like it should but he isn't drinking any water.

We are scared that maybe he was sick to begin with but we are trying to get him to take in water. I've been giving him any canned food he wants, he seems to like Friskes the best so I've been mixing in some water with that but other than that he isn't drinking. He doesn't have rabies either.

Any tips on how to get him to drink water??

I don't want to force water but if I have to I will but I'd like him to start drinking on his own.

moosmom
11-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Try putting water into his canned food. That's what I do. If worse comes to worse, squirt a couple of syringes full into him. Also, try tuna juice.

Randi
11-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm not going to suggest Clam juice ;) but mixing in some water with his various wet foods is a good idea. Also, try to put his water in different places. He may feel safer in some areas.

I hope you'll get him to drink on his own. When the vet checked him, was his numbers fine?

Sending kisses to Nano and hugs to you. :love: Thanks for all you do!

Anikaca77
11-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I've been adding some water to his canned food but I still don't think that would be enough. We will try tuna water again and see if that works but he didn't like that before but we can try it again.

Anikaca77
11-28-2011, 11:41 AM
We actually didn't do any blood work at that time because we were more concerned about getting his hydration back but I suppose we should have at that time but we didn't. We are probably going to have to take him to a vet if he doesn't start drinking on his own soon.

I'm not going to suggest Clam juice ;) but mixing in some water with his various wet foods is a good idea. Also, try to put his water in different places. He may feel safer in some areas.

I hope you'll get him to drink on his own. When the vet checked him, was his numbers fine?

Sending kisses to Nano and hugs to you. :love: Thanks for all you do!

redbird
11-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I hope Nano will start drinking his water soon and I hope he is a healthy kitty. If things don't change, just bring him back to the vet as you mentioned. Sending many good vibes for your Nano.

aTailOf2Kitties
11-28-2011, 12:32 PM
cats like well-aerated water. Try a big bowl with an aquarium pump in it or a pet fountain. That's why a lot of them drink from the toilet or faucet, every flush or rinse is like a fresh bowl.

Karen
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I will echo - flavoring the water with tuna, chicken or something enticing may help!

katladyd
11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
My Siamese boy, Ming, was never a big drinker and used to get blockages from time to time. He is now on meds, but the vet suggested getting a fountain and see if that got him to drink Yep, sure did. He is now at the fountain at least three times per day. Try that. All of my cats love the fountain! Kimba, my youngest, also likes to drink from the faucet. He likes his water "on tap", so I leave a slight trickle of water coming out from the bathroom faucet for him. Cats have their peculiarities all right.:rolleyes:

Freedom
11-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Cats in the wild rarely drink water from a stream - they rely on their prey for their fluid intake.

Feeding canned is a good start. But maybe a high quality food rather than a grocery store quality. If you can get some Halo canned cat food, that is a good one.

I haven't tried adding flavoring to my cats' food bowls. I do to my dogs all the time, they get chicken broth - low sodium, fat free, of course! LOL

He is hiding under a bed - does he have what he needs in that room? Food bowl, water bowl and litter box? Be sure the litter box is at least 10 feet from the food and water dishes. Is the door open? Maybe close it so he feels safe in the new environment and will come out and eat / drink at a relaxed pace. Make a routine of going in at set times, so he knows that between those times he will not be disturbed and can relax. Stress not only will dry him out, it will prevent him taking in what he needs. Just a few thoughts.

Good luck!

mrspunkysmom
11-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Bertie and Alex were stressed after being abandoned by their owners. Alex finally relaxed enough to be loving and was eventually adopted. Bertie is finally playing and I don't have to drag her out to get her to eat. She's not drinking much but she is getting wet food.

It took Bertie a month to chill out and relax so that she demands to eat.

I think it took Alex less time. He actually stopped eating and had to be force fed KMR.

Good luck and give him lots of love and scritches from me and the kwintet plus one.

Anikaca77
11-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Nano is in our room where he is confined so we can keep an eye on what he is eating and drinking. Last night he finished his canned food and ate some of his dry food too. He didn't have any water that we noticed. I've been putting water in his canned food and mixing it up for him.

This morning he was walking around and he has been improving but I just wish he would drink some water. I'm just glad he is eating his canned food.

Melissa

Cats in the wild rarely drink water from a stream - they rely on their prey for their fluid intake.

Feeding canned is a good start. But maybe a high quality food rather than a grocery store quality. If you can get some Halo canned cat food, that is a good one.

