PDA

View Full Version : Worried about one of my snakes. :(

snakemama
11-26-2011, 01:51 PM
My little champagne lady regurgitated a meal last night. This might not sound like a big deal to non snake people....dogs and cats vomit occasionally and it's not necessarily a big deal, right? But for some reason, snakes tend to vomit up a LOT of their gut flora and have a tough time recovering. Even one regurgitated meal can be a BIG deal for a snake.

I've been lucky...I've had snakes for sixteen years and haven't had this happen before. At the same time, because I have no experience with this, I'm freaking out perhaps more than is really necessary. I'm ordering a jar of nutribac probiotics to help restore her gut flora (At least one very experienced herper has theorized that repeated regurges can be the result of overgrowth of yeast in the gut resulting from the ergular flora being depleted) and I'll be taking feedings very carefully for the next few months. Half-sized meals and such...working up to a regular feeding schedule SLOWLY.

Anyways, just wanted to rant a little, because I'm freaking out a bit...I'm very fond of my little lady and I don't want anything to happen to her.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/My%20Snakes/Mirasol/005.jpg?t=1318145174
Yes yes, this picture is terrible. I have an awful time getting pics of her because she's ACTIVE and TINY so I don't want her shooting off every time I take my hand off of her.

Karen
11-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Aww, poor little thing! What's her name? I did not know that about snakes and their gut flora!

snakemama
11-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Her name is Mirasol, and I got her a few months back at a reptile show. She's been eating and shedding and thriving for me until now. I think where I went wrong was feeding her an extra meal this week. I thougth she was big enough to bump up to two pinkies at a time, but now I think she wasn't ready. This actually makes me feel a little better because I'm now pretty confident that she's not actually *Sick*, it was just a husbandry error that I can correct by feeding smaller meals from now on.

Roxyluvsme13
11-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Snakes kind of creep me out :o, but she really is pretty and I like her name! I hope you can get her sorted out and restore her gut flora :)

chocolatepuppy
11-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I hope Mirasol is going to be ok.