I haven't tried adding flavoring to my cats' food bowls. I do to my dogs all the time, they get chicken broth - low sodium, fat free, of course! LOL

He is hiding under a bed - does he have what he needs in that room? Food bowl, water bowl and litter box? Be sure the litter box is at least 10 feet from the food and water dishes. Is the door open? Maybe close it so he feels safe in the new environment and will come out and eat / drink at a relaxed pace. Make a routine of going in at set times, so he knows that between those times he will not be disturbed and can relax. Stress not only will dry him out, it will prevent him taking in what he needs. Just a few thoughts.

Good luck!

Anikaca77
11-29-2011, 08:46 AM
We are starting to think he must of been an outdoor cat because he's not used to everyday sounds like a 6 yr old who we thought lived indoors should be.

It will take time for him but already he has been improving on letting us love on him so I'm pleased with that.

Thanks!
Melissa

Bertie and Alex were stressed after being abandoned by their owners. Alex finally relaxed enough to be loving and was eventually adopted. Bertie is finally playing and I don't have to drag her out to get her to eat. She's not drinking much but she is getting wet food.

It took Bertie a month to chill out and relax so that she demands to eat.

I think it took Alex less time. He actually stopped eating and had to be force fed KMR.

Good luck and give him lots of love and scritches from me and the kwintet plus one.

catmandu
12-04-2011, 12:38 PM
:love::love:
We would try skim milk as well or gravy from a roast, or fish oil.

We would not worry as long as Nano does not look dehydrated.
:D:D

Catty1
12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I Just remembered this - years ago when I adopted an outdoor kitty, he wouldn't drink his water, but would go to my roomate's cats' water.

She explained that because she used filtered water (Brita pitcher), it tasted more like water that an outdoor cat would drink. Puddles, etc.

I started using the filtered water and my cat was drinking it!

If you don't have a pitcher like that (there are generic ones that are less expensive), maybe borrow one or buy a bottle of water and see if that makes a difference.

kitten645
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM
No milk please. Cat's aren't built for cow dairy. My vet told me that wet food is often sufficient moisture for kits. Try different variations. Calvin my nuthead has recently decided that he will only drink water from the bathroom sink with the plug closed and him up to his ankles in water! :eek: Go figure. Maybe a fountain. Maybe a people container like a mug or glass. Kitties are particular!:love:

Anikaca77
12-05-2011, 12:57 PM
I had spring water and gave that to him but he wouldn't touch it either. We think that he must of been and outdoor cat and probably was abused. I feel so bad for him but we are working with him.

He doesn't seem to eat a lot either and has no idea what to do with toys either.

Melissa

I Just remembered this - years ago when I adopted an outdoor kitty, he wouldn't drink his water, but would go to my roomate's cats' water.

She explained that because she used filtered water (Brita pitcher), it tasted more like water that an outdoor cat would drink. Puddles, etc.

I started using the filtered water and my cat was drinking it!

If you don't have a pitcher like that (there are generic ones that are less expensive), maybe borrow one or buy a bottle of water and see if that makes a difference.

Anikaca77
12-07-2011, 09:43 AM
http://newringgold.chipin.com/mypages/view/id/bfd1b4b9383b9466

Nano has a vet appt. scheduled for this Thursday, Dec. 8th. He needs some bloodwork done which is $105 and we don't know if they will want to run any other tests or not so we'd like to raise at least $200 for him. If you can't donate please share this. He is only 9 lbs and he needs to gain weight and we've tried every canned food that we can think of to get him to eat and he'll take a few bites but he doesn't finish it all and we've been giving him this vital-cal gel for him which is giving him the vitamins he needs, etc. We really hope our boy will be ok. I'm worried about him.

Catty1
12-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I hope it's something 'simple' - like sore teeth or gums that make him not want to eat!

The vet may want to hydrate him. Prayers and hugs and hopefully I can chip a tiny bit in. Work has been ok...

Prayers for Nano!:love:

Anikaca77
12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I hope it's something 'simple' - like sore teeth or gums that make him not want to eat!

The vet may want to hydrate him. Prayers and hugs and hopefully I can chip a tiny bit in. Work has been ok...

Prayers for Nano!:love:

We've been checking his scruff because he was deyhrated last weekend and we have fluids at the house but he is staying hydrated but he's just so skinny and won't eat. Poor guy. Thanks for the prayers he needs them.